sunday's gossip includes west ham now updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's gossip includes west ham now updated

Post by cockney hammer »

news of the world

HAMMERS BACK FOR MAROUANE CHAMAKH
Matthew Upson may go to finance Bordeaux buy

WEST HAM will make another move for Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh this week but may have to sell Matthew Upson to finance the deal.

The Hammers had a £4.5million bid for the 25-year-old striker rejected by the French club last week.

Boss Gianfranco Zola may up his bid if Upson, 30, goes.

Aston Villa, Manchester City and Spurs are interested but not keen to match West Ham's £15m valuation.

the people

Cash woes could spell Upson exit

Matthew Upson has opened the door to a move away from West Ham by revealing that players are concerned about the club's financial plight.

The England defender, who scored in the Hammers' 2-0 win at Wolves yesterday, knows he may have to be sold to ease the Upton Park club's cashflow. And Upson, 30, became the first Hammers player to break cover and publicly admit money worries may force sales at the club, which is owned by liquidation-threatened Icelandic bank Straumur.

Predicament Upson said: "West Ham's financial predicament is quite well noted. Whether or not that means someone will have to be sold, I don't know - but I don't think the outlook is great financially.

"It hasn't been mentioned to me that we need to sell but if there was a situation where they accepted an offer and it was down to me whether I wanted to move, I would have to look at the club in question and make that decision."

Manchester City and Aston Villa have shown an interest in Upson, rated at £9million by the Hammers. But Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is desperate to snap up a central defender, with both Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King unfit.

Chelsea are ready to offer £25m plus full-back Jose Bosingwa to land Bayern Munich midfielder Franck Ribery. (Sunday Express)

Notts County director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson is hoping to persuade Pavel Nedved and Luis Figo to come out of retirement and join the League Two side. The former England boss is also hoping to sign Inter Milan's Patrick Vieira.
Full story: Mail on Sunday

Hull will smash their transfer record with a £12m swoop for Real Madrid forward Alvaro Negredo - their previous record was the £5m they spent on Jimmy Bullard. :shock:
News of the World

Tottenham are lining up a £10m bid for Celtic midfielder Scott Brown. (News of the World)

Arsenal are set to spend £6m on Real Madrid midfielder Rafael van der Vaart.
Mail on Sunday

Manchester City want to sign Tottenham's David Bentley, but they face competition from Everton - both clubs are ready to pay £9m for the winger. (Sunday Express)

City are also prepared to pay £5m to sign Sporting Lisbon's 15-year-old midfielder Tobias Figueredo, who is yet to make his debut for the Portuguese side.
News of the World

Aston Villa are weighing up a £7m move for Blackburn defender Stephen Warnock.
Mail on Sunday

West Ham defender Matthew Upson has admitted he might have to be sold to ease the club's financial uncertainty. The £10m-rated centre-back has been linked with Manchester City. (News of the World)

If the Hamnmers sell Upson it will pave the way for them to move for Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh.
: News of the World

West Ham are also in talks to sign Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen. (The Observer)

Liverpool striker Andriy Voronin is set to join Hertha Berlin in a £3m deal.
Full story: News of the World

Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko is wanted by Turkish side Fenerbahce on loan.
Full story: News of the World

Portsmouth have been asked by Lens to give bank guarantees showing they can stump up £4m to sign forward Aruna Dindane. Monaco, Hull, Stoke and Blackburn also want the striker.
News of the World

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano will receive a substantial wage increase after having his move to Barcelona blocked. (Sunday Express)

Fulham have offered their defender Brede Hangeland wages of £50,000 a week to try to prevent him leaving - with Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton and Aston Villa all waiting to pounce. (News of the World)

But the Gunners are closing in on a £12m deal for Hangeland, with Fulham eyeing up Hull's Michael Turner or Newcastle's Steven Taylor as a replacement. (Sunday Mirror)

Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas is likely to sign for Barcelona next summer when the Spanish giants hold elections for a new president. (News of the World)

Barcelona coach Josep Guardiola has ruled out singing Fabregas this season, saying the Spanish international will spend another year with the Gunners. (The Observer)

Portsmouth midfielder Niko Kranjcar insists he will leave the club at the end of the season - if he is not sold before that. (Sunday Express)

Newcastle are set to offload Fabricio Coloccini to Palermo, while Andy Caroll is wanted by Wolves and West Ham, Jonas Gutierrez is set to leave for a Greek club, and Steven Taylor and keeper Tim Krul are also on their way out. (News of the World)

The Magpies are hoping Real Zaragoza will harden their interest in central defender Coloccini, who is available for £4m. (Sunday Express)

Everton are considering making a new move for Newcastle defender Steven Taylor after having a £4m bid rejected. (Sunday Express)

Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie has accused Tottenham of tapping up Peter Crouch. Storrie is angry that Pompey were forced to accept a reduced fee of £9m after Crouch rejected moves to Fulham and Sunderland, who were willing to pay in excess of £10m.
News of the World

Former Sheffield United duo Craig Short and Booby Davison have emerged as dark horses for the vacant manager's job at Norwich. (Sunday Express)

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes gamesmanship and play-acting are "killing football".
News of the World

Manchester City new-boy Kolo Toure impressed manager Mark Hughes by insisting on training at 2000 BST on the night he signed from Arsenal. the defender said he did not want to miss two training days in succession. (Sunday Express)

Arsenal are eyeing Rafael van der Vaart, Tottenham could bid £10million for Scott Brown and Manchester United want Stoke's Ryan Shawcross back.

