#59 Sweden 0-2 England - Quarter Finals

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Re: #59 Sweden v England - Quarter Finals ~ Match thread

Post by Porkeyes »

Couple of tweaks needed:

Sterling out, headless chicken, you can't get by in international football when all you can do is run fast. the modern Tony Daley for me. no more chances. Rashford in.

Ali out. Hasn't looked fit at all. we can't carry players in this one it's going to be ****ing hard. Loftus Cheek in.

Keep the rest the same but treat putting Dier on with caution. I know he scored the pen but I think this level is too much for him. Not clever enough for that role from what I've seen so far.

Prediction 1-0 to England scored early on by the only World class player on the pitch Kane
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Unless the fitness of Alli has somehow dramatically improved, Loftus-Cheek has to come in for him.
He was an absolute passenger and didn't give Colombia anything to think about at any point.

Sweden play two solid banks of four so the roles that the likes of Alli, Stirling and Lingard all play in behind Kane are going to be absolutely key to the whole game.

We need someone fully fit, positive and able to drive in behind the Sweden banks of four. Other than that, I'd stick with the same side, formation and tactics.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Porkeyes wrote:Couple of tweaks needed:

Sterling out, headless chicken, you can't get by in international football when all you can do is run fast. the modern Tony Daley for me. no more chances. Rashford in.

Ali out. Hasn't looked fit at all. we can't carry players in this one it's going to be ****ing hard. Loftus Cheek in.

Keep the rest the same but treat putting Dier on with caution. I know he scored the pen but I think this level is too much for him. Not clever enough for that role from what I've seen so far.

Prediction 1-0 to England scored early on by the only World class player on the pitch Kane

That is exactly the team I would play as well, there won't be too many chances to score but if Kane is played further up than the last game and he gets on the end of one of them he will stick it away.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I think he may leave Alli in because he looks off the pace/not match fit as opposed to carrying an injury. This is the last game in the comp where carrying a player is really an option. English arrogance creeping in ;)
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Porkeyes wrote: the modern Tony Daley for me.
I read that as Tom Daley first time :D
Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 131 likes

Post by Douthy »

Benching Sterling would be a mistake. His movement ties in players, yes his end product is wanting but he puts fear into them and offers more all round than Rashford.

Ali for Loftus Cheek makes more sense.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I've had the radio on for most of the day (talk sport). But very few callers or pundits have focussed on just how poor Alli was both before his injury against Tunisia and on Tuesday night against Colombia.
Maybe he isn't fully fit, but it looks more like he is in a sulk or unmotivated by it all. Yes Sterling wasn't effective but at least he attempted to put a shift in whereas Alli had absolutely no influence upon the game whatsoever.
Rose in for Young Ashley
Loftus Cheek in for Alli (Sweden have a big defence so we need a bit of his muscle)
Rashford to be brought on at the 1st sign that Stirling is fluffing his lines again.

Having said all that, this will be a really tough test for England who didn't create that many clear cut chances v Colombia, so will find it even harder against a properly drilled back 4.
Could go either way, a good bet for extra time and Penalties.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Sweden are not going to fall for our one trick line of hoisting free kicks to the far post for a knock back across goal for somebody else to hopefully get their nut on it for Harry Kane to get a tap in. They may not be very good, but they are a bit more savvy and wiser than that, as Italy and then Germany found to their cost and you can be sure their manager will have them sufficiently drilled to be ready for that
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Getting nervous already...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Samba wrote:Getting nervous already...
They don't pose much of a goals threat mate, Marcus Berg and Ola Toivenen being about their most dangerous threat. But, they are extremely well drilled across midfield and defence with two banks of four and England have not come across this formation in the tournament as yet. The best way to counteract that would be for Southgate to drop one defender out and go two at the back, but doubt for one minute that he will So, what will happen is , England are likely to get a bit bogged down in midfield, possibly with a bit of lost possession in a game of few scoring chances . This going to be a low scoring game
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

I wouldn’t change anything from the game against Colombia

Sterling is the most likely player to disrupt Sweden’s very very rigid 4-4-2 enough for Kane and Lingard to find room.

Ali would be my one question mark, but again. Sweden are not the team for Loftus Cheek or Rashford to start against. Better as impact subs when and if needed against their disciplined resolve.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote:I wouldn’t change anything from the game against Colombia

Sterling is the most likely player to disrupt Sweden’s very very rigid 4-4-2 enough for Kane and Lingard to find room.

Ali would be my one question mark, but again. Sweden are not the team for Loftus Cheek or Rashford to start against. Better as impact subs when and if needed against their disciplined resolve.
Can't disagree with any of that, e17.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

Puff Daddy wrote:That's not that big a game mate. Sure it is to us, but not to Man Utd, or any other of the top clubs. If you are fortunate enough with the draw, anybody can get to an FA Cup final, even Wigan won it FFS. Returning to his goal against a pub team, yes it was a good strike, but hardly a worldy
You do come out with some absolute drivel sometimes.

Scoring a winner in the FA Cup isn’t an important goal, what a ridiculous thing to say :lol:
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Sweden are not going to fall for our one trick line of hoisting free kicks to the far post for a knock back across goal for somebody else to hopefully get their nut on it for Harry Kane to get a tap in. They may not be very good, but they are a bit more savvy and wiser than that, as Italy and then Germany found to their cost and you can be sure their manager will have them sufficiently drilled to be ready for that
Germany beat them.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:Getting nervous already...
Puff Daddy wrote:They don't pose much of a goals threat mate, Marcus Berg and Ola Toivenen being about their most dangerous threat.
I hope you're right, Puff.
They look like they've got some right tall b*stards, especially in a strong defence.
And I don't want to see West Ham's nemesis, Seb bleedin Larsson, having a good game.
They're one of the oldest squads & we're one of the youngest, fwiw.

First off, I don't want us making any stupid mistakes as far as gk & defence are concerned.
Bear in mind also that the Swedish defence soaked up a lot of German pressure & then hit them on the counter-attack. Although they then fell for a very smart, free kick.
We should maybe expect high balls a bit more than perhaps, play on the deck. Probably, vice versa for them.
Their manager is also no fool, tactically.
Luckily, Southgate seems pretty good at that, as well.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

e17 wrote:I wouldn’t change anything from the game against Colombia

Spot on .... Kane plays better with Dele in the side .... if Young is not 100% then Rose is an option, but otherwise no changes ...

Rashford, Loftus-Cheek, even Wellbeck more effective off the bench if needed ,,,,
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2608 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Late night committee meeting at work done and dusted, I can now concentrate on daydreaming about us winning this!!!
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

If anyone is going to Silverstone for F1 qualifying

World Cup Football – we will be screening the England vs Sweden World Cup Quarter Final match and build up from 2pm. Screen locations include: Entertainment Zone, Sports Zone, Luffield food mall, Copse food mall and Club Silverstone. Check back to this page for updates or follow our Twitter and Facebook channels.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/201 ... rand-prix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

And the weather for Saturday in the Uk looks good

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

stu1 wrote:
You do come out with some absolute drivel sometimes.

Scoring a winner in the FA Cup isn’t an important goal, what a ridiculous thing to say :lol:
The FA Cup final is a big match to us and hundreds of other unambitious clubs like us, but it is secondary to the serial Premier League champions and other big four clubs. To them the FA cup is not upper most in their aims. That was what I said, not your own interpretation