Has he got the balls to dump Lumplard?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Italian Hammer wrote: amen to that.

Owen and Rooney would work (when fit).

Yeah, you're right. crouch would never score the winning goal, would he?

Anything involving Crouch won't. We just play CCC high-ball that only works in the CCC, not the world cup.
shreddie

Post by shreddie »

Coley wrote:He also needs to drop Beckham and play Lennon, as he has some energy and pace to bring into the team.
The man that has assisted both our goals in the world cup so far!?

What actually did Lennon do apart from beat a man and waste a cross??? No end product for my liking.
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

I thought Lampard was shocking. Definetly drop him. I'd play

Robinson

Neville Ferdinand Terry Cole

Lennon Beckham Cole
Gerrard

Rooney Owen

I know Owen's not fit yet, neither is Rooney, but they'll get there.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I strongly dislike Beckham, he's the only slow right midfielder in the world. But he keeps doing one good thing in a match, which leads to a goal. So currently he is undroppable.
Lennon is best used as a sub when the opposition is knackered, as shown today.
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I strongly dislike Beckham, he's the only slow right midfielder in the world. But he keeps doing one good thing in a match, which leads to a goal. So currently he is undroppable.
Lennon is best used as a sub when the opposition is knackered, as shown today.
That's a great point and perhaps that's the best way to use Lennon. It looks like he might need a little time to warm up into the game though. Maybe bring him on sooner?
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

if beckham had lennons pace,

or lennon had beckhams quality of delivery,

youd have a 100 million transfer deal somewhere

beckham is one of the best dead ball expert ever IMO,

and when we are producing nothing up front, beckham can put the ball down be it a free kick which he scores, a corner which he plants on terrys head etc, he is an expert,

lennon can beat his man easily, but wastes crosses as shown today,

beckham needs to be on til we are winning.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

However much I dislike Carrick...Fat Frank is awful at the moment and must be dropped, and Carrick is the only realistic replacement. IMO vs Sweden we should go (presuming Neville is out):

Robinson

Carragher - Terry - Ferdinand - A. Cole

Carrick

Beckham - Gerrard - J. Cole

Rooney - Owen

Yes I know Owen has been **** but Crouch is simply not international class and Owen is better against better sides, as he's proved in the past. Lennon should be brought off the bench whenever we're in trouble as he's our best option off the bench.
Fatty D

Post by Fatty D »

The point with Lampard playing in a more advanced role than Gerard is that he's there to score goals and if he's not doing that he should be dropped. How many chances did he miss yesterday?

I would much rather have Gerard as the attacking central midfielder and Hargreaves behind him cos I don't think Carrick can really tackle.
jacko

Post by jacko »

DagenhamHammer wrote:if beckham had lennons pace,

or lennon had beckhams quality of delivery,

youd have a 100 million transfer deal somewhere

beckham is one of the best dead ball expert ever IMO,

and when we are producing nothing up front, beckham can put the ball down be it a free kick which he scores, a corner which he plants on terrys head etc, he is an expert,

lennon can beat his man easily, but wastes crosses as shown today,

beckham needs to be on til we are winning.
that's all very well but he had a shocker yesterday. I know he created the goal but his free kicks and passing were generally poor
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

you say that though...

lennon ran at trinidad, he did that well..

but he got to the byline and i didnt see him make a cross that either didnt beat the first man, or was over hit??
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

Wouldn't surprise me if he dropped Lampard and Gerrard for the next match (but probably only the next match). They're both on yellow cards and if they get another against Sweden will miss the second round match.
jacko

Post by jacko »

DagenhamHammer wrote:you say that though...

lennon ran at trinidad, he did that well..

but he got to the byline and i didnt see him make a cross that either didnt beat the first man, or was over hit??
Apart from the one that Dwight Yorke handballed, you're right. But don't tell me he didn't make an impact on that game because he did.
DagenhamHammer

Post by DagenhamHammer »

he made an impact..

he scared trinidad and tobago, and did what most right wingers do, get right to the byline...

but as much as i rate the youngster.. theres no point in him getting to the byline if hes not gonna put in a decent ball.. and for that id rather a beckham who sits a little bit deeper and provides a good ball , as we know he can do.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

To be fair to Lennon when he got to the by line he was completely isolated.

Whereas Argentina, Holland or Italy would have offered a short pass for him to use to get into the area, England seemed happy to get Lennon into the corner of the pitch and leave them there to get on with it.

We need to play more like Argentina (obviously) and offer a number of options to the man with the ball at all times. It seems with England we have a set route to goal and once each player has played his part in the chain, they switch off and are no longer involved.

It's all about the midfield movement, and at the moment, it is severely lacking.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

The midfield play is truly pedestrian, it's like watching four men struggling through quicksand. While small teams have shown great endeavour, our side has demonstrated none of the forward runs and pace in their play that others have. For me it has to be:

Robbo

Carragher ---- Terry ----- Rio ------- Cole

Beckham ----- Gerrard ----- Carrick ---- Cole

Crouch ----- Rooney

Lumplard has to lose his place, as does Owen. This constant blind loyalty is the kind of thing that leads sides NOT to win tournaments. Frank has massively underachieved for England as of late and Owen is not in the game mentally or physically. Not only that, but SGE must realise that he has to get his team playing quicker football. This slow, hit and hope game, will soon be rumbled when it comes to the last 16.
Trevor_Morley

Post by Trevor_Morley »

Completely agree with the above comment... I think off the ball movement was very poor aswell and at the moment I can't see how we can beat Spain, Italy, or Argentina if we come across them. Luckily for England, most other teams have looked 'distinctly average' - as Simon cowell would say.
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

I thought the Sven hit upon something when he moved Beckham to right back to bring Lennon on. The problem seems to be accomodating both Lennon and Beckham in the same team and this is a good solution for use in the second half of a game.

I feel that Owen is getting a bad press which is unjustified, he has not had any decent ball to work with. The long ball up to Crouch is no good to Owen and with Lampard and Gerrard competing to 'bomb forward' this does him no favours either.

I feel the thing to do is to drop Crouch and bring back Rooney and try and get some decent ball into Owen. Maybe bringing in Carrick for Lampard, just for the Sweden match would be a good experiment. Carrick is a great user of the ball whereas Lampard's main aim is to work himself into a scoring position rather than anyone else.

Just a thought!
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Lampard's problem was too many square or passes back to Terry or Rio. Seems he has spent too long at Chelsea and has been possessed by the Ghost of Ray Wilkins.

For that game Sven should have played Rio at right back to bomb forward with Carragher as Centre Half.