How good is this World Cup?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: How good is this World Cup?

Post by e17 »

I think it’s been the best so far since 1998. And I thought the opening round in 2014 was superb, but then it tapered off until the knock outs

Superb tournament so far.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Samba wrote:The final is almost, always utter s****. I sometimes don't even bother to watch it live, if at all.
Actually, now I think about it the only good final I remember was France vs Brazil in 98.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Argentina / Holland 1978 (3-1 aet) was good, as was Argentina / Germany 3-2 (1986) and of course, England / West Germany 1966, even if Geoff Hurst's extra time header to make it 3-2 did not actually cross the line, nowhere near. Brazil / Italy (1970) was the most overrated. Alright up to 1-1, but boring afterwards, after Pele and co. ran riot. Too one sided to be called a great final. All the others and I can date them all, even watched them, going back to Sweden 2 Brazil 5 in grainy monochrome 1958, were not great either
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

EastBrisHammer wrote:Don't agree with that at all. The England group games were hardly inspiring but we weren't a bad side. We managed to get past the dutch who were European Champions at the time. As I said it wasn't a classic tournament but I thought we played well against Germany and deserved just as much as them to get to the final.
I have just read your post and I don't agree with anything you are saying either. Albeit, we best a Dutch side in another game low on quality, but it was a Dutch side in terminal decline, with many players, Rijkard, Gullitt etal 2 years past their use by dates and , similar in many ways to today's Germany team. In the quarters, in yet another awful match, David Platt, swung a leg in the last minute to connect with a Gazza cross in just about the only goal scoring chance of the game. Argentina, conned their way past Italy in the other semi by Maradona convincing the home fans in Napoli to support his Argentina team over their own countrymen. Just about every other game was awful and totally irredeemable. It is a complete and utter falacy Italia 90 was a good tournament, but is remembered only for Gazza"s tears, Lineker's motions to the bench and England's tragic penalty shoot out exit
e17

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Argentina, conned their way past Italy in the other semi by Maradona convincing the home fans in Napoli to support his Argentina team over their own countrymen.
I was in Stadio San Paolo that night. My girly at the time was a Sorrento lass and her lot were Napoli mad.

Absolutely 100% unquestionably wasn’t what happened, Puff.

He was jeered for the entire match and absolutely crucified forever after. Before the game, her old man said “I’m worried that Diego might not be forgiven if he destroys us on his own”.

Within 15 minutes of the match it was clear it would be worse than that. He was diving and cheating every time the ball came near him, and even seemed to be getting off on the home support spitting and shouting “che schifo” & “porca miseria” all over the place.

It reached its climax when one of the Argies got sent off for smacking Baggio, and Diego as clear as day GOBBED towards the home crowd. Never seen it commented on. But it turned the crowd from angry to outright baying.

It was like Sam’s ear cup moment X1000

No surprise he ****ed off to Spain and the Italian FA went for him
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

I am watching more games than I thought I would and the quality of
matches and number of goals being scored is above expectation.
The way VAR is being used needs to be more consistent across the games though, many clear penalties not even being reviewed in some games.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Puff Daddy wrote:Argentina / Holland 1978 (3-1 aet) was good, as was Argentina / Germany 3-2 (1986) and of course, England / West Germany 1966, even if Geoff Hurst's extra time header to make it 3-2 did not actually cross the line,
Were you watching the right match? That goal was a shot from Hurst not a header, and has been debated since the Russian linesman awarded it..it was given.
NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer »

I have just read your post and I don't agree with anything you are saying either. Albeit, we best a Dutch side in another game low on quality, but it was a Dutch side in terminal decline, with many players, Rijkard, Gullitt etal 2 years past their use by dates and , similar in many ways to today's Germany team. In the quarters, in yet another awful match, David Platt, swung a leg in the last minute to connect with a Gazza cross in just about the only goal scoring chance of the game. Argentina, conned their way past Italy in the other semi by Maradona convincing the home fans in Napoli to support his Argentina team over their own countrymen. Just about every other game was awful and totally irredeemable. It is a complete and utter falacy Italia 90 was a good tournament, but is remembered only for Gazza"s tears, Lineker's motions to the bench and England's tragic penalty shoot out exit[/quote]

Completely disagree sorry . It wasn’t a Dutch side in decline having been knocked out by Germany the eventual winners. Current European Champions & finishing 3rd at Euro 92 surprisingly knocked out by Denmark in the semi .

Gullit European cup winner in 89,90 & Serie A winner in 92 & 93 at the time the best league in the world hardly decline.

Good World Cups it’s individual it’s not necessarily just about loads of great games or spectacular goals . It’s about how at the time it made you feel . It could be your age where you lived who you was with

Of course to most English fans of a certain vintage Italia 90 with always feel special. The emotions & feelings are for me who contribute to a World Cup

My first real World Cup was Mexico 86 , aged 10 it seems in a far distant country always sunny & had some great games & goals . The Mexican wave as much as I hate it now aged 10 seeing it for the first time was amazing . Watching Maradona despite the hand of god I feel lucky to have watched him in that World Cup . Plus I love the sound of the commentary & how there voices back then seemed different as technology wasn’t like now .

