sunday's news 29th jan includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's news 29th jan includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

Hammers knock deal for Liverpool target on the head

West Ham have pulled out of a move for ­Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

The Hammers offered the Glasgow club £5.25million and a ­further £1m based on ­appearances for the ­17-goal Croatian, who arrived for £4m just 17 months ago.

Rangers were ­prepared to cash in, but Jelavic’s personal terms ­appeared to kill the deal.

Hammers ­co-chairman David Sullivan was disappointed that ­details of the offer were exaggerated and made public in ­Scotland.

They were leaked in an attempt to create an ­auction for Jelavic, who is rumoured to be a target for Premier League clubs Liverpool, Fulham, West Brom and QPR.

Jelavic, who is earning £24,000 a week at Ibrox, wanted in excess of £40,000 to play at Upton Park and around £60,000 if West Ham got promoted to the Premier League.

the mirror

EXCLUSIVE: Tomkins has no regrets staying with Hammers

James Tomkins has no regrets about turning his back on an early return to Premier League football.

At least three clubs, QPR, ­Newcastle and Tottenham, were in the hunt to sign the talented youngster during the ­current transfer window.

But Tomkins, 22, decided to stay put and claimed he could still fulfill his top flight ­ambitions by remaining at West Ham.

The subsequent reward for his loyalty was a lucrative new four-year contract at Upton Park and the defender said: “It is ­extremely flattering to attract the interest of other clubs but leaving West Ham is not something I have ever seriously ­considered.

“Naturally I want to play at the highest level and the Premier League is arguably the best in the world.

“But I want to do that in a West Ham shirt not playing for ­another club.

“I’m a local boy and have come through the ranks at the club and loyalty is a far bigger currency to me than money.

“I’m extremely ambitious and striving to be the best player that I can.

“I love it at West Ham and feel under manager Sam Allardyce I’m continuing to improve as a player.

“If I keep working hard hopefully I will continue to ­improve.” Another reason ­Tomkins was determined to stay was out a sense of responsibility after the Hammers were shocked to be ­relegated last season.

He explained: “It was a massive culture shock to drop down into the Championship following ­relegation last season.

“I was absolutely devastated but there was no denying we were bad last season.

“The league table doesn’t lie, does it?

“Naturally I felt a sense of ­responsibility to ensure we got back up at the first attempt and, in fairness to the other lads, they felt the same.

“So there was another reason I couldn’t consider leaving.

“It wouldn’t have been right with me joining another club when we were sitting at the top of the Championship and have a ­collective responsibility to get the club promoted.

“I was committed to doing that at the start of the season so I wasn’t going to complete half a job and then consider leaving.”

Tomkins feels the Hammers, who recently took over from a wobbly Southampton on top of the Championship after a solid first half of the season, are ­heading in the right direction under boss Allardyce.

“I enjoy working for the ­manager,” he added. “He’s very meticulous. He takes an active interest in everything you do on and off the pitch.

“I think there have been ­occasions when he’s taken some unfair stick over the way we have played. But it’s all well and good ­playing pretty attractive football but where did that get us last season?

“The Championship is very physical and there are times when the football isn’t pretty and you have to grind out results against sides that are happy to sit 11 men behind the ball and ­defend for their lives.

“Every game we play is like a cup final for our opponents, we are the one team everyone wants to beat.

“You have to adapt your game for any given circumstances and the manager is very good at doing that.

“We are on a hiding to nothing in this league. Everyone expects us to get promoted this season so it’s a no win situation for us.”

the star

WEST HAM BOSS SAM ALLARDYCE BACK FOR JORDAN RHODES

SAM ALLARDYCE has made a THIRD bid of £5million for Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes.

Allardyce has stepped up his attempts to sign the Scotland international and offered £4million plus a guaranteed £1m if the Hammers are promoted.

Rhodes, 21, is the top scorer in the country after firing in 26 goals for the Terriers and has been Allardyce’s No.1 target in this transfer window.

Allardyce is trying again for Rhodes after a £6m bid for Rangers’ Croatian star Nikica Jelavic was rejected.

the star

GOLD SET TO DITCH WEST HAM OLYMPIC SWITCH

WEST HAM are considering dumping plans to move to the Olympic Stadium by STAYING at Upton Park.

Hammers chiefs are said to be weighing up the merits of raising their current home’s capacity to 40,000.

Co-chairman David Gold is now believed to be keen on extending the famous old ground’s East Stand to boost home gates.

