Sterling

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: Sterling

Post by carnage »

Irrelevant game. The team looked less threatening when he was taken off twice in the knockout stages. I turned to my mate when he was taken off on Wednesday and said that’s the game gone.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

carnage wrote:Irrelevant game. The team looked less threatening when he was taken off twice in the knockout stages. I turned to my mate when he was taken off on Wednesday and said that’s the game gone.
yet again I disagree

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/13021 ... ia-England" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sterling ...10 passes....1 key pass.

if that's your definition of bringing others into play...we must have different criteria...

Against Croatia:

1 dribble 2 dispossessed............he only had 22 touches on the ball....only Danny Rose had less.....Marcus Rashford had more -32 - and he came on as a sub for Sterling...if I am reading the data correctly....
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

There always has to be a fall guy for some people and in this team, it was Sterling.

He was better than Kane in every knock out match
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

e17 wrote:There always has to be a fall guy for some people and in this team, it was Sterling.

He was better than Kane in every knock out match
Not looking for a fall guy...

he was piss poor.....Lingard wasn't a lot better neither was Alli..

see my posts above or in other threads..I have not singled him out...Ashley Young and Rose were piss poor too..

I was still happy we got to the semis, enjoyed our games immensely and think we should give Southgate a 5 year contract....

Been great and restored my faith in the team....

doesn't change the fact that Sterling was dogshit....
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never been able to see what Sterling offers bar pace and good movement. The problem is that he’s playing a sport that also involves being able to also do something with a ball.....and IMO that is where he falls down over and over again (sometimes literally!)

I’ve heard him described as a player’s player and if that’s the case then fine, and I can accept I’ll be in the wrong for ever more :wink:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

He's Shaun Wright-Phillips
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

fmgod wrote:He's Shaun Wright-Phillips
His brother Bradley is the highest scoring player ever in the MLS with NY Red Bulls...

194 goals in 490 appearances....that says something about him..(or the level of the league that he plays in more likely....)

At Liverpool Sterling had:

2 in 36
10 in 38
11 in 52

At City Sterling has:

11 in 47
10 in 47
23 in 46

he had 11 assists last year too in the PL.

so last year was really an anomaly for him, and coincided with Pep's 2nd year and the players around him.

imvho.......
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:

At Liverpool Sterling had:

2 in 36
10 in 38
11 in 52

At City Sterling has:

11 in 47
10 in 47
23 in 46
I'm pretty much in agreement Cuenca. What I would say is, I've never really seen Sterling as a goal scorer anyway. I don't think Southgate should either.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Then we need more than Harry Kane mate...

He lacked service, isn't the counter attack threat that M'bappe is, doesn't have the ability or speed that Son (his team mate) or can go by players like he does, nor do we play counter attack football anyway. He has no one like Erickson to play him through balls, so unless Alli, Lingard et al can come up with goals, we are s.o.l as we say here in the States...

find a different system I think, because up against top tier teams he is going to find it really hard, and consequentially so will England. we are a slow methodical team and the opponent gets everyone behind the ball and we don't have anyone to break them down. no out and out wingers to cross the ball so we had to rely on set pieces.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Then we need more than Harry Kane mate...

He lacked service, isn't the counter attack threat that M'bappe is, doesn't have the ability or speed that Son (his team mate) or can go by players like he does, nor do we play counter attack football anyway. He has no one like Erickson to play him through balls, so unless Alli, Lingard et al can come up with goals, we are s.o.l as we say here in the States...

find a different system I think, because up against top tier teams he is going to find it really hard, and consequentially so will England. we are a slow methodical team and the opponent gets everyone behind the ball and we don't have anyone to break them down. no out and out wingers to cross the ball so we had to rely on set pieces.
Its why I think Rashford should have had more game time.