Honestly, how many teams have you seen so far and thought...

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Honestly, how many teams have you seen so far and thought...

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Hey, England would beat them, no problem?

Can't think of many, so far.

France! :lol:
Togo
Japan
USA

That's about it...
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

All of them.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

dodger wrote:All of them.
A pint of what you've been smoking!
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

Italy and holland played well, but if we played them i think we would beat them. Italy were defending a hell of a lot and allowed ghana a few long shots and chances. Given the midfielders we have who can strike long shots no problem (not mentioning names Gerrard) and the strikers we have i think we could cause a few problems.

Same as holland there defence is dodgy.

The germans didnt seem to impress me to much, there defence is a major let down, even the brazilians lack something in defence.

I think we could beat a majority of the teams, but lets get passed trinidad first, remember shaka is in goal could be tricky :wink:
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Turn the question on its head and ask how many teams we've seen so far would beat England no problem?

From what I've seen - which is virtually all of it - I'd struggle to name one side that would have no problem beating us. Not saying no side could beat us, just that there haven't been any totally convincing performances from any side. The Czechs looked good but the USA were poor, Germany scored a few but looked dodgy in defence, Holland, Portugal, Italy, France and Brazil all turned in sub-standard performances. Arguably only Argentina have totally lived up to reputation so far and even then they only won by a single goal margin against the Ivory Coast.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Brazil
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

WestHam4Life wrote:Italy and holland played well, but if we played them i think we would beat them. Italy were defending a hell of a lot and allowed ghana a few long shots and chances. Given the midfielders we have who can strike long shots no problem (not mentioning names Gerrard) and the strikers we have i think we could cause a few problems.

Same as holland there defence is dodgy.

The germans didnt seem to impress me to much, there defence is a major let down, even the brazilians lack something in defence.

I think we could beat a majority of the teams, but lets get passed trinidad first, remember shaka is in goal could be tricky :wink:
Thought the Dutch defence looked very solid. Hardly conceded in qualifying too.

I think if the horse can get his head on the game, Holland could go all the way.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Easier to turn it around, and say which teams have I seen that I feel would beat England, going on what we've seen

So far:- Czechs, Argies, Brazil(if they actually break into a sweat!)

Other sides who I would call it 50/50, as to who would win:- Holland, Italy

As for the rest, there are good sides out there, but the above teams are pretty much the only ones I'd worry about facing-going on what we've seen so far
loveboatcaptain
Yellow card - abuse

Post by loveboatcaptain »

I think we'd struggle to beat Argentina and Brazil, just because they keep the ball so much better than us.
I don't think there is one amazing European side this year, Holland are probably the best I've seen so far.
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

Holland played a below par serbia team who to be honest didnt really create much. Cant see them going very far at all.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

Based on last night, we would beat Brazil.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Personally I think Ivory Coast would give us a game, Argentina if we allowed them to control midfield, Italy just because we are so bad at breaking teams down at the moment, Brazil if they could be arsed because they keep the ball so well.

Will be interesting to see how Spain play today.

Czech Republic and Croatia will also be hard to play against as they pack the last 3rd out.

My view is we have the individual capabilities but as a team we suffer so unless we can overcome that tendancy we can be snuffed out easily.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

I think you're all going on what we've seen so far from the other teams versus what you think England are capable of. Compare our actual performance on Saturday (OK 1st half, absolute toilet 2nd half) with the actual performances of the other teams we've seen and I think it tells a different story.

We'll probably raise our game as the tournament progresses (as will the others) so I'm not overly worried, unless we stick with lumping it up to Crouch and hoping...
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

My big hope for England is that you only play as good as the team you are up against. And Paraguay were poo.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

I think Toulose has the nail on the head. We were below par against Paraguay, but so were Brazil and France in their openers. From what I saw of them, SouthKorea looked top draw.

A below par England could fail to beat anyone. A top quality England performance is capable of seeing off anybody (except maybe the USA :lol: ).
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Claretdave wrote:I think Toulose has the nail on the head. We were below par against Paraguay, but so were Brazil and France in their openers.
Yes, but with England and Brasil, you know they can play a hell of a lot better.

I'm not convinced the French can, or will. I'm sure there will be improvement, but not to the standard required to seriously challenge. I can't see how they can improve much with aging players like Zidane & Viera holding them back, and I don't see how they can improve by leaving them out. Great defence, and great strikers, but I'm not convinced by them as a whole

Brazil have other options if Ronaldo continues the way he was last night, and England have another option or 2 as well!
loveboatcaptain
Yellow card - abuse

Post by loveboatcaptain »

and England have another option or 2 as well!
Yeah, f*** all and bugger all! [/code]
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

loveboatcaptain wrote: Yeah, f*ck all and bugger all! [/code]
I was actually thinking of Rooney, and a fully fit Owen..........

.......but you may be closer to the truth! :lol:
D.C

Post by D.C »

Let's face it...none of the big teams apart mainly from Spain have set the world alight in their opening matches and as usual..Spain will probably be an anti-climax as usual this world cup.

Wait to the 2nd round matches to begin before we really begin to see what the BIG teams can do..