#5 France 2-1 Australia ~ Group C

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Re: France v Australia - Match thread ~ Group C

Post by The Old Mile End »

VAR - absolute bollox. Brought to the game by people who cannot accept the refs decision - right or wrong - and simply get on with the game.
He didn't give the penalty, they played on. Should be end of story.
Bringing the game back and changing the refs decision ruins the game that set football apart from so many other sports.

Thing is, looking at it, it is debatable if it was the right decision even after watching it so many times. From some angles he touched the ball - and the player himself thought he got a touch too. His leg did come up after there was contact - but that could all be due to deflection etc.

Major influence on the eventual outcome of the game - and wrong in my opinion.

Thought the Aussies did well - but they muck around with it at the back. Sainsbury was the pick of the bunch.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: #5 France 2-1 Australia ~ Group C

Post by Up the Junction »

I doubt the French will be winning anything this year.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Traditionally slow starters the French, but I don't see enough of a threat in their team.

Mbappe is playing like the star kid in the school team, no cohesion with Griezmann who I think is grossly overrated anyway and Pogba is just Pogba - a lumbering lump who has huge ability but not the noggin to go with it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

You can tell which of the Neville brothers was dropped on his head as a child.

The BBC have picked some morons this year.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

somerset-hammer wrote:You can tell which of the Neville brothers was dropped on his head as a child.
When they were both at Man U I always referred to them as Gary and Dopey.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

He makes for uncomfortable viewing.. utterly clueless.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Kante is very pointless when playing against a team that defends deep. Deschamps is definitely holding the talent of that team back. Dembele and Mbappe probably a bit too raw at the minute as well
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Mile End wrote: Thing is, looking at it, it is debatable if it was the right decision even after watching it so many times. From some angles he touched the ball - and the player himself thought he got a touch too. His leg did come up after there was contact - but that could all be due to deflection etc.
Major influence on the eventual outcome of the game - and wrong in my opinion.
Mine too.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Monkeybubbles wrote:I enjoy Alex Scott
Me too.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

r99c wrote:Is there not an argument to be made that Griezmann regained possession after the initial touch on the ball from the defender? Griezmann took a touch after the defender's touch and then was clean through before being brought down by the defender. That makes it a penalty for me. It's not your normal case of defender winning ball and taking down man with the follow through in one movement without possession being regained.

Nevertheless, France extremely fortunate to win that game and they won't be a factor in this tournament unless they improve a lot.
Even though the ball game back off Griezmann, the tackle which then took him out was one motion. So still no penalty for me. As for RARS comment, maybe I'm wrong but I'm not aware of anywhere in the Laws it says "reasonable contact" with the ball has to be made.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

The Old Mile End wrote:VAR - absolute bollox. Brought to the game by people who cannot accept the refs decision - right or wrong - and simply get on with the game.
He didn't give the penalty, they played on. Should be end of story.
Bringing the game back and changing the refs decision ruins the game that set football apart from so many other sports.
VAR is a tool and it's how it's used that's the issue no it's use. Giving refs more information and less room to make mistakes can only be a good thing and to refuse to use it is a bit like saying why use a hammer when you can always bang in nails with a rock.

The problem is letting the game continue and then going to the VAR screen. If there's a contentious decision to be made the game should be stopped and the VAR screen consulted. In my opinion, the penalty could have been called either way and I wouldn't have awarded it as there was not enough contact. Maybe there needs to be more clarity for the refs that "when in doubt" they don't give the decision? :think:

Collison Theory wrote:Even though the ball game back off Griezmann, the tackle which then took him out was one motion. So still no penalty for me. As for RARS comment, maybe I'm wrong but I'm not aware of anywhere in the Laws it says "reasonable contact" with the ball has to be made.
As far as I am aware - and again, happy to be proven wrong - there is nothing in the laws of the game regarding contact with the football in regards to a foul being commited.
It more comes down to if the referee deems it dangerous/careless/deliberate etc and also, most telling, whether the attacking player is impeded - ergo, for the referee to decide whether the ball was won (it wasn't) and whether the attacker was impeded (he was).

Let's say for arguments sake it was a completely black and white ruling of contact with the ball (which it isn't) then the fact is he did make slight contact, but then so did the attacker straight after which must - by this blanket rule that doesn't exist - puts the attacker back in 'possession', at which point the attacker was then impeded by the trailing leg, so a penalty anyway.

That the defender got the slightest nick on the ball does not detract away from him heavily impeding the attacker's run at goal.
If there was a reasonable contact on the ball which took it well away from the attacker, then the penalty should not have been given. His slid in and tripped the player - you cannot not give that penalty because he ever so slightly brushed the ball.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: - puts the attacker back in 'possession', at which point the attacker was then impeded by the trailing leg, so a penalty anyway.
I haven't watched over the incident a million times, just 3 or 4.

For me, it wasn't a penalty up until that final bit of contact where the trailing leg gets impeded. It's the very last bit of the motion of the tackle, although it's virtually a second incident..........that bit made it a penalty for me.

However, I'm really out of the school where I want to see the bleedin obvious punished rather than an incident like the one above. Yes, it was a penalty in my book.

But, I'm not sure I want such extensive examination of it. .....even if it achieves "technically" the right outcome. I'm worried it's getting too fussy.

The element of spontaneous reaction by fans and players alike is being lost........A VAR goal is s"it The initial reaction has gone, it's lost forever. It counts the same as any other goal but it feels numb....like a numb goal, with the emotion and reaction more manufactured.

Even the penalty decision has lost it's immediate spontaneity That moment where everybody looks to ref to see him pointing to the spot or waving it away. The moment is gone. It's become robotic......You have to wait, and then the moment is lost for good.

I've become more anti VAR than pro VAR..............since it was introduced. I'm beginning to think the the human failure element is better than getting the correct decision every time.

Yes, we will get more technically correct decisions, that's good.............I do worry at the price the game will eventually pay though.

I suspect I'm in the minority.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Never a pen.

We need to move away from things like this that push football towards becoming a non contact sport.

davids cross wrote:For me, it wasn't a penalty up until that final bit of contact where the trailing leg gets impeded. It's the very last bit of the motion of the tackle, although it's virtually a second incident..........that bit made it a penalty for me.
Precisely.
Wonder if it was the other way round, if a French defender had ever so slightly brushed the ball then tripped the Australian attacker, whether it would have got the same objection on here?

I'm used to seeing home bias polarise clear decisions on match threads so often, in much the same way it can do against disliked nations/heavy favourites.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Minuscule touch on the ball, wouldn't have changed the outcome of Griezmann's run, it's actually the foot taking out his back leg that stops him carrying on into the box with the ball.

Clear as day penalty.

:thup: