#51 Spain 1-1 Russia (Rus win 4-3 pens) - Round of 16

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: Spain v Russia - Match thread~ Round of 16

Post by lib2007 »

I’ve no idea how anybody can say Spain deserved anything in this game. What did they show? f*** all. Russia is ****, but it didn’t seem like they needed to park the bus. Spain played sideways and got nowhere. The entertainment is in the underdog beating the ****ing entitled team that expects their opponent to bend over for them. Bye Span, it was nice to see you cry. Russia won’t be winning anything here, but that’s never been the point. Well done.

And for anybody, if England gets to play Brazil and does what Russia did, would you REALLY be upset? I don’t believe this for a second. It’s a World Cup, let’s get real.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

It’s not a World Cup, it’s football. I’d take 4 boring 0-0’s and 4 penalty shout wins right here, right now.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by lib2007 »

Exactly. I just meant to say that World Cup is still meaningful and can’t be bought (to a degree, but still). Let’s allow **** sides play to their strengths. Which still didn’t help Spain this afternoon.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Fair play to Akinfeev for his post match interview when he said that there was no point in lying, they were playing for penalties. Their strategy worked.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 787 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:nah you did..I know what you mean....but if I don't have a dog in the fight, I want to be entertained..
I was extremely entertained by watching Spain go out. I find their style of football to be as hideous to watch as Fat Sam's, particularly today.

I watched from the second half onward, and for all their possession and passing, they created absolutely f*** all. I remember when they won in 2010, and it was the same then. Death by 1000 passes, 1-0 wins. Good riddance, much rather watch Russia.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Agree with comments about Spain doing shag all with 70-odd% possession, but I still think they were robbed by that Ramos 'no penalty' decision. He was held down and that was surely going in if he'd got the header he was perfectly placed for. Think it was WC Pete who said Putin's just looked in the VAR studio and said 'hi' :lol:
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

It kind of made sense back in 2010, when the team was filled with Barcelona players in their prime. Even then, they weren't Barcelona so they couldn't quite replicate that style. I thought Barca in their pomp were brilliant to watch then. But now, does it really make sense to play that way anymore?There are some Barca players left in the side and for the most part they're old. They've got Costa as the main striker and he absolutely does not fit that system. They should have moved on from this tiki taka style by now. Apparently they broke a world record for number of completed passes today, but they never actually moved the ball forward. This Cup has proven the end of the road for a lot of great programs. Long may they rest in peace.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Thing is now loads of people say "great game he put in a good shift.."

WTF is he getting paid for....does anyone give you a round of applause if you do a good days work ???

Shut up shop deny space play like you want not to lose..

Anyone remember slaughtering Moyes for no shots on goal against Shrewsbury, piss poor attacking intent again Arsenal.....Wigan ?

but lauding Russia ?

not saying Spain did anything to open up Russia......but home country...no intent....

yeah we would be over the moon if we won the WC with our next what, 16, 8, 4 and then 2 with okaying only for a draw and hoping we win on p.k.'s ??

I wouldn't .....sorry, I know that I am in the minority but I would be sorely disappointed if we did that...

rant over.....

at least for now...

:lol:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

vietnammer wrote:Agree with comments about Spain doing shag all with 70-odd% possession, but I still think they were robbed by that Ramos 'no penalty' decision. He was held down and that was surely going in if he'd got the header he was perfectly placed for. Think it was WC Pete who said Putin's just looked in the VAR studio and said 'hi' :lol:

But Ramos initiated the contact grabbing the defender , what subsequently happens becomes 50/50

Whereas the English lads have clearly been told at an attacking free kick keep your hands up and visible and don’t touch anyone when you then get pulled down it’s a pen by VAR

Ramos guilty of being a devious cheating **** and got his comeuppance

Never mind eh !!!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

That Ramos incident would have been a soft penalty, if given.

It wasn't.

Ha Ha Ha
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Russia came into this tournament thinking they were more like Rochdale than West Ham, that's how much of a minnow side they thought they were. If Rochdale knocked Man Utd out of the cup then the fans would be going crazy. I don't blame Russia for playing tactically rather than losing 3-0 to a drab Spain side.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

https://twitter.com/ItsBravin/status/10 ... 9004890112

Talk about jumping to conclusions..
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

somerset-hammer wrote:https://twitter.com/ItsBravin/status/10 ... 9004890112

Talk about jumping to conclusions..
I concluded that Russia (and Spain) have been on the gear for decades.
S-H

Post by S-H »

:thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Chicken, protein shakes & weights.
S-H

Post by S-H »

:shock:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

DasNutNock wrote:Image

Chicken, protein shakes & weights.
why would they juice up chimps?!?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:Spain have not impressed me at all so I will be having a cheeky flutter on the hosts to cause an upset here.

A 1-0 win over Iran (thanks to the ball being kicked at Costa and flying in) mixed with conceding three to Portugal and two to Morocco.

Admittedly they have also scored 3 and 2 respectively in those games, but this just isn't the world beating 'tiki taki' Spain team we all know and love to watch.
Stick with me kids... you'll be millionaires!
Patito

Post by Patito »

You can easily put that much muscle on in a matter of months from eating & lifting properly ^^
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Patito wrote:You can easily put that much muscle on in a matter of months from eating & lifting properly ^^
Far easier to get one of your club's doping managers to arrange to have a cocktail of PEDs injected into you, safe in the knowledge that drugs tests can either be dodged, ****ed or bribed.