No British Refs

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

No British Refs

Post by GaryP »

The immediate reaction is to thinks its is ridiculous whe you see some of the refs out there but then you think which of our refs should be out there. I can't think of one. Then I saw this article below and the list our FA wanted to replace Clattenberg and then I can see EXACTLY why we have none there.
From Telegraph

There will be no British referees at the 2018 World Cup in Russia for the first time in 80 years. Fifa has announced 99 referees and assistants for the tournament, with none from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Mark Clattenburg was the only British referee named on Fifa’s long list of officials in summer 2016 but he forfeited his place when he left his job with the Premier League in February 2017 to move to Saudi Arabia.
World Cup stunning moments: Scotland's 1978 rollercoaster
Read more

The FA attempted to replace Clattenburg but its request was rejected by Fifa. That means there will be no British officials taking part at the World Cup finals for the first time since 1938.

Video assistant referees (VAR) will be chosen from the pool of officials at the tournament, with all selected to attend a two-week seminar at the Italian Football Association’s base in Coverciano next month.

Europe will be represented by referees from Germany, Turkey, Russia, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Serbia, Italy, Slovenia and France, while there are six each from Africa, Asia, north and South America and two from Oceania.

England’s Howard Webb was Britain’s sole representative at the World Cups in 2010 and 2014, taking charge of the final in 2010 between Spain and the Netherlands. In total three English referees have taken charge of the World Cup final – a tally that is equalled only by Italy. William Ling officiated West Germany’s surprise victory over Hungary in 1954 and Jack Taylor refereed West Germany’s 2-1 win over the Netherlands in 1974 before Webb oversaw Andrés Iniesta’s extra-time goal for Spain in South Africa.

The Football Association and referees’ association PGMOL work together to put forward their choices for Fifa’s international list. The final decision is taken by the FA Referees’ Committee and they nominated Martin Atkinson, Stuart Attwell, Robert Madley, Michael Oliver, Craig Pawson, Anthony Taylor and Paul Tierney for 2018.
:shock:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: No British Refs

Post by e17 »

Whatever you may or may not think of the standard of refereeing in the Premiership, it is the highest profile and most analysed on the planet. Therefore we actually know more about who are the good and bad refs.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

aka: bit fishy to me there's not single English rep there
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I hope we put in an official complaint about the treatment Kane received at corners and the lack of VAR referrals. Can't allow that to continue.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I can't wait to see a VAR referral that might penalise (or punish) the Russians: I think we know how that will turn out!
As for England - even if there'd been VAR in '86 the "Hand of God" goal would still have been given.
Aside from a certain Russian linesman's decision, we've always been on the wrong end of dodgy decisions (imho).
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Don’t worry, you can catch that twat Clattenburg giving it the biggun with he’s massive Audemars showing off how well he’s been paid for being a general ****