NEWS OF THE WORLD

Matthew Upson admits he may have to be sold to ease West Ham's financial difficulties.

Brede Hangeland has been offered £50,000-a-week to keep him at Fulham.

Mark Hughes is at war with David Moyes over his pursuit of Joleon Lescott.

Cesc Fabregas' return to Barcelona is likely to happen next summer when the Catalan club holds elections for a new president.

Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie has accused Tottenham of tapping up Peter Crouch. :lol:

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is set to launch a further cull of the club's playing staff.

Alvaro Negredo's representatives have agreed personal terms over a £12million switch to Hull.

Tottenham are lining up a £10million move for Celtic's Scott Brown.

West Ham are plotting a further move for Bordeaux's Marouane Chamakh.

Liverpool's Andriy Voronin finally looks set to join Hertha Berlin for £3million.

Portsmouth have been challenged to "show us the money" in their pursuit of Lens' Aruna Dindane.

Andriy Shevchenko is a loan target for Fenerbahce.

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Manchester City and Everton both want David Bentley.

Richard Dunne insists he wants to stay at Manchester City.

Everton boss David Moyes is considering a second move for Newcastle defender Steven Taylor.

Hamburg have offered £5million for Arsenal centre-half Philippe Senderos.

Sheffield Wednesday want Arsenal midfielder Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on loan.

Liam Rosenior will follow Stephen Hunt out of Reading.

Blackburn have turned down an offer from Aston Villa for Stephen Warnock.

Newcastle want Peter Lovenkrands back - just six weeks after releasing him.

THE PEOPLE

Sir Alex Ferguson is eyeing up a shock move to take Ryan Shawcross back to Old Trafford from Stoke.

Mark Hughes insists Manchester City's pursuit of Joleon Lescott is still on.

Matthew Upson has opened the door on a move away from West Ham.

Tottenham have not given up on landing Arjen Robben from Real Madrid.

Mike Ashley will take Newcastle off the market on Friday if no buyer matches his £100million asking price.

Sunderland want to tempt Tuncay Sanli from Middlesbrough.

Fulham are preparing a bid for Hull's Michael Turner.

Sheffield Wednesday want David Ngog on loan from Liverpool.

Leeds striker Tresor Kandol is wanted by Sven Goran Eriksson and Notts County.

Portsmouth are closing in on a deal for Lens striker Aruna Dindane.

Derby goalkeeper Roy Carroll could be joining Danish club Odense on a free transfer.

Peterborough's Tommy Williams is wanted by Watford, Middlesbrough and Leicester.

Southampton are set to swoop for Colchester's want-away midfielder Johnnie Jackson.

Preston hope to sign free agent Liam Miller this week.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Gianfranco Zola is threatening to walk out on West Ham.

Arsenal are set to land Brede Hangeland for £12million.

Sulaiman Al Fahim's takeover of Portsmouth will collapse in the next 24 hours.

Paul Scharner says he wants to quit Wigan.

Manchester United are bracing themselves for bids from Barcelona, AC Milan and Inter Milan for Nemanja Vidic.

Liverpool, Everton and Aston Villa all want Newcastle centre-back Steven Taylor.

Fabricio Coloccini is leaving Newcastle for Real Zaragoza in a £3million deal.

Everton are eyeing a £2million bid for Real Madrid midfielder Guti.

SUNDAY EXPRESS

Manchester City want to end David Bentley's Tottenham nightmare.

Javier Mascherano is poised for a big pay rise at Liverpool after seeing his dream move to Barcelona blocked.

THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

Barry Moat is set to become the new Newcastle owner within a few days - putting Alan Shearer back in the frame to be new manager.

Arsenal are eyeing a £6.5million deal for Rafael van der Vaart.
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rocky_Balboa

Re: sunday's gossip includes west ham

Post by Rocky_Balboa »

"Matthew Upson may go to finance Bordeaux buy"

f*** off!! Finance it with the Bellamy, Ferdinand, McCartney, Zamora etc. money!!

If we sell Upson we will have to buy another centre back. (Collins injury prone, Gabbidon injury prone, Tomkins 20 years old) And whoever we would buy he would not instantly settle in and replace what Upson gives to the team!!

Keep our best players and add to it and we will compete for a European place this season!!

AMBITION

:crest:
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Rocky_Balboa wrote:"Matthew Upson may go to finance Bordeaux buy"

f*** off!! Finance it with the Bellamy, Ferdinand, McCartney, Zamora etc. money!!

