sunday's gossip includes west ham now updated

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's gossip includes west ham now updated

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

West Ham striker Dean Ashton to announce retirement from football

Dean Ashton is set to announce his shock retirement from football.

The 26 year-old West Ham and England striker is suffering from a degenerative ankle problem. He travelled to Amsterdam three weeks ago for an assessment from leading Dutch surgeon Niek van Dijk and was warned he could end up wheelchair-bound if he carried on playing.

A Hammers spokesman said last night: “We can confirm Dean Ashton is unavailable for selection but we cannot comment any further."

Ashton, who has endured ankle problems since sustaining a fracture during an England training session in August 2006, has not been able to train or play since breaking down in manager Gianfranco Zola's first training session on September 15 last year.

Dutch surgeon Van Dijk originally operated on Ashton’s ankle after the England training ground accident with Shaun Wright-Phillips three years ago.

Following 11 months out the game the £7million signing from Norwich eventually returned to action and admitted he feared his career might have been over.

In June 2007 Ashton said: "At your low ppoints you think you're never going to play again and that is a horrible feeling. Anyone who tells you they don't feel like that would be lying."

However, the burly striker battled back to make 35 league and cup appearances and scored 11 goals.

But the worsening state of his ankle was already taking its toll.

Despite signing a new five-year contract, worth £50,000 a-week last summer, Ashton has now been sidelined for almost a year. He underwent further surgery on his ankle in February this year and underwent a course of rehabilitation with former West Ham physiotherapist John Green.
Green has worked with other long term casualties such as Kieron Dyer and Michael Owen.

Despite these sessions Ashton has suffered excruciating pain in his ankle, which is rapidly getting worse.

The club decided to take the intiative recently as Ashton’s condition showed no sign of subsiding.

They stopped Ashton’s consultations with Green and sent him with their medical team to see Van Dijk in Holland.

Van Dijk informed Ashton that he could perform high-risk surgery to alleviate the pain but that the striker had to accept his playing career was over.

West Ham are now in the process of lodging an insurance claim while negotiating a pay-off for Ashton.

Ashton and Darren Bosson, the player’s agent, were not available for comment.

news of the world

exclusive

DAVID GOLD'S HAMMER TIME

DAVID GOLD and David Sullivan will step up their bid to buy West Ham next week.

Gold and Sullivan have agreed the £80million sale of Birmingham to Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung.

Now that a £3m down-payment has been made it looks like that deal will go through, which frees Gold and Sullivan to move for the Hammers.

The pair once owned a 29.9 per cent stake in the club but have been in charge of Birmingham for the past 16 years.

Both men live near West Ham and declare themselves as fans - but are seeking a cut-price deal.

The pair value the club at £90m but in that any buyer would have to take over debts of nearly £50m, they should only have to pay £40m.

The club's ownership is in a state of flux following the collapse of former owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson's business empire.

The current owners, Icelandic asset management company CB Holdings, value West Ham at £120m.

news of the world

PARTY OVER FOR CARLTON COLE

CARLTON COLE believes calling time on his wild days could be the key to making England's World Cup squad.

The West Ham striker, 25, started for Fabio Capello in Holland earlier this month. And he said: "I am over that hill when it comes to partying now.

"I have realised that there are many things to enjoy in life other than going out and enjoying yourself with a load of women, even though everyone likes that.

"Football is my life and I want it to last forever. Even when I retire I still want to be involved in football."

His career hit a low with an arrest for drink-driving last year, and Cole added: "People around me helped, like when Franco (Zola) and Steve Clarke came on board. I wouldn't be in the England squad if I hadn't made the change."

sport
Barcelona & West Ham United Continue Gudjohnsen Negotiations
The Blaugrana will only let 'Guddy' move to Upton Park if they can land a midfielder of their own...

Eidur Gudjohnsen remains a priority target for West Ham United, but Barcelona are waiting on arrivals of their own before letting him go.

Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola is determined to link up with his old Chelsea team-mate, who is set for another season of limited opportunities at the Camp Nou.

However, according to Sport, Barca will only sell Gudjohnsen if they can bring in another central midfielder before the start of the season.

Pep Guardiola is concerned about the lack of depth in that position, and is not prepared to weaken his squad by selling before securing a replacement.

Another obstacle appears to be West Ham's limited funds, but it is believed that both clubs are close to a compromise, should Barca decide to sell Gudjohnsen on.

Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas is being considered by Aston Villa as a replacement for Gareth Barry, who moved to Manchester City earlier this summer.
News of the World

Burnley are to offer Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt a route back into the Premier League with a two-year deal at Turf Moor.
News of the World

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is ready to dip into the Championship again with a £3.5m bid for Bristol City midfielder Marvin Elliot. (News of the World)

Rafael Benitez's summer spending is over after being informed that there is no more money left for him after the capture of defender Sotiros Krygiakos. (The Mail on Sunday)

Everton and Blackburn face competition from Spanish side Sevilla in the chase for the signature of 24-year-old SK Brann winger Erik Huseklepp. (News of the World)

Leicester striker Matty Fryatt has come into the sights of Hull City manager Phil Brown as he looks to bolster his strikeforce. (News of the World)

Tottenham are weighing up moves for Celtic midfield pair Scott Brown and Aiden McGeady, with the Parkhead club valuing them at a total of £10m. (News of the World)

Striker Henri Camara, who has been without a club since leaving Wigan last season, could be snapped up by Portsmouth. (News of the World)

Everton are likely to report Manchester City to the Premier League over the persistent pursuit of defender Joleon Lescott. (The Mail on Sunday)

Chelsea are facing a Football Association investigation after a training ground friendly against United Arab Emirates side Al Hilal erupted into a mass brawl.
News of the World

