#59 Sweden 0-2 England - Quarter Finals

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Quarter Finals - Sweden v England~ Match thread

Post by Harry Hound »

James P wrote:
Funnily enough he actually reminds me of Gazza in 1990. He gets the ball and his first thought is to beat a man and get into a position to really hurt opponents. Just unlike Gazza where everything went right, everything's going wrong.

He could be the man we need to provide one big moment in upcoming fixtures.
IMHO we need to put him on the bench and go with a less skillful player with more drive, sense, and pragmatism. Personally, I'd go for Loftus-Cheek but Welbeck is also a decent alternative. Sterling has had more than enough time and we shouldn't carry him any longer.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

nickkarkie wrote:Sterling's technique is shocking, it just negates all the pace he has and good runs he makes, surely he works on kicking the ball with his left foot and his touch. Alli just doesn't perform for England no matter where he has been played, even behind Kane, hard to figure out why, yesterday as FM says he was more inside left but still he is not getting involved enough.
He never seems to have the ball under control. I'd drop him for most other options and have him on the bench if we need him.
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

I hope we absolutely demolish you and then our players bathe in the tears of Swedish children's broken hearts after the game.
Wow thats an image.
Mean Ashton

Re: #59 Sweden v England - Quarter Finals ~ Match thread

Post by Mean Ashton »

just a word of caution........... Sweden qualified from a much tougher group than us. They beat Italy in the play-off. At the world cup they beat Mexico & Korea while being very unlucky v Germany and then beating Switzerland.

So far England have beaten two very poor teams and won a penalty shoot out. They've also managed about 1 goal from open play.

however #itscominghome #spirit66 etc etc
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's actually two, one from Jessie Lingard which he will never, ever repeat throughout the rest of his career as a professional footballer, the other, off Harry Kane's heel, which he knew absolutely nothing about, but then he does have previous for claiming a goal which was not really his
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

I notice that Sweden are below Tunisia in the FIFA rankings, should be a doddle then.

Just showing some typical English arrogance to keep Voronin happy :D
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

Whatever happens, I'm going to echo the thoughts of a previous poster on here about feeling reconnected with the England team. During the Hodgson years, I hated how we played and everything seemed so forlorn. Now there is a real sense of possibility and am loving the way Southgate is handling his interviews and how they have gotten the media involved in a positive way. Long may it continue.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

Still gutted there's no AC nor Wilshere.

We have no plan B nor C.

With ET very likely once you get to the knockout, that's FOUR subs. Andy is a 20 minute impact player. He makes things happen and feeds off desperate crosses that all teams put in when a goal is required to avoid the plane home. Can score with either foot and head.

We saw Fellaini change the game against the excellent Japanese. A simple header to make it 2-2. We have no strikers/midfielders who can do anything different than the 1st eleven. Wellbeck only plays if there are at least 2 injured strikers. As a sub what different skill does he bring?

Wilshere 30-40 yards out offers something totally different in a tight spot. A tricky player that the squad lacks.

So frustrating and would love to be wrong...
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Jon wrote:Still gutted there's no AC nor Wilshere.

We have no plan B nor C.

With ET very likely once you get to the knockout, that's FOUR subs. Andy is a 20 minute impact player. He makes things happen and feeds off desperate crosses that all teams put in when a goal is required to avoid the plane home. Can score with either foot and head.

We saw Fellaini change the game against the excellent Japanese. A simple header to make it 2-2. We have no strikers/midfielders who can do anything different than the 1st eleven. Wellbeck only plays if there are at least 2 injured strikers. As a sub what different skill does he bring?

Wilshere 30-40 yards out offers something totally different in a tight spot. A tricky player that the squad lacks.

So frustrating and would love to be wrong...
I agree with that, I'd never start AC but he can make a big impact as a sub especially when desperately trying for an equaliser.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

trouble is that we don't have anyone who seems to be able to cross the ball with any consistency..except maybe for set pieces.......and even then.....................................
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Jon wrote:Still gutted there's no AC nor Wilshere.
The problem in taking AC is similar to the Vardy issue in that they're are both fairly one dimensional. AC is better in the air than Kane and Vardy is quicker. However they both are best served by classical wingers e.g. Mahrez and Albrighton and that just isn't part of the England 'system' that relies on wing-backs.

Kane's strengths are his attitude (I'd imagine that he's very low maintenance) and his versatility: he scores from all distances, with his head and both feet and he's happy to drop deeper to play someone else in. This means that, unlike most others, he doesn't need to have the whole team set up in such a way to maximize his effectiveness.

I think the problem with Wilshere isn't so much ability as reliability. Southgate, quite rightly, would rather have a player whose a consistent 6 or 7 out of ten than someone who might be an 8, or might be a 3, or might be on the treatment table.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

Puff Daddy wrote:It's actually two, one from Jessie Lingard which he will never, ever repeat throughout the rest of his career as a professional footballer
Lingard has a history of scoring worldies in the big games.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

stu1 wrote:
Not digging you out Stu but he has only scored 13 goals for Manure and 2 for England,
how many big games has he played in. :eh:
'stone hammer
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 535 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Honestly, I don't think we'll win unless our attacking players actually turn up (barring Kane as he has turned up).
I think Sweden are very underestimated because they don't have any star players. They beat Mexico comfortably when Mexico still had it all to play for

I'm hoping for a Loftus-Cheek start ahead of Alli.

I'm also hoping I'm completely wrong and we win comfortably with Alli scoring a hat trick.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

ageing hammer wrote: Not digging you out Stu but he has only scored 13 goals for Manure and 2 for England,
His winner for the 2016 FA cup final wasn't exactly bad.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Scored another worldie in the charity shield, ok not the most important trophy but still.

He also scored another tidy goal in the EFL 2017 cup final.

Then as mentioned he's scored a worldie at this World Cup.

So in 15 career goals he's scored a worldie in FA cup final, another one at the WC and in the charity shield, as well as a tidy finish in the EFL cup final.

So I stand by my original point that Lingard scoring another a worldie in an big game or competition isn't unrealistic based on his career so far and as you mentioned he's scored these goals despite often not playing in the big games.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

This is going to be some battle. I don't underestimate Sweden for one second & I'm sure our players won't either.
Whoever gets through will have definitely earnt it. All I ask for is a fair (& the right), result.
And England to win, of course!
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

ageing hammer wrote:"stu1"

Not digging you out Stu but he has only scored 13 goals for Manure and 2 for England,
He scored a great goal in the FA cup final
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Harry Hound wrote:
He scored a great goal in the FA cup final
That's not that big a game mate. Sure it is to us, but not to Man Utd, or any other of the top clubs. If you are fortunate enough with the draw, anybody can get to an FA Cup final, even Wigan won it FFS. Returning to his goal against a pub team, yes it was a good strike, but hardly a worldy, he had acres of time and space, but did strike it sweatly. One of those where he might have said, I knew it was in as soon as it left my boot. But worldy, no, not sure it would even get 'Goal of the month' on MOTD
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

Sweden vs Spurs eh. Come on Sweden.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »