#36 Iran 1-1 Portugal ~ Group B

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Iran v Portugal - Match thread ~ Group B

Post by pharaoh »

Any decision is open to interpretation and most have been right. However some have been terrible, despite being reviewed by 3 extra officials. The Technology is fine...maybe it needs time to bed in.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Once the referee commits to the reviewing I think you’re rarely going to see him stick to his original decision. The players started geeing up the crowd, they’re all over him and the hysteria builds meaning he’s almost forced to give it. Needs strong referees that won’t be intimidated or swayed. I’m all for referees dissing out mass yellow cards for the type of play-acting and hounding of officials we saw today. The best example was the fella who booked a load of Chelsea players in one of our games against them at Upton Park. I think it was the match Mourinho was sent to the stands.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Faithless wrote: The point is that 3 VAR match officials reviewed that handball and then still decided it needed passing on to the Ref on the pitch. The on field ref is then presented with a replay and thinking what have i missed that those 3 have seen? Total incompetence that puts the Ref on the pitch under unnecessary pressure. That's 4 qualified refs that misinterpreted that footage.

It may expose it but does it expose it any more than the normal replays? If FIFA don't take action then it serves no purpose.
Valid points but I think we need to give it a chance. It’s brand new. I think given time we’ll see an overall uplift in both the quality of refereeing and of the decisions made on the field. There have been more good VAR incidents than wronguns and the wronguns have all ultimately still come down to poor interpretation by a crap ref.

I’m probably in the minority but I quite like the drama of it.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Morocco Mole wrote:Valid points but I think we need to give it a chance. It’s brand new. I think given time we’ll see an overall uplift in both the quality of refereeing and of the decisions made on the field. There have been more good VAR incidents than wronguns and the wronguns have all ultimately still come down to poor interpretation by a crap ref.

I’m probably in the minority but I quite like the drama of it.
Don't get me wrong I like the idea of VAR and I know it's brand new to Football but it's years old in sporting terms. Football may be my first love but I watch most other sports and find it truly bizarre that FIFA have decided to ignore all the lessons learned in those sports. (They all went through problems at first)

One of which is the openness and communication of how they come to a decision. Why hide that from the supporters or are Football fans not as bright as Rugby fans or even American Football fans?

Why limit it's scope to 4 areas? Why prevent the on pitch ref from having the right to ask the question have I got that correct on any decision? .......I'll stop now cos I''m getting all ranty again :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The match was entertaining, but to be honest the whole thing was a joke. Non stop diving, play acting, persistent fouling that the ref did little about, and constant interruptions for VAR. The Ronaldo booking was ridiculous, and the Iran penalty was an utter affront to the game of football.

VAR is in danger of ruining this world cup going by this showing.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

WorcesterWHU wrote:The more I see of Carvalho the more it feels like we came close to wasting a ton of money.
I thought this was his best game so far, but not saying much. I can see what he offers, but it's far outweighed for me by his sluggishness, lack of pace, and not taking advantage of his size/weight to impose himself. Really couldn't see him working out for a team like us in the prem.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Lack of pace? Sounds right up our street.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

sendô wrote:Lack of pace? Sounds right up our street.
Imagine Noble and Carvalho as a CM paring. The opposition would have time for a cup of tea during a counter attack.