England v Trinidad & Tobago

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

East london sid
Horses for courses

England v Trinidad & Tobago

Post by East london sid »

Striker Wayne Rooney could make the England bench after coach Sven-Goran Eriksson described him as "match fit".

But right-back Gary Neville (calf) is doubtful after being sent to hospital for a scan, with either Owen Hargreaves or Jamie Carragher set to deputise.

West Ham's Shaka Hislop will continue to fill in for injured Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Kelvin Jack.

Defender Brent Sancho keeps his place but full-back Avery John is suspended.

England (probable): Robinson, Hargreaves/Carragher, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole; Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J Cole, Owen, Crouch.

Trinidad & Tobago (probable): Hislop, Lawrence, Sancho, Gray, Edwards, Samuel, Birchall, Theobald, Jones, S John, Yorke.

Referee: Toru Kamikawa (Japan)

Eriksson said that Michael Owen is likely to start in attack alongside Peter Crouch for England's second Group B match but his biggest selection poser is over the participation of Rooney.

His appearance at the finals has been the subject of fevered debate since he broke his foot against Chelsea on 29 April.

The coach revealed he would sleep on the decision as to whether he would risk Rooney as a substitute, but insists there is no chance that 20-year-old will actually start the match.

His decision comes against a backdrop where some reports suggest the FA could face legal action if the Manchester United striker suffers a secondary injury.

Eriksson may consider sending on 17-year-old Theo Walcott up front if Michael Owen, who was substituted after 55 minutes of Saturday's 1-0 win over Paraguay, fails to last out again.

Former United striker Dwight Yorke, perhaps the best known of the Trinidad and Tobago squad, has warned England will face a physical game.

Conditions are also likely to be tough, with the temperature possibly reaching 28C despite the match kicking off in the early evening.

It will also be a battle of the giants as Crouch tussles with Trinidad's Dennis Lawrence, the Wrexham defender who is also 6ft 7ins tall.

3-0 with owen hitting the net twice
noble art

Post by noble art »

a comfy 2-0 win,terry and crouch
6pts and off to the last 16
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

I'd love a 0-0, with Shaka putting in a herculean performance between the sticks. A **** 1-0 win is more likely.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Real Madrid etc. vs a little piece of East London.
noble art

Post by noble art »

shaka,you are now allowed to have your worst game of the season
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

Philosophical Dan wrote:I'd love a 0-0, with Shaka putting in a herculean performance between the sticks. A sh*t 1-0 win is more likely.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Real Madrid etc. vs a little piece of East London.
Yes, I'd have settled for, as it would've give T & T an outside chance of going through too. Trouble is, I wouldn't put it past Sven to make a hash of our game against Sweden, so I don't think we can rely on a result in the final game.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

noble art wrote:shaka,you are now allowed to have your worst game of the season
Hammers fans will allow it for one day only.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

i think we should get a 3-0 here...either that or a dour nil-nil

dont think we should play rooney

let owen have some target practice

shaka to have a nightmare
]

anyone else "get" the england band??!?! cant stand them -they are shef weds arent they??-- saw the twats on telly this morning....fookin brass band tootling that mind numbingly boring great escape tune LIKE THEY DO ALL DAY EVERY ****ing DAY!!!!

or am i a grumpy old school git and should get with it, and get my face painted while i'm at it?!
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

w4hammer wrote:i think we should get a 3-0 here...either that or a dour nil-nil

dont think we should play rooney

let owen have some target practice

shaka to have a nightmare
]

anyone else "get" the england band??!?! cant stand them -they are shef weds arent they??-- saw the twats on telly this morning....fookin brass band tootling that mind numbingly boring great escape tune LIKE THEY DO ALL DAY EVERY ****ing DAY!!!!

or am i a grumpy old school git and should get with it, and get my face painted while i'm at it?!

Imagine having to sit near them at a match. How annoying?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Philosophical Dan wrote:I'd love a 0-0, with Shaka putting in a herculean performance between the sticks. A sh*t 1-0 win is more likely.

Of course it isn't though is it.

It's England v Trinidad & Tobago at the World Cup so I will be supporting England.

