Qualifying

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironstu

Qualifying

Post by ironstu »

Watching the Russia v Saudi Arabia game yesterday, I couldn't help but think the qualifying process is completely flawed. This is the World Cup, meant to decipher the best team in the world. Teams like Holland, Italy, Chile not being in the tournament whilst teams like Saudi Arabia etc are, for me, defies the point of the tournament.

I get that all teams have to get through their respective qualifying routes and hats off to the lesser teams that have done so. However, there's no doubting that the European and South American qualifying groups are going to be much harder than whoever Saudi Arabia had to play.

Surely there must be a fairer way of doing it for teams that have to qualify in harder groups than those across the world. I don't know what that way would be, but I'm sure some brighter minds on here have some ideas!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Re: Qualifying

Post by sendô »

It's long been stacked against the European teams. If it was purely the "best" teams then there'd be more like 20 european teams, but the argument from FIFA is they want to let more up and coming teams get the chance to enter.

The asian and north american qualifying groups are ridiculously easy for any half decent side. It's incredible that the USA hasn't made it, as it's normally only the Mexicans that they have to contend with.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I think it’s as fair as it can be.

South America have five places at the tournament and there’s only ten teams in the confederation. That’s 50% of the confederation qualifying.
UEFA get 13 places (+Russia as hosts) with 54 teams in the confederation so just shy of 25% of the confederation qualifying.

In comparison Africa and Asia get five places each with around fifty teams in each confederation. That’s about 10% of teams represented at the tournament. Asia are also hindered by the gerrymandering that sees Australia steal an Asian place.

The World Cup should be a world event and it’s fair that all continents get a reasonable allocation. If Chile can’t come in the top five of ten South American teams they can’t have too many complaints about not playing in Russia. Nor should Italy or the Netherlands get a spot thanks to past glories.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

I have to agree with James, its no ones god given right (apart from holders and hosts) to gain an automatic spot to the finals. If you are good enough then you'll get through your qualifying group, the odds are in your favour with the seeding system so it takes a pretty big balls up to miss out on one of the top spots, even then you gets a 2nd chance with the playoffs.

In saying that I'll miss seeing the Italians and Dutch as they have always been a big part of the World cup to me, even though their absence should improve England's chances of reaching the quarter finals before going out on penalties.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Seems fair to me. Fact is Italy and Holland were drawn in tough groups but in the end they simply were not good enough.

Italy were odds on faves to beat Sweden in the play-offs, they failed.