#49 Argentina 3-4 France - Round of 16

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Argentina v France - Round of 16- match thread

Post by smuts »

That Pavon goal :shock:

Fantastic game....there were 2 Argies waiting to head that last second cross which would have made it sensational.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

AnthraxDave wrote:Not a nation I love to see fail more than the Argentine scum.
I love the French, the Germans, etc. But all of the 5 Argentinians I have met in my life have been insufferable cockwombles.
c**** and cockwombles have no nation, they're everywhere.
plenty of decent argies.

and by plenty i mean two or three.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

warp wrote:cockwombles have no nation, they're everywhere.
plenty of decent argies.
and by plenty i mean two or three.
Our Manny being one of them!
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Don't wanna be that guy but.......twas Pavard that did the old kick it in the net nicely from distance so it were
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

Absolute ripsnorter of a game, quality goals, a striker ripping a defence to bits with his pace, tasty challenges, pure drama until the end.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Just watched this on catch up. What a game. Argies got what they deserved. That Mbappe looks alright...

Don't get the Messi love in at all. A great player undoubtedly, but he just looks constantly pissed off with his teammates. As if he can only be arsed to play if he's got Iniesta, Suarez et al around him. f*** off mate, Argies attacking players are some of the best. Just looked like a sulky kid.

Contrast that with Ronaldo (haven't watched the Portugal v Uruguay game yet, and don't know the result), who gives everything for his teammates, even though some of them are below par. I'm not trying to compare the two in terms of ability, more that from what the pundits would have us believe, Argentina are as much a one man team as Portugal are.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

AnthraxDave wrote:Not a nation I love to see fail more than the Argentine scum.
I love the French, the Germans, etc. But all of the 5 Argentinians I have met in my life have been insufferable cockwombles.
I honestly don't think I have ever met one, apart from a lady tango teacher, she was alright. :wink:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Without knowing the ins and outs of the psychological make-up of the Argentine Squad I wonder if Lionel Messi was the root of the problem - they didn't look as a team early on in the competition - they looked ok yesterday but you can't have your Captain looking moody with his head down every time the opposition score , a good Captain galvanises the team , he shouts encouragement and leads by example , Messi did none of that . I think they'll be better off without him .

p.s. I've only met two Argentinians and they were both great blokes .
Patito

Post by Patito »

Tomos I certainly think there's something to that. Sweden are coping alright now that Ibrahimovic has gone.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

If you don’t speak French then This video may be a bit tricky , however it’s a French comedienne singing a song for Argentina, and if you really don’t want to watch it just fast forward to 6.20 ish and you’ll get the gist of the song ;)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

We were in France for the 98 Cup. Saw the Argentina-Holland QF in Marseilles and took the train back to Nice. We got back around 2am and ran into some Argies at the promenade. They had rented a van and went all around France during the World Cup. They took there loss well and shared some wine with us. We were playing football at 3am. Decent lads they were.