The (Club) Criteria for claiming a World Cup

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

The (Club) Criteria for claiming a World Cup

Post by Rays Rock »

Okay lads and Lasses,
Those peskey upstarts from Haringey are making noises along the lines of a claim linking Spurs being the reason for England recent success.
Now we know how much our wind up claim from 66 gets on their nerves, so I thought I should set some ground rules just in case any of these fools try and claim this world cup as a Spurs success.

1st of all, before we go into the unlikely scenario of England winning the bloody thing, we must always have what I like to call our "Choker" up our sleeves. This must be used at them as soon as any disappointment comes our way. This ones quite simple and straight forward. All of the blame must be directed at spurs for our loss because as everybody knows, spurs are Englands perennial "Chokers"and nearly Men. This claim should be enough to put them in their places and have then spitting all of those cockerel feathers.

Like I say, in the unlikely event of England winning the cup the minimum criteria has to be that any player associated has to be entirely brought through that clubs ranks. They must score all of the goals in the final, and one of the players must score at least a Hat Trick.

Have I missed anything ?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: The (Club) Criteria for claiming a World Cup

Post by vietnammer »

Yorkshire
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

vietnammer wrote:Yorkshire
i can live with that one.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

He moved to Chelmsford when he was 6.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Mega Ron wrote:He moved to Chelmsford when he was 6.
Apprentice to West Ham
Anyway he was born in Lancashire not Yorkshire.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Generally I hate Spurs but if we win the world cup I'm happy to give the accolades to Tottenham. "It's coming home" :scarfer: (no England smiley)
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Sky have perpetuated & embedded a “clubs are everything” mentality in modern football supporters.

They don’t own the rights to the World Cup.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Captain the side
Score 4 goals
Assists for 3 of them.

Match that they get kudos.
Better that then they win and I’m giving up football for good
FrostyLemon

Post by FrostyLemon »

It's so ****ing pathetic but I've been finding it hard to get behind this England team for this very reason. I've just had to come to terms with the fact that I'll cheer on a Spurs player when he lifts the World Cup and I'll immediately throw myself out the window afterwards. I've had a good life.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

If Henderson scores the winner in the final and Pickford is man of the match do Sunderland get to claim they won it?I

t's something said in jest, I'll take a World Cup win and anyone can claim what they like.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 1966 »

A lot of other nations have had plentiful Spurs mention. If we win it'll be a 'Spurs threw it 'conspiracy.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

I’ve always found the whole “West Ham won the World Cup” thing a bit cringeworthy. As far as I’m concerned, as soon as a player pulls on an England shirt, they’re representing the country, and it really doesn’t matter who they play for at other times. I don’t care if England field 6 Spursers and 5 scousers. Alll the while they are wearing the England shirt I shall support them. They can go back to being ****s when the premier league starts again.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

SullySpecial wrote:I’ve always found the whole “West Ham won the World Cup” thing a bit cringeworthy.
Yes but for some reason some of those spurs lot are so precious that they’re so easy to wind up with stuff like this. So the longer it can continue the better.
Hammer in Split

Post by Hammer in Split »

I’m not going to accept ‘we won the world cup’ from Tottenham unless they beat Germany in the final.
Like we had to. :scarfer:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

SullySpecial wrote:I’ve always found the whole “West Ham won the World Cup” thing a bit cringeworthy.
Yep, it's embarrassing.

Always squirm when I hear a mutual West Ham fan discuss it in an open conversation with fans of other clubs; you can visibility see them smirk and instantly drop any respect.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

FrostyLemon wrote:It's so ****ing pathetic but I've been finding it hard to get behind this England team for this very reason. I've just had to come to terms with the fact that I'll cheer on a Spurs player when he lifts the World Cup and I'll immediately throw myself out the window afterwards. I've had a good life.
You're not alone. I can't get behind the team either. Well done for getting where they are (although they threw a game to get the easy route 8-) ) but I can't stand the thought of seeing Harry Kane spit and dribble all over the World Cup when he's giving an interview after winning it.

I don't know why I'm worrying though and we all know what Spurs players are like in semi-finals!!!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

claretandblue82 wrote:
You're not alone. I can't get behind the team either. Well done for getting where they are (although they threw a game to get the easy route 8-) ) but I can't stand the thought of seeing Harry Kane spit and dribble all over the World Cup when he's giving an interview after winning it.

I don't know why I'm worrying though and we all know what Spurs players are like in semi-finals!!!

What the f*** is the matter with you?

That's embarrassing.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

At least 3 players who came through the ranks (rules out Deli Alli and Trippier)
Captain
Scorers of at least 4 goals in the final
At least 3 assists
Successful use of tactic developed at club (e.g. near post crosses)
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

claretandblue82 wrote:

I am struggling to understand how any Englishman can have this mentality. Are you saying you don't want England to win the World Cup as they are captained by a Spurs player? Let Kane score a hat full in both games and bring it home
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Calm down. It was tongue in cheek. Yes it would be good if they won the World Cup but I can't get excited about it. No one's having a go at Frostylemon who could be dead by Sunday tea time, God bless his soul.

Anyway if Belgium get the to final I think they would be worthy winners! (hides for cover!)