Championship club West Ham were named as the preferred bidders for the 60,000-capacity ground last year but the deal collapsed amid concerns over delays caused by a legal dispute with Spurs.

New bidders are being invited to tender for the venue (below) which will now remain in public ownership after the Games and be leased out with the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) paying for its transformation.

But Hammers chiefs are said to be considering pulling out of the second round of bidding, preferring to remain in the East End – a move that would delight their followers.

“We’re hopeful Sam Allardyce can take the club back to the Premier League and if we can stay at the Boleyn as well it’d be brilliant,” said a source.

“No way would West Ham fans want to move to a 60,000 stadium. It’d be a third empty most home games. Upping our present capacity to 40,000 would be just right.”

West Ham have until March 23 to tender again with the deadline for a decision set for May 21.
:raver:

talksport

Exclusive - Joorabchian: Tevez moving to West Ham is not possible

Kia Joorabchian has told talkSPORT that there is no possibility of Carlos Tevez joining West Ham on loan.

The 27-year-old Argentine striker is currently the subject of intense speculation about his future, with AC Milan, Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain all linked.

But his agent has revealed that a move to the Championship leaders is not on the agenda despite rumours suggesting a return to Upton Park could be close.
“That is one club that is very close to his heart but I think that would not be possible.”Kia Joorabchian

“He is a West Ham fanatic”, Joorabchian said. “That is one club that is very close to his heart but I think that would not be possible.

“First of all Carlos is in a different position at the moment. West Ham are top of the league in the Championship, they have a good squad, they have a different objective. They’re in a division that is fighting for promotion.

“It would be very difficult for Man City to want to loan him out because they would have to end up compensating a lot of the salary and why would they do that?”

west ham till i die

The Positive Psychological Aspect of Transfers

Naturally, all fans are anxious to see the club bring in quality players, improve the team and drive up performance. This anxiety has intensified since the two transfer windows were introduced, especially in the PL. At least in the Championship, there is still the loan system to fall back on for a period, after the window closes. This window has been incredibly frustrating for everyone and I really do believe that the club have not exactly helped themselves by under bidding for players, going in low and losing the early initiative. I accept that January is a difficult time to do deals and that you generally have to pay over the odds, but we know that from previous seasons. Surely, there are two interconnected points here. Firstly, get the majority of your business done in the summer and, secondly, only fall back on the January window if forced to by results or if a particularly good player becomes available.

Anyone who has read my blog posts will know that I am not a ‘Gollivan’ basher. I try to give a fair and even handed assessment, recognising when they do well (i.e. like in last January’s transfer window) and constructively criticising where I thnk it is merited (i.e. the fact that they needed to ‘pull it out of the bag’ last January, because they failed to do the business necessary the previous summer!). While maintaining that their approach to transfer business has hitherto not particularly helped us in this window, I also fully accept they have worked hard on the transfer front, but perhaps we might have had better results if they had worked differently. Of course, I do not exactly know, aside from the usual speculation, what our transfer budget actually is or what financial pressures they face. Is it £10M as has been stated? Although what many fans tend to forget is that most transfer deals are not straight cash up front, but an initial payment, followed by structured instalments over a specified period. So, £10m can stretch further than one would suppose if the deals are structured appropriately. Perhaps one of the problems with the Jelavic deal is that Rangers need the majority of the fee up front, which does not suit present West Ham’s purposes. Personally, I would have tried to tempt them with another player in part-exchange. Why not try to include both Piquionne and Faubert in the deal, especially if we can sign Snodgrass from Leeds Utd to play on the right-hand side of midfield?

The other alleged fact, which is admirable if true, is that the co-owners are putting up the transfer funds themselves, to avoid more debt being loaded on the club, that’s if the banks would even allow it to happen in the first place. In all probablity the club’s owners are neither ‘Gollivan’ nor the totally selfless ‘white knight’ saviours of the club. The truth is probably lies somewhere in the middle and that requires even handed analysis, not crude polemics and extreme black and white contrary views, which attempt to portray them as either ’altrustic saviours’ or ‘pantomine villans.’ In my view, there is no doubt they do have the best interests of the club at heart, that is why they bought the controlling stake in a club that even Tony Fernandes admitted was tottering on the brink of insolvency. However, although the short-term financial prospects were not great, there was no doubt that there were also real opportunities inherent in the commercial activities and expanded revenue potentially available via the OS move; as well as the receipts from the sale of Upton Park. Although reports would seem to indicate that the new OS procurement process renders those self same commercial opportunities far less attractive to the club, which is undoubtedly a problem for the owners and, potentially, the long-term development of the club. It remains to be seen whether the club and Newham Council can win key concessions that render the contract more attractive.

