#61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

#61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

Post by Samba »

Tues 10th July
k/o 7pm

As Puff Daddy was off moderating, I have snuck in..

What a game, this could be.
Two teams packed full of stars, going head to head for the right to appear, in The 2018 World Cup Final.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: #61 France v Belgium - Semi-Final 1 ~ Match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

I hate to say it, but I think the winners of this one will win the whole thing, but what I will say is, that should England beat Croatia, as I am certain they will, we stand a better chance of lifting the World Cup against France than we do, Belgium
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yup, tournament favourite wins this game, and I think it’ll be the Belgians.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

I got France winning in extra time.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Comfortable win for the Belgians.

France were crap in the group, fair play beating Argentina in the fashion they did but Arg proved to be a dysfunctional team. Then they beat Uruguay comfortably but did absolutely nothing going forward really plus Uruguay were lost without Cavani. Belgium on the other hand showed incredible spirit to come back from 2 down, then beat a good Brasil team managing to deal with waves after waves of attacks. Belgium much more impressive, more well-rounded team too. 3-1 Belgium
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Let's hope this one is a real battle and that both teams come out of it with casualties. For France Mbappe can lose a leg and for Belgium Hazard, Dear Bruyne and Lukaku can suffer injury.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Full on French fan for this one.

I loathe Bobby brown shoes more than almost any other manager, part irrational, part his ability to make everything “a bit Wigan”

Don’t mind losing to the French, don’t really mind losing to the Belgians, definitely don’t mind if Modric is the difference between us and a WC final, but I loathe Martinez.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

France have been growing into the tournament and I don't think that De Bruyne and Hazard are playing anywhere near as well as they do for City and Chelsea. If both teams are at the top of their games on Tuesday, I reckon Belgium will shade it. However, if De Bruyne has one of his anonymous days and Pogba plays well, it could easily go the other way.

Assuming we get past Croatia, I don't really care who we get in the final. I think Belgium are slightly better but, on the other hand, our players know them better. Courtois, Kompany, Fellaini, Chadli, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku are all current or former clubmates of most of our team and I think it will play out like a Premier League game. France are more of an unknown quantity and I think they may prove to be trickier opponents.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There is some serious talent in both these two teams. As to who will win ? I just cannot call it. Much earlier in the tournament, I posted one to eleven, Belgium have the best ****ing team there and they do.Their one and only problem is Bobby Brown shoes, but credit must go to him for outmanoeuvring Brazil in the quarters, by playing Romelu Lukaku out wide, that befuddled Tite and in doing so, they got the result on the night. What will happen on Tuesday will be a great match and great entertainment for the neutral
djoe

Post by djoe »

Hope we win but France is a good team, have some doubts.
Anyway proud to be Belgian !

But i think the team that goes to the final from this game will win the World Cup in the end.
Croatia scraping trough several times (extra time - pens ) and Engeland started well but havent really upped their level of playing.
Kane looked really tired the last 2 games , not in the game ...
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

I hold a strong dislike of most French people, so I hope they get battered double digits.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I thought Belgium were lucky against Brazil, a dodgy own goal and then Brazil only turning up for 45 minutes but creating quite a few good chances, that they really should've of at least stuck 1 or 2 away and at least gone into extra-time. I think France will win this, can't see Griezman, Mbappe and Giroud not causing problems and they will be more clinical than the likes of Jesus
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Belgium for me. I think the way they have played across the whole tournament and in particular, how they beat Brazil shows they can beat the French - it will be a v tight game mind you and hopefully will tire the winners out for the final.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

fmgod

Think that's unfair on Belgium and looks at things from a how the big club/nation lost it perspective, rather than giving Belgium the credit they fully deserve.

Belgium run Brazil ragged for much of the first half and the Brazilians did not know how to handle them, tactically, physically nor mentally.

Problem with a player such as Thiago Silva, as good as he is, he's been playing all season against forwards from Dijon, Guingamp and Amiens, not the likes of Lukaku and Hazard.
Same for Fagner in the Brazilian league. Brazil's defensive unit in particular is just a mish mash of players, all stuck together arrogantly thinking the forwards will take care of business.

And, like many Brazilian teams, they lack b*llocks. They're all fun and games when they joga bonita the f*** around the pitch, flip-flapping and show boating when playing lesser teams and 2 goals up, but when they need to show a bit of character and mettle, they go hiding or start cheating.
c****

France (and England, should we get there) will be better suited to the task against the Belgians and tonight is far too close to call.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

See I don't think Belgium did much all game, first half got the goals, second half sat back, what did they create the whole game? Brazil had 27 shots to 9, okay Brazil had to go forward but they carved some good chances, can't remember Belgium really do anything bar Fernandinho own goal and a De Bruyne class goal. I'm not discrediting Belgium but Brazil second half made a few good chances, probably should've had a pen.

Suppose that's football though but I think France have more attacking quality overall and will finish them chances, also better defensively.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Much in the same way Belgium were deservedly 2-0 up at the break, they also allowed Brazil to come forward and defended their lead - I haven't checked the stats, but I'll wager the attempts were fairly even first half and 2nd half saw the majority of Brazil's efforts on goal when Belgium were happier to drop.

Don't get me wrong, Brazil definitely could have pulled it back, but Belgium won overall on merit.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Both teams packed full of talent, both teams better than us on paper. Both France & Belgium have been playing as a "team" as well.

Rightly so, whoever wins goes into the finals as favourites, I hope they believe that their semi is the Final and they just have to turn up against us/Croatia to become champions. As for me, that is the real chance we / Croatia have of winning the thing.

I think Belgium are "just" in front of France as a unit. I do think the water carrier is tactically better than brown shoes though, and that could "just" be the difference in France making the final.

Should be a great watch, and honestly, too close to call for these two.

If we make it, I would prefer to play Belgium, just. Think our front 4 will get more from the Belgians defence than France.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'd like France to win but I just have a feeling that Belguim are smarter and will walk away with a spot in the final.

On our day we could beat any of France, Belguim or Croatia but let's be honest, they are better than us, maybe Croatia are not better player for player, but they do have the best midfield in the whole tournament. Even if we go out to Croatia, what a WC it has been for us. An appearance in the final only for the 2nd time would be a nice cherry on top.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

I hope Belgium win this after extra time and 25 penalties.
A country whose staple diet is beer and chips gets my support all day long.
Very hard to call though, personal feelings aside.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Lukaku always destroys our west ham united defenses and for that reason alone i want france to win so just in case we get to the final i dont have to watch him ripping my team a new ****hole once again , albeit in a national shirt

Allez les bleus