#21 Denmark 1-1 Australia - Group C

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: #21 Denmark v Australia - Match thread - Group C

Post by Faithless »

You'd think the REF/VAR/FIFA/The FA/UEFA would see the same thing; If a players hurt they simply don't roll about screaming.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3202 likes

Post by WCpete »

I appreciate all of the hustle and bustle and good old fashioned work ethic with little to no quality, but tbh I hope both these sides leave the Cup soon. Must be what it’s like to watch West Ham every week. Oh wait........
Last edited by WCpete on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Well it was entertaining enough but the quality wasn't great.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

What a truly shockingly poor and dull game.

This World Cup is becoming somewhat of a chore.

(yes, I know I don't have to keep watching it)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Patito wrote:Thought the penalty call was correct. Aussie headed the ball towards goal, didn't deliberately handle it but his arm was in a very odd position high up.
That's not sufficient reason to award a penalty.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Up the Junction wrote: That's not sufficient reason to award a penalty.
Does it have to be deliberate?
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Yes the law is deliberate hand ball as I understand it?
sendô

Post by sendô »

I believe it's either deliberate or stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity (i.e blocked on the line).
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

From the laws

To me that implies there should be very few penalties given for handball. Only cases like Suarez in the 2010 world cup come to mind
Patito

Post by Patito »

I was under the impression that the refs have to take into consideration "unnatural hand position" etc. I am probably wrong though it's probably something I've picked up from poor commentary. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Nice one SS
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Patito wrote:Does it have to be deliberate?
I think the only slightly grey area here is the position of the defender's hand - but given that he's jumping at the time, it's difficult to claim with any validity that it's in an 'unnatural' position.

You'd think all those referees in the VAR studio would know this, though. Strange one.
Patito

Post by Patito »

You are spot on UTJ, it seems someone (in addition to myself) didn't know the rules!
sendô

Post by sendô »

Patito wrote:I was under the impression that the refs have to take into consideration "unnatural hand position" etc. I am probably wrong though it's probably something I've picked up from poor commentary. :thup:
Yep, pundits are terrible for the "unnatural hand position" and the sight of players running around the penalty area or blocking shots whilst holding their hands together behind their backs is largely as a result of the poor interpretation of this law - in short unless you throw your hands out towards the ball, or else intentionally "make yourself big" with arms outstretched hoping the ball hits your hand then it should not be handball.

The exception for me is if someone is on the post and the ball hits their hand unintentionally and prevents a goal - I'd give a penalty but no card for that.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Slacking student wrote:To me that implies there should be very few penalties given for handball. Only cases like Suarez in the 2010 world cup come to mind
They shouldn't have

The handball thing has crept in over the years. It has always been deliberate handball but for some reason because people started shouting for it more and more and a few soft ones were given it became a case of "I've seen them given" and instead of the officials admitting these should never have been given it's snowballed from there.

There have been a lot of very clear cut handball decisions that don't get given. John Terry used to be a past master of standing with his arms outstretched but I can't ever recall a penalty being given against him...(In the Prem at least)
Patito wrote:I was under the impression that the refs have to take into consideration "unnatural hand position" etc. I am probably wrong though it's probably something I've picked up from poor commentary. :thup:
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 524354.stm)
"Former Premier League referee David Elleray said the referee's interpretation depends on whether the hand or arm is in an "unnatural" position at the point of contact."

David Elleray....need we say more :lol:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I'd be fuming if I was Danish then! Poor kid didn't have a clue where the ball was.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

sendô wrote:Yep, pundits are terrible
Not just on this but in general, Twice today McCoist forced the commentator into clarifying that the Ref couldn't look at it again via VAR. Slavs point was at least 50% of handballs aren't deliberate but result in penalties - well then they need to stop awarding penalties incorrectly, Martin O'Neil was spot on. Eni Aluko - 102 caps and still playing - needed to see the law and then changes her mind. Pundits eh?
sendô wrote:and the sight of players running around the penalty area or blocking shots whilst holding their hands together behind their backs is largely as a result of the poor interpretation of this law
Does my head in that :lol: