Gareth Southgate

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Gareth Southgate

Post by e17 »

Most likeable England manager since Bobby Robson?
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate

Post by sicknote »

Looking back on where we first met

I can not escape and I can not forget

Southgate you’re the one

You still turn me on

You can bring it home again

2 3 4 repeat
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Feeling that way, for sure. Clearly a decent man, and the first England manager to properly consider pen shootout training and analysis after decades of crass dismissal as “something you can’t train for” and “a waste of time”.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Possibly, he is definitely a breath of fresh air though.

Deserves huge credit for the way he has gone about his work, with class and dignity.

He's laying the foundations for the future.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

He's cutting his cloth accordingly and looking at the long term. Deserves a huge amount of credit - irrespective of how it was achieved, he's managed to get us into a quarter final and after the Iceland debacle I didn't think that was possible.

Does make you wonder what would be happening right now if Allardyce was still at the helm :P
e17

Post by e17 »

Reckon he’s doing wonders for waistcoat sales
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

No, still Big Sam for me, the fat, cold sore infested ear cupping dinosaur.
e17

Post by e17 »

swash wrote:No, still Big Sam for me, the fat, cold sore infested ear cupping dinosaur.
You are Mark Curtis and I claim my brown envelope
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

e17, I said the same last night, I respect & admire him like I did the great Sir Bobby.

The way Southgate has covered all bases, the way he has conducted himself, I have nothing but admiration for him. A true thinker, and clever with it.

Let's not kid ourselves, we have no stars, excluding maybe Harry Kane. Southgate & the backroom staff have built a "team" and given those players every resource, particularly mentally to go out and perform.

For planning every aspect/situation, Southgate is head & shoulders above everyone that I have seen manage an England side. Venables was probably the cleverest with tactics I have seen, Southgate supported by Holland can get there though.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

He is slowly turning into Chuck Norris, though.
S-H

Post by S-H »

SoulCircus wrote:He is slowly turning into Chuck Norris, though.
Can he slam a revolving door?
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

sicknote wrote:Looking back on where we first met

I can not escape and I can not forget

Southgate you’re the one

You still turn me on

You can bring it home again

2 3 4 repeat
Heard this for the first time in the pub last night although the end was footballs coming home again in that version! Quality either way
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

He’s brought the pride back and he’s brought the love back into supporting England. That’s no mean feat after the last 20 years. I think what he’s done is actually incredible at turning such average players into a team to be proud of.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

He's got a bit of Alf Ramsey about him ;)
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Originally thought he was a bit of a ‘meh’ appointment, but really impressed by the way he goes about things.
He has the advantage that expectations were low initially, but has been very savvy with the media, getting them on his side and seems to have chosen his players well to fit his system, leaving out some of the ‘names’ that previous managers may have chosen. I suspect he has very good team around him too.
Hopefully his intelligence and professional manner will delay/limit the inevitable media witch-hunts/dirt digging when things are not going so well.
Just for his approach so far and the fact that he looks like he’s building something in the way Loew did, I hope he gets a minimum of another 4 years in the job. To me, he’s everything that BFS is not and therefore gets my vote.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I take my hat off to Southgate for not only carrying himself with real dignity, but shaping this team into a no nonsense, no big time charlie bunch of players who have a proper mentality about them.
It is very refreshing and is working. Best days since Robson.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

He's absolutely perfect for the job, great thing is in the next 5 years he will have an far better group to pick from as well.

Just hope the English press don't decide to rip him apart at any point.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I think that his professional and dignified manner has rubbed off on a lot of the team too - they all stuck to the task last night, heads didn’t go down when Colombia equalised and it paid off. This mental strength that he is giving the team, by creating a sense of being part of a team, behaviour and activities and most importantly remembering that the players are human (Delph going home for his child’s birth) is possibly one of the most important things that he has done. There is a palpable sense that the players believe they can go far - which goes a long way ... getting far more out of the sum of the parts.

I’d go so far as to say that he might even get Ashley Young through a match without arguing with all and sundry - no doubt his biggest challenge.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Modern wrote:He's absolutely perfect for the job, great thing is in the next 5 years he will have an far better group to pick from as well.

Just hope the English press don't decide to rip him apart at any point.
Sadly that only ever seems to be no more than a few losses away, with out media.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think we're finally starting to see the results of the work done by blokes like Howard Wilkinson and our own Sir Trevor in dragging the FA kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century with the creation of the St George's Park facility. Southgate has been part of this process and he's also gone out to learn best practices from other sports and other countries.

He's identified where the strengths lie in English football and the senior team, like all of the age-group teams, play a style of football that best suits these strengths. He's then gone out and only picked players who are prepared to play in a manner that suits the system and best benefits the team.

I think he's also good at the HR side: giving the second eleven a chance to impress against Belgium was good management. Would he have done that if we'd needed a result from that game? Probably not. We'll never know. I also like the way he's brought someone like Alexander-Arnold to the tournament and given him game time. It shows he's thinking ahead. Even though he's been one of our standout players, Trippier is nearly 28 and may be past his best by the time the next World Cup comes along.

I think it's refreshing that we've got a bloke with a plan in charge who's capable of joined-up thinking.

Funnily enough, we did quite well under Venables and Robson as well 'cos they had some sort of plan too.