#23 Argentina 0-3 Croatia ~ Group D

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Patito

Re: #23 Argentina 0-3 Croatia ~ Group D

Post by Patito »

Mumbles - Ronaldo has Jose Fonte in that defence :lol: alongside a past-it Pepe who’s gone to Turkey, Cedic who just got relegated with Southampton and Guerrero who plays in midfield half the time for his club.

Argentina have got a centre back who just won the title with Man City and got in the team of the year didn’t he?

Neither side has a particularly good defence but when Portugal won the Euros they had no marks like Eder in their team, Messi has always had better players around him at international level. The difference between them in these competitions is their attitude, will and Ronaldo’s sheer bloodymindedness to win.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Always had a soft spot for Croatia since the Boban days (what a player / midfield / strikeforce they had ) and when he decided to light the fuse at the game v Red Star.

Croatia play some lovely stuff, and agree with the poster, possibly the best midfield in the WC.

Really enjoyed the game.

As for the Ronaldo v Messi debate, I don't know, both exceptional talents, it is a shame we have not seen what Messi can do. Ronaldo is without doubt though the bigger ****.
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

That was Pamela David on page 4. :thup:
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

How did Croatia get away with only 4 yellows?
Rebic should have been off and also Vrsajlko. How was Rakitic not booked for taking down Messi near the end? 100% tactical foul
If that was West Ham on the receiving end there would have been an uproar on here.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I had Croatia 2/3-0, so nice bit of money there, also stuck a tenner on Argentina not to win a game at 100/1 few weeks ago.

The big problem is Croatia are not getting enough credit, that team is quality, Brozovic, Modric and Raktiic is a cracking three, Manzdukic is a top forward, will work hard, Persic, Rebic and Kramaric will all chip in with goals, Lovren is a decent decent and the right back really impressed me.

The main issue is Sampaoli is a maverick, he is either top notch or baffling, he is baffling at the minute. Not playing Banega, even Le Celso is very odd. Not taking Icardi.

Argentina's team to me looks very poor on paper in 2/4 years

The ref was absolutely appalling, should've been so many bookings, it was dangerous towards the end Argies were just hammering anyway, Modric was getting murdered every time he had the ball
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Patito wrote:Mumbles - Ronaldo has Jose Fonte in that defence :lol: alongside a past-it Pepe who’s gone to Turkey, Cedic who just got relegated with Southampton and Guerrero who plays in midfield half the time for his club.

Argentina have got a centre back who just won the title with Man City and got in the team of the year didn’t he?

Neither side has a particularly good defence but when Portugal won the Euros they had no marks like Eder in their team, Messi has always had better players around him at international level. The difference between them in these competitions is their attitude, will and Ronaldo’s sheer bloodymindedness to win.
Portugal are a 100 times more organised as a team than Argentina

Southampton stayed up btw
Patito

Post by Patito »

mumbles87 wrote:
Because their captain is a leader :wink:
mumbles87 wrote: Southampton stayed up btw
So they did, shame really. :D
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

mumbles87 wrote:

Southampton stayed up btw
So too are Uruguay, who are the most organised team of the lot. I couldn't help myself turn my mind to them as I watched that last night and thinking, as impressive as Croatia are, Uruguay, woudnt have conceded any of those goals. They would have put a stranglehold on that match and would have bored the living daylights out of the viewer and it would have been a 0-0 snoozefest. If the two nations meet at any stage in this competition, you can be sure it will go to penalties
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

paulthebubble wrote:If that was West Ham on the receiving end there would have been an uproar on here.
You’re right, there’d have been rage if it was our lot on the receiving end. But it wasn’t, it was serial arseholes Argentina, who’ve dished that stuff our for decades, so **** them.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Argentina dished it out as well, was a little old school at times, I liked it.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

People don't like Ronaldo because he is cocky, arrogant and it's all about him... but do not look at that for a second...

11 Ronaldo's beat 11 Messi's all day long.

Ronaldo is the complete player.

This World Cup should surely end the debate, Ronaldo is the best player in the world at this moment in time.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

You can't go too far in one direction in regards to who is better, as they ever so slightly fluctuate between World Class and Superhuman.
The fact that you'd have little argument now with anyone who said that either player was the greatest of all time is testament to that.
The difference in general ability and performance is tighter than a gnat's ****.

However, as Row X touches on, the most important aspect is that Ronaldo has done it in different leagues, in different systems, in different positions.
I said on here around 5 years ago (and got laughed at by clueless plonkers) that if you put Ronaldo at right back, within a short period of time he'd be a top right back comfortably.
He has the tools to become a simple target man, a holding midfielder, a second striker. Even a damn centre back or full back!

He's done it as a winger, left and right sided midfielder, a second striker and an out and out forward in different leagues.

Messi has and always will have his own comfortable pampered ecosystem that is all about complimenting Messi into his privileged role.
The guy is World Class and right in any debate for the greatest player ever, but he isn't even close to being as complete a player as Ronaldo is.

Plus, his early career was - let's just say - unnaturally helped along massively.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm not sure why everyone is desperate to make this into a Ronaldo vs Messi debate.

Argentina were crap throughout their team last night, and that's mainly because their squad as a whole is past it's peak and needs refreshing, but hasn't been because there's too many big names who walk into the team and because their manager is crap.

You could have swapped Messi for Ronaldo in that team last night and the result would have been the same. Croatia won that in midfield, where they utterly dominated and where Modric ran the show.

Tournament over for Argentina and a long rebuilding for them ahead of the next world cup - Messi, Higuain, Aguerro, Mascherano, Rojo, Di Maria, Banega all likely to quit.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

As good as it was to watch Argentina lose last night, they will still get through that group, of that i am sure - which is annoying.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

kenthammer1984 wrote:As good as it was to watch Argentina lose last night, they will still get through that group, of that i am sure - which is annoying.

Forget the players they have mate and take a look at their system.They will never get the best out of Aguero or Messi whilst that useless twat of a manager is sending them out to play
Patito

Post by Patito »

Isn't that manager the one who won the Copa America with Chile?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Patito wrote:Isn't that manager the one who won the Copa America with Chile?
I don't care, he's utterly clueless
Patito

Post by Patito »

Argentina's players want him out before the Nigeria game apparently!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Ronaldo is without doubt though the bigger ****.
is it because he spat to an opponent, kicked the ball towards opposing supporters, gave them the middle finger, did an impression of maradona's hand of god?

ronaldo is the same player regardless of the team he plays with.
messi is not the same player without braça behind him.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Maradona: the hand of god
Caballero: the foot of clod