Refereeng

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Refereeng

Post by fmgod »

The big problem with officiating is consistency but the flip side of that is players constantly cheating, loads of little things that should be punished with a yellow ie time wasting, standing over the ball, kicking it away, don't get punished or if they do, the ref will bottle the second yellow
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Portugal / Iran was farcical, and I am being kind. The ref is getting all the stick, but how the VAR team said to the ref you need to look at the handball for the pen is beyond me.

Also Ronaldo, for me it was not a card, but if the ref deemed it a deliberate elbow then it should have been a red card or no card at all.

I think VAR has in the main been very good, but last night was stupid is as stupid does, saying that, made for great entertainment :D
Exactly as I saw it - that Ronaldo one was either a nothing foul (which it was), or else if you're giving a card for the elbow then surely it's a red? Ref not only got it wrong - after consulting VAR - but clearly bottled sending Ronaldo off.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: I completely agree mate, however, the referees are stuck in a hard place.
Not only are the governing bodies creating more grey areas for the refs with things such as simulation, offside, VAR and the like, but they are not giving them the powers to carry out on field sanctions.
Fully agree on the governing bodies being the root of the problem. For me the powers exist but it's the lack of public backing that undermines it all. Every year there's a new directive to stamp out this or that and 5 weeks in it's all back to normal because the media act up the FA/FIFA stay quiet and it all falls away again.
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:It should be simple - if you argue a decision any more than reasonably (like a 'come on ref' or something mildly reactive) then it's a yellow.
If you appear to have been simulating injury - an instant yellow. Same for diving, timewasting and any form of circumventing the rules.

Problem is, as long as it's not in the laws of the game, the referees don't have the power and therefore will always be under scrutiny from fans, media, players and watching their own backs with performance assessments based on these lax rules..
It is that simple though. FA Official Website: Law-12 Fouls & Misconduct (Just a select few ;) )

IFAB Laws of the Game 2018-19

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:
  • * dissent by word or action
    * failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
    * excessively using the 'review' (TV screen) signal (Didn't expect that to already be in!)
    * unsporting behaviour

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
  • * attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
    * shows a lack of respect for the game
SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
  • * using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
The match day officials just need to be backed consistently and not with this they get 96% of decisions correct nonsense more like "the incident where 5 players from team x surrounded the referee in last nights game was unacceptable" etc followed by retrospective bookings. People often say other sports are different more stop start and less passionate/emotional (balls to the less passionate/emotional bit) but they are different, they won't tolerate players, media, fans, coaches disrespecting the match official incorrectly and consistently.
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: The only way to change it, is to create a culture of sportsmanship and to stamp out all this ****, absolutely.
I've also said for some time that for all footballers it should be mandatory for them to take and pass a level 1 refereeing course in order to renew their professional licenses.
100% and the culture starts at the top :thup: