Plasterer or handyman?

Advertise your business or service to fellow KUMB members with this Forum.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RayleighHammer23

Plasterer or handyman?

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

Alright fellas,

This is more a general query. I have an artex ceiling of sorts in every room in my house and was wondering how much it would cost to have someone to come in and get rid of it.

We recently had a slight leak and a bit has come away from the side of the wall and ceiling and looks like it’s actually on some kind of wall paper material, is that a thing? Would it be just a case of peeling off the paper material meaning no plastering needed and it’s just a paint job. (I’m probably wishing that) or is it something else?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Re: Plasterer or handyman?

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Better off posting in the Snug mate. It might get moved but more people will see it in that time than on here!
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Plasterer or handyman?

Post by peter49uk »

As I see it it would be suck it and see situation regarding artex, but you may want to think about getting the artex checked for asbestos depending when it was put up.
From the internet...... Artex and health risks. Until the mid-1980s, the Artex coating was made with white asbestos to strengthen it. Therefore old Artex manufactured by Artex Ltd. will contain asbestos while Artex coatings applied after 2000 may or may not contain asbestos.
You could always leave it in situ and over-board it or get someone to do it for you and then to skim it over. But you have to be careful you don't hit wiring or pipework when putting new plaster boarding up.
Google "over-boarding a ceiling"