Portsmouth have been forced to renegotiate payment to other clubs and agents with Sulaiman Al-Fahim's protracted takeover of the club still not finalised. (The Mail on Sunday)

David Gold and David Sullivan will attempt to buy West Ham after agreeing to the £80m sale of Birmingham City to Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung. (News of the World)

Arsenal are keen to improve the terms of midfielder Cesc Fabregas's current Emirates contract, worth around £90,000 a week, to ward off interest from Barcelona.
News of the World

Neighbours of Wayne Rooney and wife Coleen are unimpressed with the couple's redesigned home and gardens. The Prestbury property has their initials inlaid in the entrance hall's marble floor. (The Mail on Sunday)
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Serbian Hammer

Re: sunday's gossip includes west ham

Post by Serbian Hammer »

Cheers CH :raver:
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

if that's true about Ashton that really sucks, for us, but much more for him, no wonder the poor bloke was down, although he got slated by some on here for that. Doesn't look good for him or Calum :(
mansfields1964

Post by mansfields1964 »

The Mirror wrote: West Ham striker Dean Ashton to announce retirement from football
Well not much of a shock really. A tragic end for him and for us.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham's Calum Davenport May Have Leg Amputated After Stabbing Attack :shock:
The career of the West Ham man may come to a tragic end following the horrific stabbing attack yesterday…

Doctors are fighting to save the left leg of West Ham defender Calum Davenport after he was stabbed several times by thugs yesterday morning, while relatives have told Goal.com that he will never play football again.

The 26-year-old Davenport and his mother Kim, 49, were both attacked outside their homes in Springfield Avenue, Bedford at 5am yesterday morning. Calum was stabbed several times in both legs and was rushed to hospital along with his mother.

A main artery in Calum’s left leg was severed, causing him to lose pints of blood, and he was forced to undergo emergency surgery yesterday as doctors battled not only to save his leg but also his life.

There are still fears that Calum may have to have his left leg amputated, with the next 24-48 hours being crucial, while relatives have told Goal.com that the West Ham star “probably will never play football ever again”.

Goal.com sources have learned that the attackers deliberately targeted Davenport’s legs in an attempt to end his professional career. The motive for the attack is unclear, but it has been suggested that Calum was involved in a family row shortly before the incident and that he had told his sister Cara, 28, who was also at the house at the time of the attack, that he "didn’t like the crowd she was mixing with”.

Reminiscent of a gangster movie, there is currently a police guard outside the private hospital room Calum is being treated in. The ex-Coventry player’s mother is also in a “serious” condition in hospital with stomach wounds.

Two men are currently in police custody connected with the attack. A 19-year-old man and a 25-year-old man, the latter who has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Kinnell, Ashton and Davenport having to retire from football, Ashton due to that ankle and Davenport looking like he will have to have his left leg amputated ! How much will be get on the insurance for Ashton and Davenport ? Enough for us to do that Chamakh deal ?
West Ham Boy's Club

Post by West Ham Boy's Club »

Puff Daddy wrote:Kinnell, Ashton and Davenport having to retire from football, Ashton due to that ankle and Davenport looking like he will have to have his left leg amputated ! How much will be get on the insurance for Ashton and Davenport ? Enough for us to do that Chamakh deal ?
Show some sensitivity - Calum is in a serious condition in hospital and you're wondering how much money we'll get on the insurance. Christ...
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

To be fair, although its at an early stage im sure its crossed the minds of a few on here and it certainly would have done by those running our club.
West Ham Boy's Club

Post by West Ham Boy's Club »

derek zoolander wrote:To be fair, although its at an early stage im sure its crossed the minds of a few on here and it certainly would have done by those running our club.
Maybe you're right, but that doesn't mean we need to start harping on about insurance policies for a guy who's been stabbed in the legs in an attempt to ruin his career. It's heartless and shows a lack of dignity.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

:( , This is one depressing morning
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

way things are going it will be a even more depressing afternoon
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

cockney hammer wrote:way things are going it will be a even more depressing afternoon
A win for Calum & Deano today :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

[Show some sensitivity - Calum is in a serious condition in hospital and you're wondering how much money we'll get on the insurance. Christ...[/quote]

Think you might have got the wrong end of the stick mate. I had no intention in upsetting anybody but apologies if it offended you. I might add, I have seen many down right inflamatory posts directed at some people on here, which is something I will never resort to. My comment about the insurance claim is, however, a serious one, as we will receive compensation for all of this and I can't see anything to take offense about that
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

make you right puff
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

The insurance money hadn't crossed my mind at all. ****ing ghoulish. I guess I was thinking more about the misfortune that has befallen Dean, and the out-and-out diabolical senselessness of what has happened to Calum and his mum. Insurance money - ffs...
Cheers anyway CH, as ever.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Cheers CH :thup:

Even though its not a good read this morning.

Lets hope for better things this afternoon.
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

cockney hammer wrote:way things are going it will be a even more depressing afternoon
i fear yes as well... the grand prix is starting to look a more attractive watch
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Like I said i think its a fair enough question Mr Daddy.

People are very touchy on this website at the moment and that aint a direct dig at you WHBC, just a general theme i've noticed of late.

Thanks for all the gossip CH :thup:
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

A human may loose his life , may have his leg amputated, at the very best his career is ruined and people are querying whether the insurance payment will come through before the transfer window closes. I think we have the right to be touchy, its a classless enquiry
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

West Ham Boy's Club wrote:Maybe you're right, but that doesn't mean we need to start harping on about insurance policies for a guy who's been stabbed in the legs in an attempt to ruin his career. It's heartless and shows a lack of dignity.
You can't put a price on dignity, WHBC.

Its not for sale after all.