#63 England v Belgium ~ 3rd /4th place match thread

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: #63 England v Belgium ~ 3rd /4th place match thread

Post by Rio »

One thing that came from today is why Ashley Young played in front of Rose. He was appalling
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Rio wrote:One thing that came from today is why Ashley Young played in front of Rose. He was appalling
I look forward to seeing how young Ryan Sessegnon progresses, hopefully he will make that position his own.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

He doesn't play LB/LWB for Fulham anymore...I am pretty sure they have another LB and he plays more OLM which is why he scored so many goals.....

He won't make an international LB I reckon if he has been moved already in the Fizzy.........

Still we really need a wide Left sided player or play him on the right and cut in...either way we have some pace and someone who is't afraid of taking a player on or taking a shot instead of doing the Arsenal tip tap tip tap around the box..put your bloody foot through it man !!!!!!

:lol:
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Plenty of reasons to be positive going forward, but also plenty of things need to be worked on before we can consider ourselves capable of making the transition from quarter/semi finalists to runners up or even winners. Take the positives, work hard on the negatives and there is a bright future ahead.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We scored an 87th minute set piece winner against Tunisia, then beat the worst team in the tournament, then lost to a far better team, then we were run ragged by Colombia in the second half. Although we won the penalty shoot out, after extra time, it should be noted, Colombia also whacked one against our crossbar too in that game. Although Sweden did not offer much in our match with them, Pickford still had to earn his corn on that match top. After that, we were found well and truly wanting. Next time, our players will be 4 years older and you can be certain some of the old order nations will re-group a d come back far stronger when it all kicks off again in Qatar in 4 years from now
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:We scored an 87th minute set piece winner against Tunisia, then beat the worst team in the tournament, then lost to a far better team, then we were run ragged by Colombia in the second half. Although we won the penalty shoot out, after extra time, it should be noted, Colombia also whacked one against our crossbar too in that game. Although Sweden did not offer much in our match with them, Pickford still had to earn his corn on that match top. After that, we were found well and truly wanting. Next time, our players will be 4 years older and you can be certain some of the old order nations will re-group a d come back far stronger when it all kicks off again in Qatar in 4 years from now
That's the ticket Puff..........

:eh: :eh: :eh:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:We scored an 87th minute set piece winner against Tunisia, then beat the worst team in the tournament, then lost to a far better team, then we were run ragged by Colombia in the second half. Although we won the penalty shoot out, after extra time, it should be noted, Colombia also whacked one against our crossbar too in that game. Although Sweden did not offer much in our match with them, Pickford still had to earn his corn on that match top. After that, we were found well and truly wanting. Next time, our players will be 4 years older and you can be certain some of the old order nations will re-group a d come back far stronger when it all kicks off again in Qatar in 4 years from now
Christmas ****ing World Cup

Awful
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

To be fair, we could've been 2-0 up against the Croats if Kane had put away that chance in the first half.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Puff Daddy wrote:We scored an 87th minute set piece winner against Tunisia

No we didn't. :)
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

brothernero wrote:"Puff Daddy"We scored an 87th minute set piece winner against Tunisia

No we didn't. :)
You're right it was more like 91st minute all the rest is sadly very accurate and I didn't see much to indicate that we're likely to exceed or even equal this performance again anytime soon.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Harry

but let's take it for what it was... a World Cup where we stayed after the group stage....

loads of interest, loads of people watching, a team that was more a sum of it's parts than individuals....

a smashing summer..yes we had our limitations....we have had better teams and done far worse...

I am a slightly happy camper...

:thup:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Harry Hound wrote:You're right it was more like 91st minute all the rest is sadly very accurate and I didn't see much to indicate that we're likely to exceed or even equal this performance again anytime soon.
Did you expect this team to get to a semi final then?
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

e17 wrote: Did you expect this team to get to a semi final then?
Of course, I didn't expect them to get to the semi-final, just like I didn't expect for Germany to not get out of their group or for Argentina, Portugal, Spain etc. to be eliminated so quickly.
I did expect us to beat Tunisia (though we were close to coming away with a draw), I expected us to beat Panama and thought we had a good chance to beat Columbia and Sweden, which is actually the sum of our achievements when you take away the favourable route to the semi-final and the poor performance of stronger teams. I also totally threw myself into the hype and really believed that with a little luck and application we could have beat Croatia and even beaten France in the final. I watched the semi-final in the Fox near Prince Regent station, the place was packed and the atmosphere was amazing and when we scored obviously it was incredible. However for me, it's now back to reality and today I'm hoping for a Croatia win. 8-)
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Wow, life must be fun in your household with your negative outlook on things. You look back at the tournament and pick out all the negatives - apart from being 4 years older and I'm not sure you didn't even mean that as a negative. I could look back, just pick out the positives making everything look rosy but that would be equally as invalid as your post in representing what really happened.

Before the tournament started we knew we were a long way from the best team in the world and we still know that. We did however do much better than expected with a young team that is likely to get better. (Note that the team getting better doesn't mean we will win the World Cup or even get to the semis again as so much depends upon chance - Brazil are much better than us but went less far - but it would mean a team with a better chance of progressing and competing well with the big boys.)
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

The one very big positive is Gareth Southgate. It's reassuring to see a manager trying to play to our strengths as a team and very refreshing to hear his very realistic and down to earth summary of what we achieved and hear his thoughts on where we are as a footballing nation. We got lucky with the draw, with a bit more luck we could have made the finals. We did not crash out and were in no way a shambles and we do now have a decent base to work from.