England v Nigeria

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: England v Nigeria

Post by hammers92 »

Kane didn’t have one chance created for him at Euro 2016 and was tasked to shoot on 35 yard free kicks and take corners. It was utter madness. He’s undroppable because he’s the best striker in the world. Get the ball to him in the area and he does the business.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

He's no where near the best striker in the world, we peddle these myths and create our own downfall over hyping players, Kane is a very good player yes and also I'd argue a lot of strikers play in weaker teams and still get plenty of goals or fasten their own chances
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

I also think of Vardy comes in that’s probably at the expense of Sterling and I know who I back to score more from the limited chances we’ll get.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Great goal scorer, yes.

Best striker in the world, not a chance.

I'd have Aguero, and Lewandowski ahead of him by a mile.

Shearer or Andy Cole were better strikers in their day.
Last edited by S-H on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

fmgod wrote:He's no where near the best striker in the world, we peddle these myths and create our own downfall over hyping players, Kane is a very good player yes and also I'd argue a lot of strikers play in weaker teams and still get plenty of goals or fasten their own chances
Who’s better than him at this moment in time?
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Great goal scorer, yes.

Best striker in the world, not a chance.

I'd have Aguero, and Lewandowski ahead of him by a mile.
Scored more than Aguero for three seasons running and I bet my house he’d outscore Lewandowski in a one team league.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

hammers92 wrote:
Who’s better than him at this moment in time?
Not saying better but in the same league

Cavani
Suarez
Aguero
Lewandsoki
Higuain
Griezman
Costa
Neymar

Then some questionable ones
Mertens
Icardi
Morata(better record in big games and in tournaments)
Firminio(in a different sort of striker way)
Manzdukic
Dzkeo

To me Kane goes missing in the big games, both FA cup semis this year and last year and then Champions League against Juve, Higuain totally outshone him, great goalscorer he is but I just think he is a very good goalscorer really
S-H

Post by S-H »

There's more to being a world class striker that just sticking it in the net, technically Aguero and Lewandowski are in a different league.

Kane is a great poacher and goal scorer, I'm not doubting that but he is not the best striker in the world.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

somerset-hammer wrote:There's more to being a world class striker that just sticking it in the net, technically Aguero and Lewandowski are in a different league.

Kane is a great poacher and goal scorer, I'm not doubting that but he is not the best striker in the world.
Agreed to me he is a great goal scorer but not a great overall striker or player, without sounding stupid he is a brilliant scorer yes but I think plenty of strikers bring far more overall to a team than he does and are a level or two up from him
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

fmgod wrote:He's no where near the best striker in the world, we peddle these myths and create our own downfall over hyping players, Kane is a very good player yes and also I'd argue a lot of strikers play in weaker teams and still get plenty of goals or fasten their own chances
Exactly, he's probably the best English striker but best in the world I don't think so. Kanes also proved himself to be a bit of a diver and scores a fair few of his goals from penalties. Mo Salah is a better premier league striker as is Aguerro and Griezmann is IMO a better striker. Personally I also rate Giroud as a very decent striker and think the French will do OK in this world cup. I also prefer Arnie as an all-round attacker and would not be pleased if we replaced Arnautovic for Kane.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Come on now, I'd have Kane over Arnie.. :D
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I just watched the highlights. Why was Alli getting booed by the Nigeria fans?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ChzMff wrote:I just watched the highlights. Why was Alli getting booed by the Nigeria fans?
I think it was because his father is Nigerian and presumably, they feel he should have chosen to play for them.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

ChzMff wrote:I just watched the highlights. Why was Alli getting booed by the Nigeria fans?
Because he is Alli.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

This is moving from the game into speculation for the world cup, so moving it.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

somerset-hammer wrote:There's more to being a world class striker that just sticking it in the net, technically Aguero and Lewandowski are in a different league.

I don't think you can call Kane a poacher, he drops quite deep. I would consider putting him in behind Vardy as an alternative if we're struggling in a game. Overall, he's on the same level as those two. He'll get a bit more credit when he ends up playing nine for Real Madrid.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

There’s no debate about whether Harry Kane can score goals. He’s going to end up in the top five Premier League goalscorers of all time unless injury or a move abroad decides otherwise. Of course he starts in the World Cup.

We’re gonna have to work our nuts off and be clinical but hopefully we’ll stick a half dozen in against Tunisia & Panama and then if we deliver the service to Kane he’ll nab the goal we need against the Belgians.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Kane's scored 108m goals in 150 games in the EPL ... plus 13 goals min 24 games at International level ... and we're arguing he's not a great overall striker or player 'a bit of a diver' 'goes missing in the big games' ...

Last season alone he scored against - Dortmund, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus and 2 against us ...

He might be a c*** because he plays for Spubs .. but not a great striker? I'd take him ........
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I missed the first half where we were apparently good, but the second half I caught was dross. Nigeria looked like scoring every time they went forward, and we looked all at sea at the back at times. Apparently Cahill was MOTM, so he must have been like a hybrid of Beckenbauer and Moore first half.

As to the above discussions, the over riding problem with England is we don't have that many top class players any more. A few very good ones and a lot of very average ones. We need to play to our strengths, work hard, have some belief and pray for some good fortune. The reality is, in the knockout stages we should probably be looking to play 5 at the back, keep it tight, hit teams on the break, look to nick a goal or else - shock horror - wait for penalties.

Greece won Euro 2004 doing just that, and as poor as our current crop is, we're still better than they were then.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Patito wrote:I wonder if the krauts are all slating Sané for his measly 14 goals that must have all been put on a plate for him this season...
He's not even in their squad!