If we sell Upson we will have to buy another centre back. (Collins injury prone, Gabbidon injury prone, Tomkins 20 years old) And whoever we would buy he would not instantly settle in and replace what Upson gives to the team!!

Keep our best players and add to it and we will compete for a European place this season!!

AMBITION

Agree. Where the f*** did the money go from them players?!
I don't think this will happen and i don't think the author if this article does either when he says it 'may' happen. I hope we don't give up on Chamakh though...he's just what we need and it would be really dissapointed to see us fail and bring back DDM.
hamz

Post by hamz »

relax people, zola will only let upson go if a replacement is lined up, this is a nothing story
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

although i hope we've put in a second realistic bid.
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH.

Hopefully thoses articles are the usual press speculation. I get the impression we will only sell Upson if somebody makes an over the top offer.
B.H
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by B.H »

hamz wrote:relax people, zola will only let upson go if a replacement is lined up, this is a nothing story

I for one, believe that Upson could well be on his way. Regarding his replacement, we signed him this week, Kovac. On the face of it , he is cover for Parker, but is more than capable of playing centre back.
bobby moore lower

Post by bobby moore lower »

roll on the close of the window (after we get 2 strikers that is)
walneyhammer

Post by walneyhammer »

This story has been based on the quotes from Upson about the financial status of the club.

What else did you epect him to say ? If the same interviewer asked any one of us what the situation was, we'd all have to say the same - we don't know if anybody has to be sold, but we are aware that the financial situation is not great. Hardly a revelation is it ?

Had they have asked Nigel Quashie the same question, they'd have got much the same answer, but a story far less likely to sell newspapers !
Serbian Hammer

Post by Serbian Hammer »

Cheers CH :raver:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I like not this news.

Bring me some other news!

:wink:
Adi Cokers Boots

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Rocky_Balboa wrote:"Matthew Upson may go to finance Bordeaux buy"

AMBITION

We have no money to be ambitious do we? We've already been told that we have to sell to buy haven't we? The money made from previous sales has gone to pay back the loans BG took out to finance Upson, Parker, Dyer etc we've been told this by the CEO and told what this years transfer policy is, plus an extra statement to say this hasn't changed, so where does this money to be ambitious come from? Just curious.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

indiehammer wrote:Agree. Where the f*** did the money go from them players?!
Went on signing Ilunga, loan fees for DDM, Kovac, signing Savio, signing Kovac, buying a training ground and paying off debt.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: sunday's gossip includes west ham now updated

Post by AlfieG »

I wonder what the betting is that we will repeat the shenanigans of the last summer transfer window?

The manager goes public and says we are not selling any more players and then the club go and sell a couple more as the window closes. :think:

Watch out GZ! :shock:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham boss Zola: Fans must understand limited transfer budget

West Ham United boss Gianfranco Zola says he's prepared to work with a limited transfer budget - so long as fans understand the reality of the situation.

He told the Daily Mail: " We do have a tough job. We are not competing with Manchester City on a financial front but on the football pitch, you never know. Money is important but it’s not everything. Sometimes good work is done with passion, enthusiasm — presence can be as valuable as many millions of pounds. A job can be done.

"As long as the people realise the difficulties and understand that you cannot compete for the first five places. But if people back us, and everyone stays positive, and we believe in ourselves…

"I don’t think anybody at the club is interested in undermining us. We can’t cry about the financial problems the club have endured. I’m sure the club are trying hard to strengthen the team. I’m sure players will arrive before the transfer window closes. But, in the meantime, we have to make sure the players we have are ready. We have some good players. Some exciting young players."
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You see, we have to know what question Upson was answering, when he said that:

"West Ham's financial predicament is quite well noted. Whether or not that means someone will have to be sold, I don't know - but I don't think the outlook is great financially.

"It hasn't been mentioned to me that we need to sell but if there was a situation where they accepted an offer and it was down to me whether I wanted to move, I would have to look at the club in question and make that decision."

He makes it clear that he hasn't been told that we need to sell, even though the predicament is 'well noted' and 'not great'. He's also made it clear that no offer (from another club) has yet been brought to his attention.

Seems to me that the question was along the lines of 'Manchester City and Spurs are both a bit light on decent CB options, do you think you might get sold?'.
mokum hammer

Post by mokum hammer »

& these two contradictions as well from todays news

Gianfranco Zola To Quit West Ham United Over Financial Issues – Report

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/ ... -financial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham boss to ignore club's financial problems
http://www.tribalfootball.com/west-ham- ... ems-263529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kennet
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Kennet »

Ta CH :thup:
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

SSN linked us with Andy Carroll for 2.5 million, The only thing he seems to be able to do is head it. We don't play long balls and we don't get any crosses into the box, would be a bad buy for me.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

BPRIGGSC wrote:SSN linked us with Andy Carroll for 2.5 million, The only thing he seems to be able to do is head it. We don't play long balls and we don't get any crosses into the box, would be a bad buy for me.
I used to laugh at the thought of Andy Carroll. That was until he dominated Upson all game at SJP. If we can get him cheap he would a good back up for CC in this system.