The hard way or the easy way?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Re: The hard way or the easy way?

Post by Haarlemammer »

Agreed - the Switzerland for Arsenal match up doesn't have the right feel about it - would have been better if Spain had matched Arsenal - both past their glory days and struggling to stay near the top...
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Haarlemammer wrote:I took a slight liberty in that England & Denmark are currently ranked equal 12th, so put England as 13th, which matches England (conveniently) with West Ham.

In our half of the draw, after Coventry’s win against Newcastle (by the way, all the games are being played in Coventry) and West Brom knocking out Bournemouth, they face each other in the 3rd QF.
Tomorrow, Aston Villa face Arsenal and, in the evening, West Ham face Huddersfield, with the winners from each playing each other in the 4th QF.
We did the double against Huddersfield...I hope that bodes well. :o
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Before, during and just after the Belgium game I wasn't too fussed and was firmly in the 'you have to beat anyone and everyone', 'no easy route' camp, but after the resulting games and looking at how favorable (on paper!) our run could be you can't help but think we will not get a better chance than this for decades.

Win tomorrow night and I think we are on for the final.
Haarlemammer

Post by Haarlemammer »

Teams we have avoided
Portugal
Uruguay
France
Argentina
Brazil

Teams we will meet
Colombia
Hotel staff
BA check in crew
Heathrow Customs...
:wink:
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Quality work from Haarlem & Sutts
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:So it is the 'easier' route for us after all...

Can't see Argentina beating France unless they drastically turn their form around.
There are only so many games that Ronaldo can drag Portugal through so I think Uruguay will have too much for them.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see hosts Russia beat one of the poorest looking Spain sides in 20 odd years.
Croatia are looking like a bit of a machine and should ease past Denmark.
Same for Belgium with Japan.
Same for Brazil with Mexico.

Sweden and Switzerland are much of a muchness for me but Sweden did impress against Mexico when it mattered.

I thought Columbia looked very unimpressive yesterday, even more so after Rodriguez went off. They will be terrified of our set pieces and with Trippier back in the side to deliver them, we really do pose a genuine threat to everyone. Add Kane and the likes of Lingard and Stirling who keep defenders on their toes and we really 'should' have enough to get to the Semi Final.

Desperately trying not to get carried away, but we realistically could get through the next two games without really even needing to hit top gear. Better still, we could end up with a one off game against either Croatia or Russia for a place in the Final...!

If results go our way, we won't face anyone ranked higher than Columbia (16) until the final.
Hope you all followed me... didn’t expect Croatia and Belgium to struggle as much as they did but can’t fault the rest of that post can ya??

Brazil France and England Croatia in the semis.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Who else is glad things went the way they did now?
Haarlemammer

Post by Haarlemammer »

I always was and had no issue with our reserves losing to Belgium’s.
Gareth is playing the long game (and I don’t mean hoofing it up to Andy Carroll)