Anyway, I am also keen to see a couple of good quality additions, or even one excellent signing, because of the psychological lift it can give the playing staff and, indeed, the whole club. The current squad are doing the business. We are where we should be at this stage of the season, although we could realistically have been in a much stronger position but for a few unfortunate results. But I feel that the squad and the fans could do with a psychological lift to power us over the promotion finishing line in April/May. One of the best ways of doing that is bringing in new blood, fresh players and application. And the better the quality of the player(s) the better. It lifts he squad, increases competition and gives out clear a message about ambition. Do you remember the lift that Kevin Nolan’s signing gave everyone in the summer, do you remember the buzz that Dean Ashton’s signing created in January 2006 and older fans will recall the fanastic boost that the capture of Phil Parkes from QPR, gave us all, in 1979? Although the classic psychological boost was probably Ted Fenton’s signing of Vic Keeble from Newcastle Utd in 1957-58, a player who was the final peice in a jig saw that saw West Ham transformed from a very good team in to an excellent promotion winning side that also finished sixth in the old First Division the following season.

I would love to see us land a quality player to create something like the same psychological boost and, of course, improved quality in the squad. Belief is an important factors in sports psychology and I have the feeling that we may have suffered a little in that department this season, probably a residual hangover from last season’s struggles? Although we are exactly where we need to be in the league, you cannot escape the conclusion that this squad, man for man, is the strongest in the Championship and we rightly should be in more comfortable position at the top of the league, regardless of how surprising well Southampton have played. In terms of timing, this stage of the season is the perfect juncture to move up the gears and put the gas peddle to the floor. An excellent transfer deal or two might be just the way to help bring that about.

ps. I originally drafted this blog post early on Saturday, before I was aware that Braderz had broke the Tevez loan deal story. That would perfectly illustrate the positive transfer effect, and be a huge psychological boost for all connected with the club, in the crucial run-in to the season. A 75% match fit Tevez, initially, playing 45 minutes a game would be enough to have a massive positive impact in this league! Lets pray it happens. If it does not, lets hope that they have another transfer card concealed up their sleeve?

SJ. Chandos.

Liverpool's bid to swap £35m record signing Andy Carroll for Argentine striker Carlos Tevez has been turned down by Manchester City.
The Observer

Tevez's advisor Kia Joorabchian says there is no possibility that the 27-year-old will join Championship club West Ham on loan from Manchester City.
talkSPORT

However, Carroll, 23, could still be involved in a swap deal for Newcastle forward Demba Ba, 26.
Sunday Mirror

Liverpool are preparing a double swoop on the Bundesliga with moves for Werder Bremen winger Marko Marin, 22, and Borussia Dortmund striker Luca Barrios, 27.
The People

FA Cup hero Dirk Kuyt, 31, has been told he will not be allowed to leave Anfield during the January transfer window, after Italian sides Fiorentina and Roma expressed an interest in signing him.
Metro

Real Madrid are thinking of asking Chelsea to part company with Brazilian defender David Luiz, 24, in exchange for 28-year-old centre-back Pepe.
: Inside Futbol

Wolves are considering making loan moves for Newcastle forwards Leon Best, 25, and Peter Lovenkrands, 31.
Express & Star

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says he does not expect to sign anyone before the transfer window shuts.
: The Sun same old **** from redwanker

However, Wolfsburg striker Mario Mandzukic, 25, has emerged as a late transfer target for Spurs, as Redknapp looks to add more firepower to his squad.
: Metro

Philadelphia Union's Congo-born forward Danny Mwanga, 20, is on a 10-day trial with Aston Villa.
Philadelphia Inquirer

Everton defender Johnny Heitinga, 28, is wanted by Spanish side Real Mallorca.
: Sunday Mirror

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Hughes is keen on taking midfielder Danny Murphy, 34, from his old club Fulham.
Sky Sports

Jose Mourinho has decided to leave Real Madrid at the end of this season for a return to the Premier League.
Sunday Times (subscription required)

Mourinho is Manchester City's number one choice to replace ­Roberto Mancini, who is under pressure to land the title or face the boot. Sunday Mirror

Blackburn manager Steve Kean survived a plot to sack him by senior staff within the club.
The People

