#56 England 1-1 Colombia (Eng win 4-3 pens) - Round of 16

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: England v Colombia -Match thread ~ Round of 16

Post by The Gibbins »

Trippiers penalty was just beautiful.

Even taking away the pressure of the situation, it was just perfect placement, power and technique
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

The Gibbins wrote:Trippiers penalty was just beautiful.

Even taking away the pressure of the situation, it was just perfect placement, power and technique

Agreed, It was almost perfect.
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

YorksHammer wrote:I actually thought we were a bit lucky - without the penalty we would have created next to no scoring opportunities at all, aside from Rose's shot across the front of goal during extra time.
uh? Dier's free header for one.... :eh:
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

YorksHammer wrote:I actually thought we were a bit lucky - without the penalty we would have created next to no scoring opportunities at all, aside from Rose's shot across the front of goal during extra time.

We're not very creative, at least in this formation, and the six past Panama might have masked that. We'll need to be much better to get past Sweden, with three clean sheets in four, especially as we're good for a goal a game in this tournament at the back.

Sorry to doom and gloom, I just didn't think we looked like scoring before the penalty, and didn't really look like adding a second after it.
I think we have been creative in this formation in the past, we were against Tunisia in the first half but just missed easy chances. We are lacking a Gazza type but we have to play with what we have and how effective we are depends how teams play against us - in the friendlies Nigeria turned the game by changing their tactics against us.

I think we have to give credit to Columbia who defended very well especially in the air, I wasn't expecting an easy game so wasn't surprised. We are not the best team in the world so can only do our best and we certainly seem to be trying. It's worth pointing out that better teams than us have also had trouble breaking teams down.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

If there's one thing that England has it's team spirit. This gets stronger the longer you survive in these tournaments.

Having said that, the extra time took a lot out of the preferred eleven and some fresh legs will need to come in. I think Sterling, Young and Dele Alli all under performed and haven't done enough to justify a place so far.

Our midfield was pretty static and uncreative - and definitely needs an injection of pace. Dier for Alli is definitely NOT the answer. Can either of them actually sprint?

I'd bring in Rashford, Loftus-Cheek and possibly Rose for the next game.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

This England side is full of deficiencies and we could pull most of it apart with ease. Lingarrd, Sterling, Ali all appear to simply be offering "space" for Kane but nobody is supplying him with actual service. The fact that Henderson is not only our holding midfielder but also our best chance of creating something (aside from Trippier) is worrying.

That said I've seen much better England squads play worse, get their self sent off (They tried with Kane yesterday but fortunately he's not Rooney or Beckham) or panic in a penalty shoot out. I've read much (not really on here) about how England haven't played well etc Most winners don't play well, they win. Countless times I've seen sides at WC's look brilliant in the groups or 2nd round and then disappear without a trace in the later stages.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We're not very creative, at least in this formation, and the six past Panama might have masked that.

Sorry to doom and gloom, I just didn't think we looked like scoring before the penalty, and didn't really look like adding a second after it.
I sort of get where you're coming from , it was all very slow from the back stuff for most of the match but to give the Colombians their due , when they weren't being totally cynical and play acting they could play some good football and their defence especially Davinson Sanchez was outstanding - I only saw the game from 41 mins onwards and even then only started watching it at 9pm as I had to watch an episode of ' Occupied first :) [ I'm not English ] .
England came close from open play at least 3 times but Kane alone must have drawn half a dozen free kicks in dangerous areas and while Ashley Young's crossing was excellent the headers never found the target , the best chance falling to Alli but he was muscled out of getting a header on goal .

The stand-out England players for me were Maguire , Stones , Henderson , Kane for keeping ice-cool while the Colombians spent 3 minutes trying to put him off the penalty kick and Pickford for two outstanding saves [ one the penalty ] - Lingard was his lively self and on another day may have got another penalty but on the whole he was kept quiet by the Colombian defence , thought Alli did well to keep his cool under provocation , Walker needs to concentrate for 90 minutes , he nearly let in Colombia for a goal but Cuadrado blazed wide - I think Maguire should be given the Captaincy , he's a natural leader - Personally I'd like to see Southgate play 2 up front , Kane and Vardy but it's not going to happen .

A tidy performance from England under severe provocation , they did extremely well after conceding that late equalizer , extremely well - Congratulations , English Kumbers . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Faithless wrote:This England side is full of deficiencies and we could pull most of it apart with ease. Lingarrd, Sterling, Ali all appear to simply be offering "space" for Kane but nobody is supplying him with actual service. The fact that Henderson is not only our holding midfielder but also our best chance of creating something (aside from Trippier) is worrying.

Spot on - your best playmaker is Alli , himself and Kane should be replicating their Tottenham roles .
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Message from Jordan Pickford to Colombia

http://www.notcoming.com/reviews/thisisengland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Spot on - your best playmaker is Alli , himself and Kane should be replicating their Tottenham roles .
100% the only issue seems to be Alli isn't fit or on form, both he and Sterling need something to go for them in an England shirt. Sooner the better really.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Samba wrote:Not just saying it, I swear I knew Pickford should have just stayed standing in the middle for their first pen.
And just how close was their keeper to saving Dier's?
All about the hands - Ospina's buckled. Basic GK error.
Patito

Post by Patito »

rusty Iron wrote: uh? Dier's free header for one.... :eh:
Alli had a free header that he missed as well
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rusty Iron wrote:uh? Dier's free header for one.... :eh:
Perhaps it would've been prudent to read the post properly before replying.

"Next to no scoring opportunities" does not equate to "no scoring opportunities".
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: #56 England 1-1 Colombia (Eng win 4-3 pens) - Round of 16

Post by Hammer1972 »

See Maradona is chipping in with his views now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... i-12851672

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

Up the Junction wrote: Perhaps it would've been prudent to read the post properly before replying.

"Next to no scoring opportunities" does not equate to "no scoring opportunities".
Perhaps it would be prudent for you to consider what "Next to no" actually means.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hammer1972 wrote:See Maradona is chipping in with his views now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... i-12851672

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...
Not to worry, he'll be dead soon.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

“I repeat, why didn't the referee ask for the VAR? Colombia died standing. That's why I applaud them.”
Because Diego you filthy cheating piece of **** the referee can't you ****ing melt
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

rusty Iron wrote:Perhaps it would be prudent for you to consider what "Next to no" actually means.
Okay. Take your attitude somewhere else, it's not welcome here.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Got to keep his supply line sweet hasn't he... :arry:
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Slacking student wrote:Stones giving it to the cheating bastards on the final spot kick....great stuff

They're just returning the favor. I saw a photo today where Barrios was standing over Henderson smiling at him after he missed his penalty. Barrios was the headbutter, I believe.