Refereeng

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: Refereeng

Post by Faithless »

umweb wrote:I absolutely without a doubt believe fifa have brought in VAR to control more of the games. it will become more apparent as the tournament progresses.
I think that FIFA have deliberately brought in this kack-handed version of video assistance so that they can shelve it saying it didn't work. Why else have they ignored all the lessons learnt by Rugby, Tennis, Cricket, American Football etc? They have 40 camera's and only 4 people reviewing them, why? Why not employ another 36 analysts that just flag up incidents to the 4 referees for review? Why exclude playacting and feigning injury?

Having read that back I think I may be a little ranty and used "why" quite alot :)
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

I thought the referee for Argentina-Croatia was very weak. He lost control of the match by not showing cards where warranted. Rebic should have been off in the first half and so should of Vrsajlko. How did Rakitic get away with no card when he pulled Messi down late on? Argentina were crap on the night but it didn't help them when they were chopped down all through the match. It looked like Wimbledon of old but with more skill.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Said it before and will say it again - the lack of cards in matches is ruining this tournament.

Giving out a flurry of them last night is losing your head, when you could have stamped it out earlier.

I implore anyone to watch that incident just before half time and try to explain to me, with all the will in the world, why that Argie player did not get booked for that foul leading up to the final chance.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I get what you are saying RARS, it's not spoiling it for me though, I think it is refreshing we are not seeing yellow cards in the first few minutes of the game, but there should be a balance, and that that is what is missing in some games.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Extremely questionable so far, and that’s just the pitch officials, let alone VAR, which appears to be favouring the major sides. RARS is correct - there’s been too few cards shown, especially in the first half of games, and players are exploiting this with some deeply cynical play.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

paulthebubble wrote:I thought the referee for Argentina-Croatia was very weak. He lost control of the match by not showing cards where warranted. Rebic should have been off in the first half and so should of Vrsajlko. How did Rakitic get away with no card when he pulled Messi down late on? Argentina were crap on the night but it didn't help them when they were chopped down all through the match. It looked like Wimbledon of old but with more skill.
Otamendi should have gone off too for effectively trying to boot Rakitic in the head.

VAR is threatening to ruin the game too, as seemingly every "incident" is "about to go to VAR". Have they not trialled this in a **** competition like the Confederations Cup or SPFL?
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Otamendi should have gone off too for effectively trying to boot Rakitic in the head.

VAR is threatening to ruin the game too, as seemingly every "incident" is "about to go to VAR". Have they not trialled this in a **** competition like the Confederations Cup or SPFL?[/quote]

I agree Otamendi should have gone for that.
The use of VAR has been inconsistent. They made a good decision in reversing the penalty for Neymar's acting but later in the day, they didn't do anything for the 100% penalty shout for Mitrovic.
VAR worked well in Italy this season but it looks like they changed the criteria for it's use in the WC.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Said it before and will say it again - the lack of cards in matches is ruining this tournament.
Giving out a flurry of them last night is losing your head, when you could have stamped it out earlier.
I implore anyone to watch that incident just before half time and try to explain to me, with all the will in the world, why that Argie player did not get booked for that foul leading up to the final chance.
Has the introduction of var in this tournament something to do with the reason behind the lack of cards in matches?
Or is it just poor refereeing?
As usual, it's the sheer inconsistency that does everyones heads in.
pharaoh
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

I don't see the link between VAR and lack of cards unless the referee is leaving these decisions to VAR, the system is designed to help referees not be a substitute. Again what's done it for me is the inconstancy. the obvious penalties not given, yet hairline ones given. Fouls given in midfield for simple contact yet rugby style challenges in the area not.

One thing I have been more impressed with is the refs not giving so many fouls for diving…however why aren't these players being booked? It's like the rules change tournament to tournament, season to season.
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

I think the only one booked for simulation was Neymar.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Better today, much better. 2 first half pens is highly uncommon, could have been 3 or 4 granted, but I thought he did pretty well. Panama were very grubby today, I especially dislike all the time wasting when the pens were given.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

didn't look at the clock...but I am guessing at least 2 minutes or more, between the time the first penalty was awarded and the actual taking of the kick...

glad we hit six..wanted 10...

