Gareth Southgate

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate

Post by S-H »

Maybe Southgate got his tactics wrong vs Croatia, but we have had far more experienced tacticians in charge of England before who haven't done half as well as Gareth has.

What Southgate has done that no one has been able to do since El Tel, was make us into a team, he has brought in a real togetherness.

I think he would have learnt a lot this summer, even though we played out well from the back, our organization from set pieces was a huge plus, if we can just sort out the balance of the midfield and attack, then there is definitely cause for optimism going forward.

There is a lot of very talented youngsters coming through the system.

:thup:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

swash wrote:Southgate's whole ethos was about keeping the squad grounded and taking it one game at at time, I'm amazed that more than one person on here is now taking Roy Keane's words as gospel
As much as I dislike Keane as a human, he is a born winner on a sports pitch as a player
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

fmgod wrote:
As much as I dislike Keane as a human, he is a born winner on a sports pitch as a player
And utter gash as a manager.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

After all his meticulous preparation and planning, it's hardly likely that Southgate was going to let the team think they had a bye to the final. Keane was just being an arse, and was probably a bit miffed that he'd never been part of such a well set-up international team.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

And yes, as S-H says, if he's such an astute tactician and manager, how come his career as a manager was so cack? No question he had some of the best mental fortitude as a club player (in addition to some wildly overrated attributes as a footballer) but he's got some front criticising anyone who's taken a relatively average squad to a world cup semi.
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote: As much as I dislike Keane as a human, he is a born winner on a sports pitch as a player
Doesn't make him immune from talking utter nonsense.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fmgod wrote:The big problem is we have no real proper games till 2020 so we have to wait two years to make a verdict, let's hope he learns in the next two years and we go into 2020 stronger.
We have Spain and Croatia in the Euro Nations League in Sep-Nov.

Whilst not as important as Euro qualifying matches, there is a trophy to win, and because performance in this Nations League impacts on seeding for future qualifying and tournament groups, coming bottom and being relegated to League 2 would certainly not be ideal - that would mean no chance of being a top seed (or even second seed) for upcoming events for example

There is quite a lot at stake, and I expect countries to take it relatively seriously