Penalties and shootouts

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: Penalties and shootouts

Post by Faithless »

ageing hammer wrote:Another example of my point in today's match the penalty for France.

mbappe was going away from goal and would never have scored. All the defender had to do was run with him instead of bringing him down.
I was thinking of your post as he did it. What do coaches coach?
Patito

Re: Penalties and shootouts

Post by Patito »

Faithless wrote: I'm the opposite of Patito as I played as defender and you would think they'd know not to commit a foul in that position. It never ceases to amaze me the things professional footballers do. In that clip there is no reason for the keeper to go anywhere other than cover his near post and let the defender close off the options. I'd be livid, livid i tell thee if my keeper did that ;)

I think we are in agreement there Faithless. :thup: Often the keeper or defender just need to force the attacker out wide, it could slow them down, put doubt in their head etc. Obviously it depends on the situation and it's not always that easy but I fully agree with what you said above about the keeper covering the near post etc.