VAR, For or against

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: VAR, For or against

Post by Whitters »

Interesting couple of VAR incidents in the Swiss match last night

A penalty for Costa Rica was overturned as the attacker was a mile offside (what was the Lino looking at?). Before the VAR decision a Swiss defender was yellow carded for protesting the decison, maybe a bit too vigorously, but he was right. Shouldn't his yellow card be overturned too?

The second penalty, about a minute after the first, probably was a foul, but only because the attacker deliberately stuck his leg between the Swiss defender's legs so a collision was unavoidable. I can't remember if it was referred to the VAR or not, but if it had it wasn't a dive as there was a collision, albeit one looked for by the attacker. Should it be overturned or not......?
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Six games in to the round of sixteen and there's barely been a VAR incident - at least none that I can remember.
What's that down to then? Are the players learning to deal with it better and cheating less, or is it just a higher standard of refereeing at this stage of the tournament?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Yes.

It will improve over time as it gets fine-tuned.

Remember Bournemouth away last season. No more absolute travesties like that,
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

It's all gone very quiet on the VAR front, which is a good thing, anyone think FIFA told refs to tone it down a bit.
Hammer in Split

Post by Hammer in Split »

An awful lot of decisions are still subjective.
My question to people in conversation about it is -‘next season in the premiership which club do you think will benefit from most decisions?’
So far I have only had one answer - clue, to confirm your guess, is - richest club in the world with the most cynical manager.............
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm still very much for it, yes it needs more work, but I think if they iron out a few of the issues it will be superb and add to the game.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

wolf359 wrote:It's all gone very quiet on the VAR front, which is a good thing, anyone think FIFA told refs to tone it down a bit.
Yep
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

wolf359 wrote:It's all gone very quiet on the VAR front, which is a good thing, anyone think FIFA told refs to tone it down a bit.
100%

Madness that they used a World Cup to trial this, glad that it's faded into the background now though.

Still waiting for VAR to screw us over though, it just has to happen, doesn't it?
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

I think it's been a success, it won't always be perfect but the correct decision is arrived at more often than without it.

It hasn't been used so much in the latter games and I think that's showing that it's working, players are not committing the relevant fouls or diving so much because the VAR is likely to pick it up so less work for the VAR.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

bobcar wrote:I think it's been a success, it won't always be perfect but the correct decision is arrived at more often than without it.

It hasn't been used so much in the latter games and I think that's showing that it's working, players are not committing the relevant fouls or diving so much because the VAR is likely to pick it up so less work for the VAR.
Probably wouldn’t agree if I was a Croatian this evening
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

My final opinion is bin it. It didn't remove subjectivity in the slightest.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Any idea how long it took to get the whole thing resolved ? Seemed like a good 5 minutes from the appeal, to the video, to him going to take a look, to awarding the p.k., to settling the protests, to Griezmann taking the kick. They added +3 minutes.

Similar to England's game with Panama.......

Takes for ****ing ever.........at least in the NFL they give the decision right away, show the ref with the Macbook and announcing the call. Takes way too long..How Griezmann held his nerve that long I don't know..

Gotta be better.....rightly or wrongly
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'd like to see a system where a representative from each team/club is watching the game on a monitor and when necessary they can challenge a decision made by the ref. They get 3 challenges per game. Like cricket. You keep your "challenge" if it turns out to be correct and obviously you lose it if its not.

Not a load of divs in a van parked somewhere picking and choosing what should be challenged.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Any idea how long it took to get the whole thing resolved ? Seemed like a good 5 minutes from the appeal, to the video, to him going to take a look, to awarding the p.k., to settling the protests, to Griezmann taking the kick. They added +3 minutes
Similar to England's game with Panama.......

Takes for ****ing ever.........at least in the NFL they give the decision right away, show the ref with the Macbook and announcing the call. Takes way too long..How Griezmann held his nerve that long I don't know..

Gotta be better.....rightly or wrongly
Tbf in NFL it takes ages. It just doesn't seem like it does because the game is stop start anyway
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

e17 wrote:"bobcar" I think it's been a success, it won't always be perfect but the correct decision is arrived at more often than without it.

Probably wouldn’t agree if I was a Croatian this evening
I saw something in the paper yesterday where the Croatian manager said the penalty decision was wrong and should not have been given but was still pro-VAR as generally, it makes decisions fairer.