How good is this World Cup?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: How good is this World Cup?

Post by e17 »

Trendy hipster comment to say Italia 90 was gash - Toto Scillachi, Roger Milla, Lothar Matthuas, Gazza & his tears, Germans with gob in their hair, Diego losing in the final, Platts goal.

Bubbs & Pete - you are hipsters. Is that what you want, coz that’s what’ll happen? :wink:
e17

Post by e17 »

(Truth: aside from England & West Germany who were worthy winners, a soundtrack of Stone Roses, Pavarotti & Italian sunshine, Italia 90 WAS gash)
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Think this is definitely my second favourite World Cup. Spain 82 still the pinnacle for me, but there’s been great games, great goals, entertaining tv coverage,, shocks and England’s success to thoroughly enjoy.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Nothing will beat the 1966 World Cup Finals , still remember going to the Amlwch Fleapit to watch ' Goal '! ' [ got the dvd as well ] - brilliant tournament .

1970 was great too as was 1978 .
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Objectively, I really can't tell if this is a good World Cup.
I think it's good but that may only be, because, England have done so well.
What I'm also enjoying is all of the genuine support from the non-English Brits & Irish & everyone else.
It's really great that they are sharing the joy.
I also have to say that now you can really see (as West Ham fans) how certain people at West Ham had seriously damaged our love for football but which this England team, has now reawakened.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Spain vs Ronaldo set a very high bar. There’s probably been better teams in tournaments past, but there’s no question that there’s been some good quality competing so far. Good that the majority of cheating hasn’t been allowed to flourish.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

This world cup is up there in the top 4 imo, great goals great drama and were not even finished yet :scarfer:
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

I'm loving this world cup and it definitely compares, (and probably surpasses) Italia 90 which was incredible. Maybe some may say the football was "gash" and the final was pretty dire but whilst we were in the competition the atmosphere and emotion were incredible. World in motion was a top song too.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Rio wrote:Think this is definitely my second favourite World Cup. Spain 82 still the pinnacle for me, but there’s been great games, great goals, entertaining tv coverage,, shocks and England’s success to thoroughly enjoy.
Me too Rio. That Cup had it all, and I loved that England side. If only Sir Trev had been healthy for the tournament. Iirc, he hit the post against either the Germans or the Spanish. I believe the former.

86 was a close second for me because I was there. I was staying with a Mexican family and got to enjoy the mayhem of their celebrations, and I got to go to 3 matches, all Argentina matches Vs. England, Belgium and W. Germany. But '82 takes the biscuit for me.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'll let you know how good this WC has been hopefully next Sunday evening. :wink:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

It has gone on to be a great World Cup, but I will not allow future revisionism to block out the fact that the first week was absolutely terrible.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

After the last two world cups, I'd fallen out of love with the tournament actually preferring the knockout stages of the Champions League.

But irrespective of England's progress, I think it's been excellent. VAR usage hasn't been perfect but has been generally successful. Unlike in the Prem, very few games have been spoiled by red cards and referees have allowed games to flow. Unlike in the Champions League, results have been unpredictable and to top it all we actually have a likeable England manager with a squad lacking the obnoxious egos of Terry, Wilshere and Ashley Cole.

On the downside, the weaker refs have allowed themselves to be harassed and the play acting continues to be ridiculous.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Two days on from the Sweden game, and I'm still sporting a fairly respectable semi.

Yeah it's been pretty ****ing good World Cup.
e17

Post by e17 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:It has gone on to be a great World Cup, but I will not allow future revisionism to block out the fact that the first week was absolutely terrible.
Wasn’t the Spain v Portugal game during the first week?
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

e17 wrote:Wasn’t the Spain v Portugal game during the first week?
Yea, along with Germany losing to mexico, Russian banging 5 away in their first game and Argentina losing 3-0 to Croatia.
e17

Post by e17 »

Oh yeah. And all of that. :lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Chaps, laugh and try to dig all you want.

I counted about 7 decent halves of football in the first 22 games up to, but not including the Argentina v Croatia game, that was the time when I last said that the World Cup was - at that time - crap.

We'd seen play acting, cheating, stopping of games, dismal defensive football, Uruguay putting 10 men behind the ball against Saudi Arabia and a general lack of attacking play, referees allowing players to run amok and people criticising VAR for not doing it's job properly.

10 instances of 1-0 wins in these first 22 games, an average goal rate of 2.18 (which was less than Italia 90 which was seen as pretty dull defensive tournament) which has now risen to 2.62 which is high for a modern day World Cup.
Goals aren't everything obviously, but they encapsulated things perfectly in this instance - as did the lack of corners and attempts on goal.

Yes the Mexico win was good to watch, Spain v Portugal one of the games of the tournament seing Russia sticking 5 past Saudi Arabia was a blistering opener, but let's not pretend that the first week of this tournament has come anywhere remotely close to the 2-3 weeks since that Argentina v Croatia match.
(Might be worth revisiting each of the match threads for the first games other than the 3 above to get a general feel of opinion too)

That tie was the turning point for the whole competition. It's been great overall and history will see this as a great competition.

But, up until that match, it was ****ing dreadful.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

82' I was a young lad and that WC will always be one of my favourites. One of my favourite ever teams graced that WC, the Brazilians, Zico, Socrates just showing me a new dimension to footballers. Sir Trev, did he not bow out after this WC? brought on with Keegan was it to try and save us?? Definitely a post hit in that game as well, I think...

90 was special, first adult WC, the summer, choons, clubs and rave scene, Platt, Gazza semi final, the heartache of pens, I don't remember the football (quality), but I do remember the good vibe in England, which we felt again in Euro 96'

98 was very cool, had good mates, Owen goal and the celebrations etc, but 98' was more a great social WC, again, don't remember the football as much.

This WC, I have loved it! More so as WHU owners, plus SKY had been chipping away at my love for the great game for a few years now, and this WC, led by sir gareth of the south gate has given me football back. I think overall the games have been very good.

One thing is clear, the WC is not really about the football for me, well it is, sort of, it's everything that a WC gives me with friends, experiences, made better by England doing well.

2018 will go down as the years I mention as just a great great WC. Lose on Wednesday and it will not have spoilt my WC experience.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

RARS I'll agree with you the Uruguay vs Egypt game is an example of dire football. Only a goal in the last few minutes saved that and even that wasn't the best goal
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

Really enjoyed this WC (apart from tonight) thought the refereeing was pretty good overall, it was pretty attacking and liked the young England team and will be cheering Croatia in the final.