#61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Patito

Re: #61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

Post by Patito »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:That's why numbers can be b*llocks.
You saw the game, you saw the incident, you know you are right.
It's only because the defender was not the last man (behind the keeper) that it won't go down as a 'Shot on Target', but as a blocked shot.
It's a proper weird stat! :thup:
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: I'd take Hazard over any other player in the league.

As would I, even Xhaka.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

If the defender wasn't there, there is no guarantee that the shot would have gone in, due to the goalkeeper being there.
However, if it was the goalkeeper who stopped the shot, or a defender who was the last man, then it would have surely been a goal, if it were not for that save - hence a shot on target.

It is a bit weird, but it's generally done for accuracy purposes and a model used by betting firms.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

I don't understand why a shot that hits the woodwork is not considered on target. What about the ones that hit the inside of the woodwork and manage to bounce out? Surely they are on target?

The Old Mile End wrote:I don't understand why a shot that hits the woodwork is not considered on target. What about the ones that hit the inside of the woodwork and manage to bounce out? Surely they are on target?
No, the target is to go into the goal, inside the frame of.

If it does not go into the goal, it is not on target.

A shot on target is deemed as a deliberate attempt which would have resulted in a goal if it were not for *the last man* stopping it - where the last man is the goalkeeper in 99.9% of the cases.

In much the same way, the offside rule is pretty simple when laid out - that you simply need 2 players between you and the goal, when receiving the ball from a teammate.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: In much the same way, the offside rule is pretty simple when laid out - that you simply need 2 players between you and the goal, when receiving the ball from a teammate.
Well, no. It's when the ball is played, not when you receive it. :)

Yes, of course.

I was saying it to clarify that it had to come from a teammate, but ****ed the wording obviously! :)