The Professional Footballers' Association will send a poster out to all 92 Premier League and Football League clubs to raise awareness of homophobia in the game.
Mail on Sunday

Equatorial Guinea midfielder Narcisse Ekanga has become a YouTube hit after a comical attempt to persuade the referee he was injured during their 2-1 win over Senegal.
Metro

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp aims to turn White Hart Lane into Depart Lane this week with the sales of Spurs stars Steven Pienaar, Sebastien Bassong, Giovani dos Santos, Roman Pavlyuchenko and Vedran Corluka. Pienaar and Bassong could join QPR for a combined fee of £6million, Giovani is set to join Villarreal for £6.5million, while £9.5m-rated Pavlyuchenko is wanted by Sunderland and Russian clubs Anzhi Makhachkala and Spartak Moscow.

Liverpool are chasing Germany’s exciting winger Marko Marin. The Werder Bremen star would cost around £18million. Tottenham and Inter Milan have also been linked.

Arsenal could follow Aston Villa’s plan to introduce a safe seating area at Villa Park by copying the scheme at the Emirates.

Trabzonspor striker Burak Yilmaz is angling for a transfer to Arsenal, although Ajax, CSKA Moscow and Rubin Kazan have already lodged £12million bids for the Turkey international.

Sunderland are eyeing Burnley’s England Under-21 striker Jay Rodriguez. The Clarets have valued him at £5million; Bolton and Everton are also interested.

Martin O’Neill is lining up a raid on Besiktas for striker Hugo Almeida as he looks to add more firepower to his Sunderland side. The 27-year-old Portugal international could arrive on loan for the rest of the season.

Wigan are set to accept a £4million bid for striker Hugo Rodallega in January rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, Sunderland and QPR have all been linked.

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson has played down reports he will try to sign Stuttgart striker Pavel Pogrebnyak before the transfer window closes.

Fulham are checking out FC Twente striker Luuk de Jong.

Wolves defender Jamie Reckord, 18, is joining Scunthorpe on loan for the rest of the season.

JOSE MOURINHO LINKED WITH RETURN
Reports claim Jose Mourinho will return to the Premier League next season.

REDKNAPP EXPECTS LITTLE BUSINESS
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp expects to do little business before the transfer window shuts.

ANCELOTTI WON'T CLOSE DOOR ON TEVEZ
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti says the club's pursuit of Carlos Tevez is over - for now.

AC MILAN END TEVEZ INTEREST - FOR NOW
AC Milan have put their pursuit of Man City's Carlos Tevez on hold until summer.

SUMMER DECISION ON HESKEY FUTURE
Alex McLeish will address the future of Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey in the summer.

HANNOVER CLOSE ON MAME BIRAM DIOUF
Manchester United have agreed to sell striker Mame Biram Diouf to Hannover 96.

IPSWICH AGREE RYAN STEVENSON DEAL
Ipswich have agreed a deal to sign Hearts midfielder Ryan Stevenson.

ROMAN BEDNAR JOINS BLACKPOOL
West Brom striker Roman Bednar has joined Blackpool on a free transfer.

RANGERS HOPING TO SIGN BROZEK
Rangers are hoping to beat the transfer deadline and secure the services of Pawel Brozek.

NICE MOVE FOR GRANDIN
Blackpool midfielder Elliot Grandin has joined Nice on a loan deal until the end of the season.

LEE COX SET FOR SWINDON TALKS
Inverness have accepted an offer from Swindon for midfielder Lee Cox.

JEWELL HOPING TO LAND WALLACE
Ipswich boss Paul Jewell says Falkirk have accepted his bid for Murray Wallace.

JOORABCHIAN: TEVEZ COULD STAY AT CITY
Carlos Tevez could stay at Manchester City until the end of the season, says Kia Joorabchian.

DE BRUYNE CHASE 'CLUB POLICY' - AVB
Andre Villas-Boas says Chelsea's pursuit of Kevin de Bruyne is down to "club policy".

MILAN SEAL MAXI LOPEZ DEAL
AC Milan's pursuit of Carlos Tevez appears to be at an end after they signed Maxi Lopez.

ALEX JOINS PSG FROM CHELSEA
Chelsea defender Alex has been unveiled by big-spending Paris Saint Germain.

DAVID DUNN EXTENDS BLACKBURN DEAL
David Dunn has signed a new contract with Blackburn until the summer of 2013.

