England should start with formation

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

England should start with formation

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

What about

----------Neville/Carragher----Rio---Terry------------

Lennon--Beckham--Gerrard---J.Cole---A.Cole----

---------------Owen--------Rooney----------------------

I would have absolutely no qualms about dropping Lampard, as he is playing ***** beyond *****.

If we don't have players who can beat players then we will not beat the big teams. I would say that Lennon's pace means he can beat any player in the world, and the other teams left back MUST stay back or the perfect long balls over the top will be easy for Lennon to get to. Ashley Cole can obviously move backwards and forwards with pace, and Joe Cole will be happy drifting wide when necessary. If Joe and Beckham are in the middle then Gerrard will be able to drop back when necessary, and when attacking will have much more options to work with.

I thank you.
yabush

Post by yabush »

Just don't play Gerrard and Lampard together and stop playing Timmy
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

------------------robinson-------------------
neville-------terry------rio-----------cole
-----------------------carrick---------------
Becks---------------------------------cole
------------gerrard-------------------------
----------------------rooney---------------
----------------owen-----------------------

No neville
------------------robinson-------------------
------carrigher-----terry------rio----------
Becks-----------------------------------cole
---------------------carrick-----------------
------------gerrard-------------------------
---------rooney----------------cole--------
----------------owen-----------------------

I wouldnt play lamps either! Swap becks earlier if he is as unaffective as the other day!
Zman39
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Zman39 »

If you're playing a 3-5-2, you would definitely start Carragher over Neville in that respect to have 3 true central defenders. Also, adding to how poorly Lampard has been playing- did any1 else notice how many times Birchall from Port Vale got the better of him!!!!!!!!
Hate to say this b/c I like the guy, but Ashley Cole has not looked good at all also
Rob
Trying hard to get a tag

Post by Rob »

England playing 352 has been blatantly ****ing obvious for the last 4 years or so. No chance it's going to happen except for in the last 10 minutes when we're about to go out.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Re: England should start with formation

Post by simon hammer »

----------Carragher----Rio---Terry------------

----Lennon--Beckham---Gerrard--J.Cole----

----------------------Rooney---------------------

---------------Owen--------Crouch-------------

3-4-1-2...Full of attacking options with Cole and Lennon pushing forward to join Rooney and the front pair, plenty of pace and should be good to watch.
Ian Bishop

Post by Ian Bishop »

Three at the back... Doesn't seem the best of choices against Sweden. They play with wingers. Imagine Whilhelmsson attacking down the right. What do you do? You let him free or one of the defenders has challenge him? If he does so, you will leave one of Ljungberg, Larsson or Ibrahimovic virtually free, especially if you're stupid enough to have great tacklers such as Lennon and J.Cole on the flanks. It would mean whoever has to play as def midfielder (if anyone) will always have to cover the defense. Good luck...
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Ian Bishop wrote:Three at the back... Doesn't seem the best of choices against Sweden. They play with wingers. Imagine Whilhelmsson attacking down the right. What do you do? You let him free or one of the defenders has challenge him? If he does so, you will leave one of Ljungberg, Larsson or Ibrahimovic virtually free, especially if you're stupid enough to have great tacklers such as Lennon and J.Cole on the flanks. It would mean whoever has to play as def midfielder (if anyone) will always have to cover the defense. Good luck...
Good point, but it sounds like you're coming from a purely defensive point of view, whereas I'm coming from the 'We're gonna score one more than you' school of thought. Anyway, Brazil didn't win 5 World Cups by worrying about their defence, did they?
Ian Bishop

Post by Ian Bishop »

simon hammer wrote: Good point, but it sounds like you're coming from a purely defensive point of view, whereas I'm coming from the 'We're gonna score one more than you' school of thought. Anyway, Brazil didn't win 5 World Cups by worrying about their defence, did they?
In order to score, you have to win the ball somewhere.
Ian Bishop

Post by Ian Bishop »

By the way, I am not coming from a defensive point of view: I think that to score goals, you have to have a balance and stability in the team. People always say Brazil never cared much about defending, forgetting that they always have a mean man in front of the defense. Emerson this year, Dunga in 94... This wasn't so much of a necessity 40 years ago, but i fear it is now.
Argentina scored 6 goals with two defensive midfielders.