#47 England 0-1 Belgium ~ Group G

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: #47 England 0-1 Belgium ~ Group G

Post by Samba »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: One thing that people are not realising also, is that it is folly to judge a second string set of players when they are all playing at the same time.
Each one of those players who played last night would look miles apart if and when played alongside 10 first team players, so to suggest our backup is not good enough is rather not seeing the bigger picture.
There is some sense in that, rars.
I am very happy with how things are atm. Southgate has so far, aquitted himself very well.
A stupider manager might well have thought, 'Ooh, Belgium are not arsed about winning the game, we're already through, so I'll play Kane so he can get more goals for his golden boot'.
Putting stupid sentiment ahead of what's best for the team & the country.
Whether by accident or design, we have ended up in the so-called, easier side of the tournament & I am pleased with that & if we go on to lose to Columbia, or Sweden, or Switzerland, or whoever, I will not be bellyaching. We could have just as easily lost to Japan.
It's a proper cup competition now & anyone can beat anyone.
:scarfer:
And, oh yes, we're definitely not going to lose a game v Germany on penalties, for a change.
bobcar

Re: #47 England 0-1 Belgium ~ Group G

Post by bobcar »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: It's also very, very tiring seeing the same poster(s) repeat the same b*llocks and immediately jump on any opportunity to lament their tired point.
The problem is, unless we win the World Cup - which is a monumental ask - they will always have that opportunity to sickeningly say 'I told you so'. Even if we lose well in the final, you can count on it.
Yes, the simple fact is that there are teams like Belgium and France who have better players than us, that doesn't make our players crap just not as good as the best. It's not impossible that we beat those teams but we have to play above ourselves or maybe have a bit of luck.

The next match against Columbia is tough (MUCH harder than Japan), they are a decent side and the result could go either way. All we can ask is that the team genuinely do their best.