8-)
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Said it before and will say it again - the lack of cards in matches is ruining this tournament..
I know we're in the world cup forum but I'd add the lack of strong refereeing is a major problem in the the prem and football in general. I can't think of a sport other that football were the ref is treated with such regular ridicule and lack of respect by players and coaches. If a player gives a ref a mouthful or waves and imaginary card, book em, if they feign injury book em, don't retreat from a free kick book em etc the culture would soon change
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Plenty missed still, that one that wasn't given for Mitrovic when he had two Swiss defenders wrestling him to the ground was a joke.

Too many ball-to-hand handballs given too.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

sendô wrote:Too many ball-to-hand handballs given too.
Pet hate of min that is!

Meanwhile....when is a studs up two footed out of control lunge not a studs up two footed out of control lunge? When it's Pique! Loads of time for VAR to review it but nothing. Similar challenge gone unpunished now by a Moroccan. Step on someones toe; instant yellow :lol:
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Faithless wrote: Meanwhile....when is a studs up two footed out of control lunge not a studs up two footed out of control lunge? When it's Pique! Loads of time for VAR to review it but nothing.
Incompetence or favouring the "big teams"? Either is unacceptable, of course.
Pique,Busquets,Ramos and Costa - a quartet of ***** - I'll be gutted if they win it.

Faithless wrote: Step on someones toe; instant yellow :lol:
Tbf a lot of those foot-stomps are deliberate, and for every one that gets a yellow there are two that don't.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

uptonparkhurst wrote:Tbf a lot of those foot-stomps are deliberate, and for every one that gets a yellow there are two that don't.
I was being a touch flippant there. Although they only hurt cos players wear stupidly thin boots these days that offer almost no protection from a stud. Same as when every player was fracturing their metatarsals because they'd made the soles so flexible they allowed the foot to bend too much in collisions.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Some strange decisions in the matches tonight both with and without VAR.

Thought Iran’s players and the Spaniards were despicable from what I saw. Pique in particular should have been sent off twice. Iran won’t be missed from this tournament, shame as I usually root for the underdogs.

Up until tonight, VAR had (mostly) been a success in this tournament, but both games were a bit of a mess this evening. Particularly the Portugal game which was constantly stopping and starting. Seemed like the ref had 3 Iranians man-marking him throughout.

This was all made even worse by having to listen to Lawro throughout.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Portugal / Iran was farcical, and I am being kind. The ref is getting all the stick, but how the VAR team said to the ref you need to look at the handball for the pen is beyond me.

Also Ronaldo, for me it was not a card, but if the ref deemed it a deliberate elbow then it should have been a red card or no card at all.

I think VAR has in the main been very good, but last night was stupid is as stupid does, saying that, made for great entertainment :D
rare as rockinghorse shat
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Faithless wrote:I know we're in the world cup forum but I'd add the lack of strong refereeing is a major problem in the the prem and football in general. I can't think of a sport other that football were the ref is treated with such regular ridicule and lack of respect by players and coaches. If a player gives a ref a mouthful or waves and imaginary card, book em, if they feign injury book em, don't retreat from a free kick book em etc the culture would soon change
I completely agree mate, however, the referees are stuck in a hard place.
Not only are the governing bodies creating more grey areas for the refs with things such as simulation, offside, VAR and the like, but they are not giving them the powers to carry out on field sanctions.

It should be simple - if you argue a decision any more than reasonably (like a 'come on ref' or something mildly reactive) then it's a yellow.
If you appear to have been simulating injury - an instant yellow. Same for diving, timewasting and any form of circumventing the rules.

Problem is, as long as it's not in the laws of the game, the referees don't have the power and therefore will always be under scrutiny from fans, media, players and watching their own backs with performance assessments based on these lax rules.

The only way to change it, is to create a culture of sportsmanship and to stamp out all this ****, absolutely.
I've also said for some time that for all footballers it should be mandatory for them to take and pass a level 1 refereeing course in order to renew their professional licenses.