HUGHES EYES MORE SIGNINGS
Mark Hughes wants more new faces at QPR before the transfer window shuts next week.

WEST BROM KEEN ON HUSZTI
West Brom boss Roy Hodgson is hopeful of concluding a deal to sign Szabolcs Huszti.

VENKY'S BLASTED BY SAMBA
Christopher Samba has continued to push for a move away from Blackburn.

McCOIST FINGERS CROSSED OVER JELAVIC
Ally McCoist is hopeful rather than confident Nikica Jelavic will be staying at Rangers.

FOREST MULL OVER NEW MORGAN BID
Nottingham Forest are considering a third bid from Leicester for centre-back Wes Morgan.

DOUBLE BOOST FOR INVERNESS
Inverness have extended captain Richie Foran's contract and signed Claude Gnakpa.

MacDONALD GETS NEW HEARTS DEAL
Hearts goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald has signed a new deal with the club.

CLINT DEMPSEY REVEALS CL DREAM
Fulham star Clint Dempsey has admitted his ambition to play in the Champions League.

NO RANGERS DEAL FOR UCHEBO
Rangers manager Ally McCoist has confirmed striker Michael Uchebo will not be moving to Ibrox.

LOWRY SIGNS FOR LIONS
Millwall have completed the permanent signing of Shane Lowry from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee.

DICKO JOINS BLACKPOOL ON LOAN
Wigan teenager Nouha Dicko has joined Blackpool on loan for the rest of the season.

AZ COMPLETE JOHANSSON SWOOP
AZ Alkmaar have completed the signing of teenageer Mattias Johansson from Swedish side Kalmar FF.

HOLLOWAY ISSUES MATT PHILLIPS WARNING
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway will only sell Matt Phillips if a top club comes knocking with the right offer.

SOUTHEND SIGN PAT BALDWIN
Southend have re-signed Pat Baldwin on a contract until the end of the season.

CUENCA PENS BARCA EXTENSION
Barcelona youngster Isaac Cuenca has agreed a contract extension with the Catalan giants.

GRAYSON CONFIRMS ALEX BRUCE INTEREST
Leeds boss Simon Grayson has confirmed LA Galaxy have enquired about Alex Bruce.

NEW DON HUGHES READY TO GO
Aberdeen's new signing Stephen Hughes has set his sights on a top-six finish.

CARROLL JOINS OLYMPIACOS
Olympiacos have signed former Northern Ireland goalkeeper Roy Carroll on an 18-month contract.

NO HOOPS PROGRESS ON MOLINA INTEREST
Neil Lennon claims Jorge Molina is one of several players he is having trouble in attracting to Celtic.

SOW MAKES FENERBAHCE SWITCH
Lille striker Moussa Sow has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Fenerbahce.

REAM UNFAZED BY CAHILL COMPARISONS
Bolton new boy Tim Ream is eager to prove himself in his own right.

BUTCHER HINTS AT COX MOVE
Inverness boss Terry Butcher has hinted Lee Cox will be sold to Swindon.

McINTYRE EYEING TRANSFER BOOST
Dunfermline manager Jim McIntyre is hoping he can sign experienced midfielder Stuart Duff.

BRUNT MAKES ROVERS LOAN MOVE
Tranmere manager Les Parry has swooped to sign striker Ryan Brunt on a one-month loan from Stoke.

LENNON DELIGHT AT GOODWIN DECISION
Danny Lennon says keeping Jim Goodwin at St Mirren is testament to the type of club he is trying to build.

DONS SIGN GUNNERS DEFENDER ON LOAN
AFC Wimbledon have completed the signing of Gavin Hoyte on a month's loan from Arsenal.

LONG MAKES ROCHDALE LOAN MOVE
Burnley defender Kevin Long has joined League One strugglers Rochdale on a one-month loan.

NEDUM ONUOHA JOINS QPR
QPR have completed the signing of defender Nedum Onuoha from Manchester City.

AC MILAN'S TEVEZ D-DAY LOOMS
AC Milan will make a final decision regarding the signing of forward Carlos Tevez on Friday.

AYRE: REDS HAVE MONEY TO SPEND
Managing director Ian Ayre says Liverpool have money to spend in the transfer window.

RODGERS SET TO SIGN NEW SWANS DEAL
Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has agreed in principle to a new three-year contract.

WILLIAN WOULD RELISH CHELSEA MOVE
Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Willian would relish the chance to join Chelsea this month.