Italia 90 always special the fact England did well & the romance of it being in Italy at the time Serie A was the pinnacle. Being in Italy it felt right & anyone who doesn’t hear Nessum Dorma & immediately not think of Italia 90 , well . No song in any World Cup makes me think of it like that . Not so many goals but just felt good. I was 14 so an impressionable age maybe

1994 actually was quite good some really good games but at the time being in the US felt odd & didnt have that football connection for me . Although I enjoyed watching without having to be concerned about England

France 1998 I enjoyed & having not been at USA 94 this was first real World Cup I’d watched down the pub
Having been in Australia for Euro 96 & missing out on all the euphoria back home , France 98 felt great to be with mates down the pub watching. That moment Owen scored against Argentina I’ll never forget. As a World Cup it felt right .

I feel France 98 was like the last World Cup before the premier league & Sky really took hold of modern football.

SKorea/Japan I enjoyed that again great beating Argentina & the feel factor was good but by the time 2006 & 2010 I’d grown to dislike half the England team , Rooney, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard,the Nevilles etc so we played **** & actually didn’t want John Terry or Lampard etc to be mentioned in the same reverence as Hurst, Moore & Peters

It’s like I say opinions & emotions at the time & were all different
e17

Post by e17 »

Pub talk yesterday, and it was agreed how, with every WC tournament, you realise after the first 5 or 6 games just how refreshing it is that Sky & co are NOT involved.

Their toxic over-analysis & saturation of 10 top flight games every week purely in the name of money has made the premier league duller than Serie A in the 80’s.

How many mates or fellow supporters do you know who actually LOVE anything about playing in the top flight beyond following their club? and even then that’s just kept alive by the occasional win or players effort

The discussion yesterday was with a Spud STH and a lifelong Citeh fan, so I’m happy to say that outlook and realization wasn’t just provided by the West Ham lot. The money and pumping out of fixtures all to suit that has killed much of their general interest too.

Not saying the WC is perfect, or that the Beeb & ITV are, but it’s far less about Jamie Carragher’s “banter” with Jamie Redknapp or Stelling and co shouting as loud as possible for 4 hours
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

God there are some miserable buggers on here. For me it’s been a great World Cup so far. Too much cheating/****ing granted but for drama and shocks I’ve loved it.
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

At last a ref has the balls to give a penalty for all this ridiculous holding in the box. If they’d done it from the start it would have killed it off. The 2 guys on Mitrovic in the Swiss game was the most blatant pen I’ve ever seen.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I can think of worse starts, from an England perspective.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Game Number 30

No 0-0's
Only 2 red cards
16 Penalties
3 teams have scored 5 goals

Had a dodgy part with quite a few 1-0's but beginning to really pick up again.
e17

Post by e17 »

brothernero wrote:Game Number 30

No 0-0's
Only 2 red cards
16 Penalties
3 teams have scored 5 goals

Had a dodgy part with quite a few 1-0's but beginning to really pick up again.
If the Swedes had held yesterday followed by this afternoons game....

Still pretty much a perfect weekend of great great football

Loving this tournament
droshky
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by droshky »

I think it’s been great so far, we just need a few more mighty minnows. One of the best things is the fantastic support for South American teams, how on earth can they all afford to get there?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

droshky wrote:I think it’s been great so far, we just need a few more mighty minnows. One of the best things is the fantastic support for South American teams, how on earth can they all afford to get there?
An awful lot will already be living in Europe I would think.

As for this tournament, I'm watching it on Italian TV (every game on freeview over here too) and you can turn the commentary off. It's never been so refreshing to watch football, just the crowd noises.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

30 goals in the last 7 games
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Very, very enjoyable.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

NT Hammer wrote:SKorea/Japan I enjoyed that again great beating Argentina & the feel factor was good but by the time 2006 & 2010 I’d grown to dislike half the England team , Rooney, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard,the Nevilles etc so we played **** & actually didn’t want John Terry or Lampard etc to be mentioned in the same reverence as Hurst, Moore & Peters

It’s like I say opinions & emotions at the time & were all different
I think you summed up how I feel about it all. So glad we have a crop of players I actually quite like (apart from Dele Alli).

I would also add that drama is just important in a world cup as the technical ability of the teams involved. In 1990 I remember wanting Scotland to get that draw against Brazil so they could advance to the next round. Sadly, it wasn't to be. I had a fondness for Scotland then after meeting some top Scottish lads while on holiday in Gran Canaria.

I think this World Cup has been enjoyable on so many levels. I hope the knockout stage doesn't disappoint.

I watched Poland vs. Columbia last night and thought Poland reminded me a bit of England of the past few tournaments - bereft of ideas and the star player under performing at a tournament despite being great in qualifying.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

e17 wrote:Not saying the WC is perfect, or that the Beeb & ITV are, but it’s far less about Jamie Carragher’s “banter” with Jamie Redknapp or Stelling and co shouting as loud as possible for 4 hours
Bugger me you're not wrong. Stelling shouting at the tele, Kamara going "unbelieveable Jeff" every time he comes on the tele, Merson not knowing what's going on or the names of any of the players and chucking in **** slangs like 'beans on toast', Thompson and his unabashed bias towards the red scouse, Charlie Nicholas and his Scottish scrappy doo impression.

As you say, ITV and BBC aren't perfect, but they've been much better. I'd rather have Slav, Alex Scott, Martin O'Neil and Lampard any day of the week.