#61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Re: #61 France v Belgium - Semi-Final 1 ~ Match thread

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Cultural differences. I watched this in a French bar. At full time, there was a big cheer. Then everybody got up, finished their nursed glass of white wine, and buggered off home.

Maybe they are just spoilt.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Spoilt or they figured jumping on a paramedics car or a glass roofed taxi was a bit last week
Denali
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Denali »

Says you! I have a bunch of drunk idiots driving through my village honking their horns nonstop. Around here it isn’t safe in the streets.
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:France are almost the complete team for me

They have pace up top, hugely skillful players, unparalleled strength and power in midfield and are very tight at the back

They also have extreme tactical discipline which allows them to play at various tempos and suck the life out of the opposition if needed

I tipped them to win before the tournament and nothing leads me to change that

England have not come up against anything anywhere near as strong in this tournament in any department, and I fear they will prove too strong for us (if we get through)
At the end of the day, they're still French.......
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

They still are going crazy on the riviera

To be Fair they have been up for it all day, they do go mad in the bigger cities Paris Lyon Marseille and Nice have certainly made a lot of noise as has the next biggest French city, London ;)
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

DoubleDave wrote:Why couldn't France put up that sort of defence in 1940?
Well, I think they lasted for 90 minutes in 1940.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

fmgod wrote:They deserved to win it, they just have more top quality than Belgium to me they was an English sides in the Champions League good but not good enough, considering they started with 10 prem players. Also Courtois made some awesome saves that could've easily gone in. Varane and Umitti were imperious, Lakkau wasn't in the game, even players like De Bruyne looked off it, Hazard for all his lively-ness and running didn't really go anywhere most of the time.
Didn't see that at all .... both teams were well below top form but overall the game was pretty even, Belgium had more possession, France created more chances .... half the players on the pitch looked knackered, in particular the Belgium 'creative' players .... the fact that Belgium used subs two and three in the 80th and 90th minutes showed how weak their bench was ....

France now get an extra 24 hours rest ... that going to make a big difference in the final .... but there was nothing 'scary' about that French display for either England or Croatia to worry to much about .....
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: #61 France 1-0 Belgium - Semi-Final 1

Post by fmgod »

I thought France were professional, controlled the game how they wanted and absolute nullified Belgium to a t, Lakkau wasn't in the game, De Bruyne shut down and Hazard was all style no substance, created nothing, went past a few players but did nothing with it. Chadli probably through some of the best balls into the box.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Martinez paid too much respect to the French side for me, and the French took full advantage in a very tactically astute and professional manner.

French side are pretty much the closest to a finished article I have seen this WC.

IF we get through, we need Maguire and his fat head to lay one on Mbappe in the tunnel before the game starts....
djoe

Post by djoe »

Hope the French dont win.
What a negative bunch, so many topclass players and they showed nothing. Defence all the time.

Our topplayers werent in the game. And Chadli + Dembele were just abysmal. Chance off a lifetime wasted for us. To slow to attack and when it became dangerous they just kicked at Hazard.
Hope FIFA is happy with that ref from Uruguay, what a tosser.

If you play the French give them the ball and dont play football.
Only way to beat them, dont let them play their negative game
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Martinez paid too much respect to the French side for me, and the French took full advantage in a very tactically astute and professional manner.
Bobby Brown Shoes got tactically out done by Deschamps, going far more defensive than he should have. Belgium lacked bite going forwards and were crowded out in midfield. Three centre halves on the pitch for so long, Mertens on the bench, Fellaini starting, Chadli on the pitch.

I tipped the French as winners before the start, and they're looking the complete team now. Quality in every position, players that compliment each other, pace, power, tactical discipline and the nous to win knockout games in 90 minutes.

Then again they should have won the Euros in 2016 and were undone by a very ordinary Portugal team that was without Ronaldo, so it's not a certainty that they'll win the final regardless of who they face.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Let's have it right...

Chadli's crossing was woeful

Umtiti was better in the opposition's box than his own, made numerous defensive errors that weren't punished

Hazard was dangerous all night, forced saves, created chances, flashed one just wide early on, won a number of free kicks in good positions

Not much between the teams but France were very disciplined, Griezman and Pogba really put in a defensive shift for them
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

For sure Sendo, in a one off 90 minute game it's all up for grabs. Hopefully it will be us after 90 minutes on Sunday keeping the ball at the back 3 nil up...... :scarfer:
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Patito wrote: Hazard was dangerous all night, forced saves, created chances, flashed one just wide early on, won a number of free kicks in good positions
See I don't get this, two shots, neither on target, 10 dribbles, no chances created, displaced twice, just a lot of hot air, head down footballer, went no where everytime, all style no substance, plenty of times he should've of released the ball and moved on, Hazard put in one cross all game, he is meant to be a winger and they had the likes of Lakkau, WItsel, Fellani, Dembele in there, he failed at his job, supplying the big men. His opposite numbers Griezman and Mbappe were far more actually productive without being selfish(mbappe less)