BOLTON COMPLETE TIM REAM DEAL
Bolton have signed United States defender Tim Ream from the New York Red Bulls.

JASON ROBERTS MAKES READING MOVE
Jason Roberts has departed Blackburn to join Reading on an 18-month contract.

BILYALETDINOV SWIPE AT EVERTON
Spartak Moscow-bound Diniyar Bilyaletdinov has aimed a parting shot at Everton.

SEVILLA RULE OUT DOS SANTOS BID
Sevilla have ruled out the possibility of joining the race for Spurs' Giovani Dos Santos.

SYMONS SET FOR WALES ROLE
Kit Symons appears set to become part of Wales' manager Chris Coleman's backroom staff.

AGBONLAHOR NOT EYEING A MOVE
Gabriel Agbonlahor has warned anyone considering making a bid for him not to bother.

POYET LAUGHS OFF MICHAEL OWEN LINK
Gus Poyet has laughed off speculation linking Brighton with an ambitious move for Michael Owen.

INTER RULE OUT MOURINHO RETURN
Jose Mourinho won't return to Inter Milan any time soon, according to MD Ernesto Paolillo.

GOODWIN EXTENDS ST MIRREN DEAL
Jim Goodwin claims he resisted the "easy option" of moving to Hibs to sign a new deal at St Mirren.

JOHNSTON HOPES JELAVIC STAYS
Former Rangers forward Willie Johnston hopes the Ibrox club can keep Nikica Jelavic.

JOHN ROONEY SIGNS FOR ORLANDO
John Rooney has signed for Orlando City following his release by the New York Red Bulls.

BOSS BLASTS ABJECT CHAIRBOYS
A dejected Gary Waddock has deemed Wycombe's performance against Brentford as "unacceptable" after their 5-2 derby rout on Saturday.

POWELL COUNTING HIS BLESSINGS
Chris Powell was happy after a "tricky game" at Exeter saw Charlton win 1-0 to go nine points clear at the top of League One.

SLADE SAW 'PENALTY' FOR ORIENT
Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade felt his side were denied a "stonewall penalty" during their 1-0 home defeat to Colchester.

DERBY JOY DELIGHTS TURNER
Delighted Shrewsbury boss Graham Turner felt his side deserved their 2-0 derby triumph over local rivals Hereford at Edgar Street.

JOSE MOURINHO LINKED WITH RETURN
Reports claim Jose Mourinho will return to the Premier League next season.

WARD LAUDS 'POSITIVE' U'S
John Ward says his Colchester players atoned for last week's defeat to Chesterfield with a hard-earned 1-0 win at Leyton Orient.

BARCA LOSE GROUND AT THE TOP
Barcelona lost further ground on title rivals Real Madrid as they drew 0-0 with Villarreal.

LA ROUX NETS TWICE ON DEBUT
Nolan Roux bagged a brace on his Lille debut to seal a 3-0 victory against St Etienne.

IPSWICH AGREE RYAN STEVENSON DEAL
Ipswich have agreed a deal to sign Hearts midfielder Ryan Stevenson.

WENGER HAILS OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could feature for England at Euro 2012, says Arsene Wenger.

RODA JC STOP AZ'S SUMMIT BID
AZ Alkmaar missed the chance to reclaim top spot in the Eredivisie table as they lost 2-0 to Roda JC.

BISEVAC EARNS WIN FOR PSG
A review of the weekend's action so far in the French Ligue 1.

JUVENTUS EXTEND LEAD AT THE TOP
Juventus beat Udinese 2-1 to extend their lead at the top of Serie A to four points.

MORE WOE FOR EXCELSIOR
Heracles Almelo piled the misery on Excelsior with a convincing 3-0 victory.

NICE MOVE FOR GRANDIN
Blackpool midfielder Elliot Grandin has joined Nice on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Caley accept Swindon's Cox bid
Inverness have accepted an offer from Swindon for midfielder Lee Cox, with Terry Butcher admitting: "It looks like he will leave on Monday."

Ghana 2 Mali 0
Africa Cup of Nations Group D in Libreville.

REAL MADRID ENJOY LEAGUE RETURN
Real Madrid maintained their momentum in the Primera Division with a 3-1 victory over Real Zaragoza.

DE GRAAFSCHAP LEAVE WITH POINT
De Graafschap were left to rue their luck as they left NAC Breda with a 1-1 draw.

LATE SHOW BOOSTS LYON
Late goals from Bafetimbi Gomis and Alexandre Lacazette gave Lyon a 3-1 victory over Dijon.

