saturday's news 12th january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 12th january includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

WELCOME BACK, JOE ... Cole is one of four players Sam Allardyce has brought in already this month

Big Sam’s window pain

SAM ALLARDYCE has admitted he is facing the sack if he does not get his transfers right in the January window.

The West Ham boss reckons the club will have been offered THOUSANDS of players during the window he regards as a nightmare.

Allardyce, who takes his team to Sunderland today, revealed: “Mistakes cost you your job, don’t they?

“If I make mistakes in the transfer window and bring in players that fail, it costs me my job. It gets me the sack.”

West Ham’s joint chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan, chief executive Karren Brady, Allardyce, head of recruitment Martin Glover and club coaching staff started getting offered players once the clock hits midnight on December 31.

Allardyce explained: “I will be able to tell you exactly how many players West Ham have been offered when the window closes at the end of the month because I keep a note of everything.

“Right now I can tell you that it will run into the thousands but the window has always been out of control since it started 10 years ago. It has never been in control.

“It has never been an ideal situation in any way, shape or form during the season.

“It’s obviously a very disruptive time of the year, the back end of December and the beginning of January.

“I try very hard not to let the window use up all my time — I pass it all on to Martin — and he is panicking a bit at the moment because he can’t get any sleep at all.”

Most Premier League clubs now have a sophisticated scouting system so nothing is left to chance with players’ off-field activities as crucial as those on it in a bid to make sure the ‘right characters’ are signed.

Allardyce said: “It is not luck — you cannot rely on luck.

“You have got to rely on the information you can gather and try to make a calculated choice that this is the right one for you.

“In January you need to get in what you wanted at the beginning of the season.

“In the summer I wanted six players but, apart from Mohamed Diame, I didn’t get them for a variety of reasons.

“When we didn’t get any of those six targets we moved on to the next level and the next until we finally got what we got — which was still pretty good talent but they were not the targets we first had in mind.

“All clubs miss out because sometimes they do not know certain players are available to buy or they did not want to come. Then, as it goes on, people do become available and sometimes you take a player and then you get a player come back to you that you have been negotiating with and you kick yourself and think, ‘If I had just waited a few days longer’.”

So far this month, Allardyce has brought in Hammers old-boy Joe Cole from Liverpool and picked up Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh on loan.

But the Hammers boss reckons his worst miss in the transfer market was Bolton’s failure to sign Samuel Eto’o, who went on to become one of the game’s biggest stars.

He explained: “We could have got Eto’o for £6.5million from Mallorca but the chairman was too tight to pay at the time, even though I said there was a £20m player on a plate for him.”

The Cameroon striker eventually joined Barcelona and spent five successful years at the Nou Camp before joining Inter Milan.

He is now reputedly the world’s highest-paid footballer on an alleged £350,000 a week at Russian team Anzhi Makhachkala The Hammers’ main target in this window is a left-sided player and Allardyce confirmed the SunSport exclusive that he is chasing Blackburn’s Martin Olson.

Allardyce admitted: “We have made an enquiry... negotiations are ongoing at the moment.

“In terms of what we’re doing at the moment, we’re as active as everybody else.

“If there’s a player out there that we think can improve our squad, we’ll try and move on him.”

WELL HAPPY ... Brazil ace checks in

Wellington pulls on Hammers boots

BRAZILIAN striker Wellington Paulista has joined West Ham on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old hitman has signed from Cruzeiro for an initial six-month spell but the Hammers have an option to extend it to a three-year contract.

He becomes Sam Allardyce’s fourth signing of the January transfer window after Joe Cole, Sean Maguire and Marouane Chamakh.

Wellington said: “I think I can do my best here and I am coming to England to prove to everyone that I am one of the best strikers in Brazil and to get better and better.

“I am strong, I am a fighter and I can score with both feet. I run a lot on the pitch and I can play as either as first or second striker.

“The pressure will not be a problem for me because I am used to it from my time in Brazil, where the fans were really addicted to the club.

“The manager also put pressure on the players too, so it will be the same playing here.”

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan described Wellington as a ‘wildcard’ signing.

He said: “He is another exciting player to add to our squad and although he may not be that well known on these shores, he comes with an excellent track record in Brazil.

“His arrival is similar to some of the other ‘wildcard’ players we have signed before like in Demba Ba and Ilan.

“They both made significant contributions and if he can match their efforts he will be an excellent acquisition for West Ham United.”

Crem de la Prem

UPTON PARK is like an Oscars party today.

We have movie stars, catwalk models, a world icon, dozens of millionaires and the odd billionaire.

Our icon, David Beckham, missed Robin van Persie’s replay-earning goal for Man U. Did he leave to catch an early bus?

I thought the Hammers more than matched United and Joe Cole underlined how much a club loses when they are forced to sell a favourite son. Just like Arsenal and Van Persie, really.
Sunday, January 6

ON TV, I catch up with Joe Hart having his hair shampooed as if it were during a match.

If I were him I’d wash the ad right out of my hair. I can tell him that by the time he has been called Dan Druff 1,000 times he’s really going to have an itchy scalp.

Perhaps he can take it. I hope so because the product is going to profit more than he does. Remember Diamond Lights, Hoddle and Waddle? I rest my case!
Monday, January 7

BUY early, buy smart is our philosophy for the transfer window.

Having got Joe Cole and Marouane Chamakh, we try for a defender but our bid is rejected.

I remember at Birmingham we had to stand by, horrified, as we slid to the Championship after ruling out shopping in January 2006. David Sullivan and David Gold vowed then they would never again be caught with their shorts down.
Tuesday, January 8

LIONEL MESSI may only be 25 but his fourth consecutive award of the Ballon d’Or as World Player of the Year qualifies him as Old Goldenballs.