Hope we win 10-0

Come on England!

:stgeorge:
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

Philosophical Dan wrote:
Imagine having to sit near them at a match. How annoying?
Yep, I'd hate to sit next to them. Although having said that, for some reason whilst I'd never want them at UP or at domestic games, I don't mind the band/drums at internationals. :oops:
Gringo Hammer

Post by Gringo Hammer »

Think it would make sense to leave out Gerrard, Owen and Neville, who didnt look fit, for this game and the next (presuming we win :wink: ) and give Lennon and co. a run-out.
Having said that, since it makes sense, I dont expect the Swedish tosser to do it....
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

James P wrote: Of course it isn't though is it.

It's England v Trinidad & Tobago at the World Cup so I will be supporting England.

Hope we win 10-0

Come on England!

:stgeorge:

Perhaps not, but that doesn't stop the way I'm feeling about this game. I get the feeling you're not one of the "West Ham first, England second" fans. The older I get, the less I really care about England - yeah, it'd be great to see the country go bonkers celebrating a WC win - but I'd take a club trophy over an international trophy any day.
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

I always thought it hilarious that the theme tune of the England Brass Band is 'The Great Escape' - what's that all abahht?

Toot-toot-ta-toot-ta-toot-toot etc etc ad ininitum
I am law

Post by I am law »

A little along the lines of Gringo-H, my team would be

Robinson

Carragher - Rio - Terry - Cole

Lennon - Bex - Lump - Cole

Walcott

Crouch

(it seems that each of the "stars" that is missing from my line up is either still injured or not match fit - they can sit on the bench, to be called on if it is nil nil or worse at h-time).
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

3-0 England.

Shaka you will be forgiven your bad game.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Philosophical Dan wrote:
Perhaps not, but that doesn't stop the way I'm feeling about this game. I get the feeling you're not one of the "West Ham first, England second" fans. The older I get, the less I really care about England - yeah, it'd be great to see the country go bonkers celebrating a WC win - but I'd take a club trophy over an international trophy any day.
I'm West Ham first, England first actually. The two teams are completely separate entities playing in two complete different spheres of the game.

And once again I am forced to explain that there is no reason why you would ever have to choose between an international trophy or a domestic trophy. They are not mutually exclusive.
Herts Iron

Post by Herts Iron »

England 3-0

And Rooney is passed fit to play.
BonzoBonkers
Yellow card - abuse

Post by BonzoBonkers »

West Ham's Shaka Hislop has been passed fit to play against England in the World Cup after he shrugged off a thigh strain...........Hislop - whose heroics earned Trinidad & Tobago an unexpected point against Sweden last weekend - had been considered doubtful after sustaining the injury during training earlier in the week.
http://www.kumb.com/0506_story.php?id=11753

Was on our own forum all the time and there was me searching everywhere yesterday for news on Shaka and his injury.

Sorry i just can't help shouting for Shaka today...and England will have to beat Sweden ...i know Sven can't be trusted against his own country...but at the end of the day is our team who have to gel together and beat the best. I would not think Sven would have the audacity to pull an obvious stunt for England to screw up, he would be a marked man for the rest of his life.
Last edited by BonzoBonkers on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

3-1 to England

Sorry Shaka but I hope you have a crap game
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

BonzoBonkers wrote:West Ham's Shaka Hislop has been passed fit to play against England in the World Cup after he shrugged off a thigh strain...........Hislop - whose heroics earned Trinidad & Tobago an unexpected point against Sweden last weekend - had been considered doubtful after sustaining the injury during training earlier in the week.
http://www.kumb.com/0506_story.php?id=11753

Was on our own forum all the time and there was me searching everywhere yesterday for news on Shaka and his injury.

Sorry i just can't help shouting for Shaka today...and England will have to beat Sweden ...i know Sven can't be trusted against his own country...but at the end of the day is our team who have to gel together and beat the best. I would not think Sven would have the audacity to pull an obvious stunt for England to screw up, he would be a marked man for the rest of his life.

With you all the way BB. G'wan Shaka - get yourself a place in the history books (and endless pre-World Cup TV shows for the next 700 years).