The hard way or the easy way?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

The hard way or the easy way?

Post by DasNutNock »

Win this group and we could very well end up playing The Hun or Brazil in the QFs - come second and it's more likely to be Mexico or the Swiss. Thoughts? Should we be trying to plot the easiest course, or should we back ourselves to beat one of the Big 2?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: The hard way or the easy way?

Post by S-H »

There is never an easy way with England.

Beating Belgium would build the momentum, we should fear no one, aiming to finish second is dangerous and sends out the wrong message.

For me the hard way, although in truth I'd take anyway if it meant we went on to win the thing.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

We shouldn’t deliberately throw the game but a 1-1 draw with a few tactical yellow cards wouldn’t be the worst thing. 8-)
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Think we need to worry about who we get in the next round out of Senegal japan and Columbia,

Getting far to ahead of ourselves worrying about anyone else after that
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

You try to win every match and whatever happens, happens.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sicknote wrote:Think we need to worry about who we get in the next round out of Senegal japan and Columbia,

Of course, but by thursday it'll be more or less clear who we're likely to face in the subsequent rounds.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

Just play the game against Belgium and try to win - if we draw then a few tactical yellows might not hurt.

In truth we should just aim to beat what's in front of us. If we can do Belgium over, then we really shouldn't fear Brazil or Germany, neither of which look as good as their pre-tournament billing.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Belgium will beat us anyway and that will be no bad thing in my eyes. Bring everyone back down to earth and get us into a slightly easier half of the draw.

Columbia or Senegal are much of a muchness for me (we are capable of beating or losing to both), and I'd certainly prefer to be facing Mexico or Switzerland over Brazil or Germany for a place in the semi finals.

Once you hit the semi finals, anything can happen.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sicknote wrote:Think we need to worry about who we get in the next round out of Senegal japan and Columbia,

I think it is OK to look beyond as for me, we are already through and any potential game in the round of 16 against those teams will be as tough as the other. I'd put them all in the same bracket of teams that are dangerous enough to cause us problems.

The big difference would be IF we did get through the round of 16 and could either face Brazil/Germany or Mexico/Switzerland. There is a clear difference in those two sets of possible opponents.
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Belgium have already announced they will be making wholesale changes and, IMHO, we should too. Players could do with rest, plus those on the bench get some more experience and won’t be intimidated by a first appearance in the knockout stages if needed. How dumb would we feel if Kane got injured in a dead rubber?
sendô

Post by sendô »

I wouldn't do wholesale changes. 3 or 4 perhaps, maybe those on yellows. Kane will want to play, he wants the goals. Cahill at the back, maybe Rashford in somewhere, rest Trippier and Young.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Kane will want to play, he wants the goals.
One of the first real tests of Southgate's managerial career here. Rest him for his own protection, and risk upsetting him in his quest for the golden boot, or let him play and risk letting the Belgians crock him?
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Never underestimate the pure snidery of Bobby brown shoes

I reckon Belgium will be remarkably awful against us
S-H

Post by S-H »

We will beat Belgium.

It's all about winning.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I would play Kane against the Belgiums, he is a goalscorer, and we need him to keep scoring and keeping sharp. Would rest Walker & Loftus Cheek as they have yellows. I presume if they pick up another they would miss the last 16 game?

Play to win, keep the momentum going. I don't honestly believe there is an easier route, some of the bigger teams have not turned up properly yet, they may not turn up, they may. One thing for sure, most sides would want to keep away from us presently.

Chances are one of the bigger teams will knock us out due to having more experience, so be it, I am expecting it, but I just hope we go out playing the way we are now, it's refreshing and really enjoyable.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Re the whole idea of there being an "easier route" - I think for us English it's all in our heads, as we've lost to Germany, Argentina and Brazil before. On current form I'd rather any of them over Mexico or Croatia, who of course stopped us qualifying for Euro 2008.
S-H

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote:Re the whole idea of there being an "easier route" - I think for us English it's all in our heads, as we've lost to Germany, Argentina and Brazil before. On current form I'd rather any of them over Mexico or Croatia, who of course stopped us qualifying for Euro 2008.
Absolutely.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

This Belgium game could become quite farcical

Both teams not wanting to win, both teams knowing that a draw will mean that yellow cards total comes into the equation , currently we have 2 they have 3 , if England get a booking , Belgium will try and get on , there will be deliberate hand balls all game, with both teams trying to get all 14 players booked after using subs

What we both need is the Senegal group to go a way in which the winner of our group gets the weaker looking side, although that’s not a given as we found out with Iceland
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

not that i care either way, but in your position i'd want my team to absolutely smash it, regardless of what happens next.

throwing away a game to get an easier opponent (on paper) in the next round is cowardly, screams low self confidence, adds pressure on the players, and could give extra motivation to the other team.

swing your cock and show the world you're the team to beat for f***'s sake!
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

sicknote wrote:This Belgium game could become quite farcical

Both teams not wanting to win, both teams knowing that a draw will mean that yellow cards total comes into the equation , currently we have 2 they have 3 , if England get a booking , Belgium will try and get on , there will be deliberate hand balls all game, with both teams trying to get all 14 players booked after using subs
Seen this before in a tournament I was playing in (not football) many years ago. Both teams knew the winner of the group would play a harder team (the current national champions) in the 1/4 final, queue them teams trying to lose the match by trying to score dodgy own goals, getting players sin binned, time wasting if they were loosing etc. The crowd was giving it to both teams, they got their act together when they were threatened with expulsion from the tournament if they didn't at least look like they were trying.