West Ham are considering dumping plans to move to the Olympic Stadium by staying at Upton Park.

Sam Allardyce has made a third bid of £5million for Huddersfield striker Jordan Rhodes, after West Ham’s £6million bid for Rangers ace Nikica Jelavic was rejected.[/color]

Doncaster want to sign Peru left-back Jesus Rabanal, 27, from Universitario de Deportes.

Houston Dynamo are chasing West Ham winger Pablo Barrera, currently out on loan at Real Zaragoza.

Leicester have made a second bid for Stoke winger Ben Marshall.

Leeds are trying to beat Rangers in the race to sign Estonian right-back Enar Jaager.

Ken Bates has mocked Norwich for paying £2million for Leeds’ contract rebel Jonny Howson.

Simon Grayson has admitted his hopes of keeping £5million-rated winger Robert Snodgrass depend on Leeds clinching a Premier League return.

Chris Hughton wants Nottingham Forest midfielder Lewis McGugan to join his play-off mission at Birmingham.

Nigel Adkins is set to boost Southampton’s promotion challenge with the signing of Stoke defender Danny Collins on loan for the rest of the season.

Burnley will sign full-back Daniel Lafferty for £150,000 from Derry City after a successful trial.

Steve Coppell was only 24 hours away from being named as Republic of Ireland boss in 2008 – before Giovanni Trapattoni emerged as their No. 1 choice.

THE PEOPLE

Carlos Tevez has vowed not to quit football and will tough out his enforced return to Manchester City.

Mark Hughes is chasing a deadline-busting treble swoop for Tottenham duo Sebastien Bassong and Steven Pienaar and Wigan hit-man Hugo Rodallega.

MK Dons will pay Alan Smith just £2,000-a-week as he closes in on a loan move from Newcastle.

Andre Villas-Boas will make a move for Real Madrid bad boy Pepe in the summer - if the defender fails to repair his damaged relationship with the club.

Liverpool are poised to make a double Bundesliga swoop for Marko Marin and Luca Barrios.

Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is willing to go out on loan to another Premier League club.

Aston Villa midfielder Barry Bannan could be a shock mover before the transfer window closes.

Leicester are set to make a late move for Swindon striker Matt Ritchie who is also interesting Huddersfield and Reading.

Stoke contract rebel Ben Marshall is wanted on loan by Huddersfield.

Sheffield Wednesday are set to take Ferrie Bodde on loan from Swansea.

Bolton are set to sign Arsenal's Japanese winger Ryo Miyachi on loan.

Leeds won't allow Robert Snodgrass to follow Johnny Howson out of Elland Road.

Wolves are to make one final bid for Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

Portsmouth are ready to sell Jason Pearce and Joel Ward to Ipswich.

Southampton's hopes of landing Gary Hooper from Celtic have been boosted.

Blackburn are frantically trying to get rid of Mauro Formica to give Steve Kean money for new signings.

Fulham have been running checks on Wilson Eduardo.

Niko Kranjcar will be offered a move to france to get him in shape for Euro 2012.

West Ham are still trying to get Frederic Piquionne off their wage bill with him being touted to Wolves.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Manchester City have rejected an offer from Liverpool to swap Carlos Tevez for Andy Carroll.

Jose Mourinho is set to decide on his Real Madrid future - and that could spark interest from Manchester City.

Younes Kaboul is ready to sign a new four-year contract at Tottenham.

West Ham have pulled out of a move for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Dirk Kuyt has been told he won't be allowed to leave Liverpool after interest from Fiorentina and Roma.

Demba Ba will quit Newcastle in the summer with six Premier League clubs ready to meet his buy-out clause.

Nacer Chadli has opted to stay at FC Twente rather than join Fulham.

Stoke have failed in their bid to land Blackpool striker Matt Phillips.

James Beattie has turned down big-money deals to stay at Sheffield United.

Simon Grayson admits his hopes of hanging on to Robert Snodgrass depends on Leeds being promoted with Everton, West Brom, Wolves and Norwich all monitoring him.

Jeffrey Bruma does not want to return to Chelsea when his loan deal with Hamburg SV ends.

Everton defender Johnny Heitinga is wanted by Spanish side Real Mallorca.

Emile Heskey could still have a future at Aston Villa despite contract talks not starting.

Chris Hughton wants Lewis McGugan to bolster Birmingham's promotion bid.

Fulham's highly-rated teenager Pajtim Kasami is on the verge of joining Juventus.

