West Ham & England

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

CurlyHammer
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

West Ham & England

Post by CurlyHammer »

As a 30 year old. What does it feel like to win anything? Thanks
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: West Ham & England

Post by Faithless »

I'd also like to know as a 38 year old, cheers :thup:
FrostyLemon

Post by FrostyLemon »

I'm half Brazilian and my first football shirt was a Man Utd shirt I asked my mum for because I liked the black. I was five years old, and Dad soon swooped in and took me to West Ham to sort out that problem.

Thanks Dad.

:crest:
CurlyHammer

Post by CurlyHammer »

FrostyLemon wrote:I'm half Brazilian and my first football shirt was a Man Utd shirt I asked my mum for because I liked the black. I was five years old, and Dad soon swooped in and took me to West Ham to sort out that problem.

Thanks Dad.

:crest:
Unlucky mate you could’ve had it all.

Suppose you can’t really taste the sweet without the sour.
FrostyLemon

Post by FrostyLemon »

CurlyHammer wrote:
Unlucky mate you could’ve had it all.

Suppose you can’t really taste the sweet without the sour.
Wouldn't have it any other way :crest:
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Not football, but I have almost as much love and passion for my Baseball team. Thankfully I got to see them do a Leicester and actually go and win a World Series Championship against all the odds.

It's an awesome and totally Surreal feeling. I still get a buzz from it all these years later.

I only wish before I meet the Grim Reaper I get to experience that with West Ham. I expect the feeling of joy will be even greater.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

CurlyHammer wrote:As a 30 year old. What does it feel like to win anything? Thanks
As a 54 year old, it's quite good. Enjoyable mostly for it's rarity value.

I'd make the best of bitter ****ing disappointment if I were you :D
CurlyHammer

Post by CurlyHammer »

Clucking Bell wrote:
As a 54 year old, it's quite good. Enjoyable mostly for it's rarity value.

I'd make the best of bitter ****ing disappointment if I were you :D
Don’t worry about that mate. Already had enough practice of bitter disappointment. :scarfer:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

What's odd is that football isn't really my sport. I got found out at the U-12 level and I've got limited interest in the game outside of West Ham and England.

On the other hand I've played rugby and cricket at a decent standard and I've been national standard at cycling and triathlon. In truth, Wiggins and Froome winning the Tour; Chrissie Wellington being undefeated over the Ironman distance and Brownlee being a double Olympic champion are all very interesting. As is us winning the Ashes or the Rugby World Cup.

Frankly, I'd trade the ****ing lot for West Ham winning the League or the FA Cup (for some reason I couldn't give a f*** about whatever the League Cup is called this week) or England winning the World Cup again.

However, in the meantime, I'm making the best of bitter disappointment.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Didn't you know?

We won the world cup for England in 1966...

Also Upton Park F.C won the gold medal for Great Britain in 1900..

Happy days.. :scarfer:
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

My earliest football memories are reasonable vague ones of West Ham winning the FA cup in 64 followed by the ECWP in 65. I remember the England win in 66 very well, I was 10 at the time and really confident throughout the tournament, I don't think getting used to winning when I was young helped with the later failures as at the time I considered winning the norm.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I'm 32 and it's been at least 5 years that I've resigned myself to never seeing West Ham win anything of note
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

bobcar wrote:I remember the England win in 66 very well, I was 10 at the time and really confident throughout the tournament....at the time I considered winning the norm.
Too true. It lasted right up until the Germans knocked us out of the 1970 Mexico World Cup in the Quarter Finals. And we led and dominated that game 2-0 with about 20 mins to go.

West Ham and England went hand in hand. Going the distance in tournaments and holding your own against the best was par for the course. FA Cup 1964, ECWC 1965, World Cup 1966, third place at the 1968 Euro Nations Cup. Moore, Hurst and Peters constantly in the England side, and always making an impact.

Even though we stopped winning things at West Ham, we were always likely to go on a decent cup run. England meanwhile were formidable.

Had we won the QF at Mexico that day, we would likely have made the final and faced that fantastic Brazilian side again.

Unfortunately the 1970's were a great disappointment to English football. That's when reality set in.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

CurlyHammer wrote:As a 30 year old. What does it feel like to win anything? Thanks
So you were 8 in Euro '96?
How close were England? At most, a Gazza stud length away from the final. Headbanger
And 18 for the '06 FA Cup Final?
Again, seconds, f***ing seconds, away from winning the thing.. Headbanger
So, you've been close, CurlyH..
CurlyHammer

Post by CurlyHammer »

Samba wrote: So you were 8 in Euro '96?
How close were England? At most, a Gazza stud length away from the final. Headbanger
And 18 for the '06 FA Cup Final?
Again, seconds, f***ing seconds, away from winning the thing.. Headbanger
So, you've been close, CurlyH..
Close makes it worse!

The defining moment was the 06 final and looking round in the pub I was at seeing people dancing on the table, thinking ‘we’re actually going win something’. Then literally as I turned to face the TV Gerrard scored.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

For the record, the Euro 96 Semi and 06 Final losses felt a lot worse (to me, anyway) than wednesday's loss to Croatia.
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Sadly, 1970 was the first World Cup in my memory, but did at least have the FA cups in ‘75 & ‘80.

Glass half full time: I work with a Bayern Munich supporter. Imagine the dullness of expecting to win every league game. No great celebration when you do win and much tearing out of hair on those very few occasions when you don’t. At least we occasionally win when we were not expected to. How great a feeling is that?

(Awards self bravery medal for suggesting its somehow better to be a West Ham fan than a BM one...) :scarfer:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Haarlemammer wrote:Sadly, 1970 was the first World Cup in my memory, but did at least have the FA cups in ‘75 & ‘80.
Glass half full time: I work with a Bayern Munich supporter. Imagine the dullness of expecting to win every league game. No great celebration when you do win and much tearing out of hair on those very few occasions when you don’t. At least we occasionally win when we were not expected to. How great a feeling is that?
(Awards self bravery medal for suggesting its somehow better to be a West Ham fan than a BM one...) :scarfer:
There's actually something in that. A West Ham win always feels good.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I was 7 in 1974 when I first started supporting us .... imagine the joy of 2 cup wins and 2 finals in the first 6 years, I was a mere glory hunter!!.... and then the wilderness years!!

Mind you, promotions and play-off finals have been enjoyable too. 2006, less so.
Samba

Post by Samba »

pablo jaye wrote:I was 7 in 1974 when I first started supporting us .... imagine the joy of 2 cup wins and 2 finals in the first 6 years, I was a mere glory hunter!!.... and then the wilderness years!!
Mind you, promotions and play-off finals have been enjoyable too. 2006, less so.
Don't forget Pablo, 3 finals & a promotion in your first 7 seven years!
They were good times..