Penalties and shootouts

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Penalties and shootouts

Post by Up the Junction »

An incredible stat. this - and if generally valid, makes you wonder why pro clubs aren't instructing ALL of their players to aim high.
A German professor who has been studying penalty statistics in the Bundesliga for 16 years found 76% of all penalties went in and 99% of the shots in the higher half of the goal went in.
Naturally it fails to state how many of those spot kicks aimed higher miss the target entirely, but it still represents a marked difference.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Re: Penalties and shootouts

Post by sendô »

Basic physics dictates that the keeper has further to dive to get to the top corner than the bottom corner, but it's hard to put the ball smack in the top corner.

Aiming high all the time would also be more predictable for the keeper and thus automatically less successful than before.

It also doesn't state how many are missed by aiming high - as the old cliche goes, you've got to at least hit the target.

I always liked to try and put it where the keeper wasn't, give him the eyes and put it in a corner.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

How many are missed by smacking it straight down the middle? I suspect not that many
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I wonder if we've practiced them this time? There was another study that said that every penalty that has been hit down the middle has gone in but only 17% of penalties were struck down the middle.

I've never understood the whole you can't recreate the pressure of the moment argument. Why practice passing, shooting or free kicks? Why train at all? I'm not close coaching in football but I'm not entirely sure what a lot of coaches do.

I remember Andy Carroll saying that Teddy Sheringham had told him to hang back and attack the space to win headers. This was an 25yo England International that had played for Newcastle, Liverpool and now West Ham and this was apparently first time he'd been told how to attack a ball from a cross or corner by a coach.
Last edited by Faithless on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

sendô wrote:Basic physics dictates that the keeper has further to dive to get to the top corner than the bottom corner, but it's hard to put the ball smack in the top corner.
No-one mentioned top corners - just the upper half of the goal.

Standard goal size is 21ft x 7ft. Which means to aim for the 99% region gives you any part of 73.5sq ft to hit from 36 feet away. Shouldn't be too difficult for professional footballers.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Puff Daddy wrote:How many are missed by smacking it straight down the middle? I suspect not that many
I found this study online. States
A separate study of 286 penalty kicks from the top leagues around the world found that only 2% of goalkeepers remain in the centre. It is calculated that goalkeepers are actually twice as likely to save a penalty if they stay in the middle of the goal rather than dive to one side or the other
https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/4477/1/ ... r_4477.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patito

Post by Patito »

I would imagine players like to keep their head over the ball to make sure they're not leaning back and hitting it over a la Baggio/Zaza.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Up the Junction wrote: No-one mentioned top corners - just the upper half of the goal.

Standard goal size is 21ft x 7ft. Which means to aim for the 99% region gives you any part of 73.5sq ft to hit from 36 feet away. Shouldn't be too difficult for professional footballers.
So all our penalty takers need to do is put it into the top half of the goal, and we'll score 99 penalties out of 100?

Someone get Gareth on the blower. :D
Patito

Post by Patito »

Vidal is/was one of the best at smashing it high into the net.

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VT0Rqt3VB-s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/epdY7XIOR7s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Gylfi just demonstrated why it is unwise to aim high!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I wonder which of the Round of 16 and Quarter final matches will be decided this way, because you can be certain a couple of them will. Me, I just love them, such drama and excitement. I used to tell my late wife this and she would say to me. I have a nasty streak
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:I wonder which of the Round of 16 and Quarter final matches will be decided this way, because you can be certain a couple of them will. Me, I just love them, such drama and excitement. I used to tell my late wife this and she would say to me. I have a nasty streak

I love a good shoot-out as long as neither West Ham nor England are involved!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The best shootout ever was us against Everton a few years back, with Adrian slotting the winner. What an absolutely superb cup game that was.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Otherwise, when England are taking them, I HATE them.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Gloves off, tucked away, knee slide, tremendous!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Patito wrote:Vidal is/was one of the best at smashing it high into the net.

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VT0Rqt3VB-s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/epdY7XIOR7s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
On a side note and this penalty ( the foul ) in the first clip gives a perfect example for me.

I want to ask you, how many times have we seen a penalty like that one, where the player is brought down when there is no way he is going to score as he is going away from the goal and the ball is going to go over the end line. There seems to be more penalties committed like that than a player who is chopped down who cannot miss the goal. You would think the goalkeeper or defender would know if they don't foul him he will be on the end line with the ball at best and will find it near impossible to score if they close him down out there. ( hope I am explaining all this right ) :)
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Julian Dicks should be shipped out to Russia. Bet he can still take a mean penalty.
Patito

Post by Patito »

ageing hammer wrote:
On a side note and this penalty ( the foul ) in the first clip gives a perfect example for me.

I want to ask you, how many times have we seen a penalty like that one, where the player is brought down when there is no way he is going to score as he is going away from the goal and the ball is going to go over the end line. There seems to be more penalties committed like that than a player who is chopped down who cannot miss the goal. You would think the goalkeeper or defender would know if they don't foul him he will be on the end line with the ball at best and will find it near impossible to score if they close him down out there. ( hope I am explaining all this right ) :)

I'm not sure what the rules are on this one, but for me (someone who's always played as an attacker to be fair) the above is still a penalty even though the guy clearly isn't going to score. I think if he isn't going to score then the goalkeeper should take that into account and not take him out. In some circumstances, the reason the attacker isn't going is score is because the goalie has rushed out anyway, causing them to go wide.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

ageing hammer wrote: You would think the goalkeeper or defender would know if they don't foul him he will be on the end line with the ball at best and will find it near impossible to score if they close him down out there. ( hope I am explaining all this right ) :)
I'm the opposite of Patito as I played as defender and you would think they'd know not to commit a foul in that position. It never ceases to amaze me the things professional footballers do. In that clip there is no reason for the keeper to go anywhere other than cover his near post and let the defender close off the options. I'd be livid, livid i tell thee if my keeper did that ;)
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Another example of my point in today's match the penalty for France.

mbappe was going away from goal and would never have scored. All the defender had to do was run with him instead of bringing him down.