SUNDAY EXPRESS

Carlos Tevez's move to Paris St Germain may not be dead.

SUNDAY MAIL

Celtic last night added to Rangers' transfer window woes by snatching Pawel Brozek from under their noses.

babe of the day

http://wopb.playboygirls.com/pic00131/p ... 1JP_11.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer110

Re: sunday's news 29th jan includes west ham

Post by Hammer110 »

Cheers CH
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Thanks CH

Let's hope the Daves see the light and stay at the Boleyn Ground :wink:
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Thanks CH

Let's hope the Daves see the light and stay at the Boleyn Ground :wink:

hear hear
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Cheers dude
:thup:
party iron

Post by party iron »

:thup: top botd
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Cheers CH! :crest:

Carroll for Tevez????
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cheers CH ~ but I still can't see us landing Rhodes with yet another jam tomorrow offer to Huddersfield. If they did not accept £4.5m, then they are not gonna acccept £5m
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

cheers CH :thup: Lets stay at the Boleyn
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH

Tomkins sounds like a sensible lad :thup:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Thanks CH ~
This was always on the cards with Jelavic - he engineered a move to Rangers and ,now he is doing it again and his only motivation is money.It's the way of the world unfortunately and we have to walk away from these type of players if we are to create a balance with sustainability.It can be argued that ,if they do the business ,they will get you promotion,stabilise your Prem status and then engineer their next move ,leaving you with a profit - but, more often than not, thay don't do the busines and suck the club for every penny.
My choice would be to take Rhodes or Sordell,along with Eder,dump Piq and see how the attacking options work with Cole and review at the end of the season.Jelavic would expect to be first choice, whilst Rhodes/Sordell/Eder/Baldock would all be,imo, prepared to wait for their chances.At the moment the back up options to Cole are non existant (Piq and Carew) and that is what we need, not a complete replacement,imo.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

Great article by young James....on his way to "proper" West Ham status. Good lad, about time some of our youngsters showed some spirit for the fight.

Captain material I feel...... :crest:
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:

It's good to be having some good news lately, Tomkins staying and remaining loyal, hopefully can be thought of for Captain in a coupl of seasons, thought that was a brilliant piece and he has gone up again in my estimation. And potentially staying at The Boleyn = good morning.
TomIrons

Post by TomIrons »

AMC1964 wrote:Great article by young James....on his way to "proper" West Ham status. Good lad, about time some of our youngsters showed some spirit for the fight.

Captain material I feel...... :crest:
Agreed!
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Cheers CH. Tonka really impresses me in that interview!
Los Martillos

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers mate. If we stay at the Boleyn, I for one will be celebrating. If we develop the East stand it will hopefully improve the atmosphere.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Much appreciated as always CH. :clap:

As others have said, a really good interview with Tomkins, he comes across really well, definitely a lad with his head screwed on the right way, as is so often the case with a lot of the Academy lads. Future captain of our club, definitely.

The merits and faults of Sam Allardyce are in constant debate on these boards, but the rise of Tomkins this season I think is a definite high-spot of his tenure so far - I get the impression he's helping nurture the lad, given him the responsibilty, and helping to hone him as a proper defender, with all that entails. I can't even imagine the useless AG and Upson last season in terms of negative feedback or lack of guidance for him - now it's great to see him forging a really useful pairing with Reid, and also no doubt learning from Faye about the no-nonsense stuff. Long may it continue.
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Thanks CH
Tomkins :thup:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

“Naturally I want to play at the highest level and the Premier League is arguably the best in the world.

“But I want to do that in a West Ham shirt not playing for ­another club.

“I’m a local boy and have come through the ranks at the club and loyalty is a far bigger currency to me than money.

It seems we produce very loyal players within our realms. Even when we got relegated in 2003, none of our home grown (and very talented to boot) players wanted to leave (I've put Defoe's nonsense down to being very young and ambitious and bad advice on top of that).
Before that, Rio was sold, and Frank would never have left if the board hadn't sacked Harry.

Good on Tompkins, Noble et al for staying where they want to play their football, even if it isn't in the bright lights of the premier league. The two Davids have made a statement to anyone still not convinced of their motives by hanging onto James when they could have easily been tempted by the millions that would have com e their way, and to top that they've given him a nice new contract. It is nice to see that it is not only the fans who love the club.

May our team always have that blend of players who have grown up within the heart of West Ham.
Last edited by kayahammer on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.