I don't get the criticism of France, that was an ultra efficient, professional, clean sheet victory, even were unlucky not to score a few more with Courtois making some class saves from Pavard, Tolisso. I thought they displayed how to win a semi-final 101, to beat them you've got to be boring and do what Portugal did ie defend deep which knocks out Mbappe and Griezman's pace and then try to knick a goal on the counter or set-piece
Last edited by fmgod on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote:
See I don't get this, two shots, neither on target,
I can picture in my head the shot he had that Lloris had to palm away, he rinsed Pavard cutting inside and forced a save, so he definitely had at least one shot on target
fmgod wrote: 10 dribbles, no chances created, displaced twice, just a lot of hot air, head down footballer, went no where everytime, all style no substance, plenty of times he should've of released the ball and moved on.
He's quite the opposite, he has his head up more than most footballers. Something that even the commentary picked up on last night. He has plenty of substance, which is why he has bags of goals, assists and chances created since his time way back at Lille.
fmgod wrote: I don't get the criticism of France, that was an ultra efficient, professional, clean sheet victory, even were unlucky not to score a few more with Courtois making some class saves from Pavard, Tolisso. I thought they displayed how to win a semi-final 101, to beat them you've got to be boring and do what Portugal did ie defend deep which knocks out Mbappe and Griezman's pace and then try to knick a goal on the counter or set-piece
I'm not sure if this is in response to me but I wasn't criticising France's performance, I described them as professional as well and agree they edged that match last night. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I see you've added to your post:
Hazard put in one cross all game, he is meant to be a winger and they had the likes of Lakkau, WItsel, Fellani, Dembele in there, he failed at his job, supplying the big men.
No, he's not. He's not meant to be a winger at all he was playing centrally. He actually ended up having to drop deep to get the ball off the centre backs as he was the only Belgian taking the ball and driving them up the pitch.

Lukaku and Fellaini both had big chances to score with their heads and they both squandered them, Lukaku looked well off the pace and had a few chances he could have done better with.

As for Dembele, he didn't get near the box at all so how was anyone supposed to put it on his head.

I don't understand how you can rate Xhaka but not Hazard.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Patito wrote:
I can picture in my head the shot he had that Lloris had to palm away, he rinsed Pavard cutting inside and forced a save, so he definitely had at least one shot on target

He's quite the opposite, he has his head up more than most footballers. Something that even the commentary picked up on last night. He has plenty of substance, which is why he has bags of goals, assists and chances created since his time way back at Lille.
Just seen post above so Ill try to merge them

Who scored and the official world cup site have him down as no shots on target

He has substance to a degree but he never does anything in the Champions League, never does anything against the top top players for me, always goes missing in regards to end product, it's why he is a Chelsea level player. He is quality but even his numbers indicate he is good but not that amazing whenever he plays a level up he goes missing and last night for me he did nothing of any substance, his job was to put the ball into the box for the target men, he did it once in 90 minutes

He was meant to be on the wing, the wingers were Chadli and Hazard with Witsel, Fellani, Dembele and De Bruyne central, Hazard and Chadli providing the width and crosses, Chadli attempted 11 crosses

Because Xhaka constantly does the things he is expected to do really well, passing he is absolutely superb at, the stats indicate so, it's not his fault Wenger trying getting him to play as a defensive midfielder, if you let him spray he is a brilliant player

Granit Xhaka & Kevin De Bruyne are the only two Premier League players this season with at least 2,000 successful passes, 7 assists, and 50 tackles.

Think he had the highest average pass length as well
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

To be fair, fmgod, you did once call Ronaldo (the real one) overrated.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Fmgod - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 2 mins 10 seconds in, wasn't a save by the goalie the defender had to head it over but definitely on target

He was not meant to be on the wing, hence why he was constantly playing through the middle, he made some runs wide left because there was space there but he was playing off Lukaku last night, as he has done this tournament.

I disagree with what you're saying about substance I think he brings plenty but fair play it's all down to opinions.

Chadli may well have attempted 11 crosses but most of them seemed to hit the first man!

Xhaka is a bottle job, sees himself as a hardman but gets pushed off the ball and bottles challenges. He's got a great strike on him and loves a nice sideways pass but offers no protection to the defence behind him and goes missing when he's needed. Not even remotely in the same class as either De Bruyne or Hazard.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

That's why numbers can be b*llocks.
You saw the game, you saw the incident, you know you are right.
It's only because the defender was not the last man (behind the keeper) that it won't go down as a 'Shot on Target', but as a blocked shot.

I'd take Hazard over any other player in the league.