Spanish football has such a grip on the FIFA panel that no other league is represented — not even in the world team of the year.

This is not just a slap in the face for the Premier League, it’s a school of wet kippers.

Yet when it comes to watching on the telly, it’s to the Prem that easily the most turn. Viewers love the sweeping competitiveness of games in England.
Wednesday, January 9

MICHU, at £2million, could yet be the deal of the decade.

Finding bargain players in top-level football is often as unrewarding as panning for gold.

So buying an attacking midfielder from a small club in Spain and moulding him into the scorer of 16 goals halfway through the season is an amazingly creative piece of business.

Well done to the behind-the-scenes people at Swansea for that.

Tonight, Michu’s sole shot against Chelsea, a pinpoint winner, was the kind of goal Fernando Torres used to score when he was on a streak at Liverpool. It made him a £50million player. That’s enough to turn Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins cross-eyed.
Thursday, January 10

A NEWLY single Premier League director is going out to dinner tonight with a friend of a friend of mine on what, I guess, you’d call a blind date.

He calls me in a panic at lunchtime today saying he may have to cancel as a big sty has come up on his eye and it looks dreadful and he doesn’t want to put her off.

Don’t worry, I say. Just cover it up with your wallet and all will be fine and dandy!
Friday, January 11

THE FA offer of an £18,000-a-year contract hasn’t exactly caused our women’s international players to chain themselves to Buckingham Palace gates — but they aren’t happy.

Players’ union chief Gordon Taylor takes up rolling pins on their behalf, calling the offer “embarrassing”.

Some will doubt that in a year of domestic football their matches will see as many fans as tomorrow’s two Prem games.

I have a suggestion. Taylor should dig into his union’s coffers and pay the top girls a few thousand more.

Shoving off? Cole hopes to fight for his place - but West Ham want him out

Cole shovel: West Ham tell striker Carlton to find himself another club

Reading and Norwich eye hitman who is set to fall behind returning Andy Carroll and new signing Marouane Chamakh in Allardyce's pecking order

Carlton Cole is fuming after being told he can leave West Ham.

With on-loan Liverpool striker Andy Carroll soon to be fit again and having borrowed Marouane Chamakh from Arsenal for the rest of the season, Upton Park chiefs are ready to listen to offers for Cole.

The club are understood to have tried to convince his representatives that his future lies elsewhere.

But Cole remains determined to stay and fight for his place.

Hammers manager Sam Allardyce prefers both Chamakh and Carroll to Cole, who has scored twice in 19 games so far this season.

But Carroll has scored just once in 14 appearances for the east London club.

Chamakh scored two in four appearances for the Gunners this season - after managing one in 21 games in the previous campaign - and his departure was widely welcomed by Arsenal fans.

Reading and Norwich are both keen on Cole.

The former 29-year-old England striker moved to Upton Park from Chelsea after loan spells at Wolves, Charlton and Aston Villa.

Meanwhile, Allardyce has blasted the transfer-window system.

WEST HAM and Southampton have both made an enquiry to take Manchester City’s John Guidetti on loan,

The 20-year-old striker is wanted by Italians Fiorentina too, but City want him to gain Premier League experience.

Missed the boat: Allardyce regrets West Ham's failure to sign Michu
In coming: Paulista has signed for the Hammers

Big Sam rues missing Michu after Spanish ace slips through Hammers' grasp

Sam Allardyce 'burnt the ears' of West Ham's head of recruitment after missing out on Michu.

The Spanish star, a snip for Swansea at £2million, was on the club's radar in the summer but manager Allardyce was never told by assistant Martin Glover: 'You must sign this player.'

'I wish he had,' Allardyce said. 'You take your choices, but certainly on the basis of what he cost he would have been within our budget. Whether we wanted to take the risk was another matter. More often than not you want somebody with a bit of a Premier League record.'

That close call is one of many Allardyce has made throughout his career. But, as he detailed the difficulties of window shopping, he claimed it was not the most crushing.

'We could have got Samuel Eto'o for eight million euros from Majorca,' he revealed of his time at Bolton. 'But the chairman was too tight to pay at the time even though I said, "Here is a £20m player for you."'

Allardyce's ears are ringing at the moment, from all the calls made by agents during this transfer window and, by its finish, he predicts a staggering 1,000 tips will have been sent his way.

He denied that sifting through such a volume of prospective signings was akin to lucky dip but admitted the window was 'out of control'.

'It has never been an ideal situation in any way, shape or form,' he said. 'It's obviously a very disruptive time of the year.

'You can get lots of your players disrupted by the rumours that are circulating. Rumours you are going to buy a player – that you are not going to buy – but you have had given to you by an agent.

'Then the player you have already got in that position says, "Why are you trying to buy him to replace me?" That upsets them. So it is a really difficult period and we are all glad when it's over.

'Not many people remember the old system. It was 100 times better.'
Man of the moment: Michu has been a revelation at Swansea this year

Allardyce insisted it was Glover, rather than himself, who has sleepless nights during January but conceded he did feel pressure to get signings right.

'Mistakes cost you your job, don't they?' he said. 'If I make mistakes in the transfer window and bring in players that fail, it costs me my job. It gets me the sack.'

He added: 'You have got to rely on the information you can gather and try to make a calculated choice that this is the right one for you.

'You need to get in what you want at the beginning. In the summer, we didn’t get any of the six players we wanted to start with – apart from Mohamed Diame.

'So we moved onto the next level and the next until we finally got what we got – which was still pretty good talent but they were not the targets we first had, probably because we did not know they were available or they did not want to come then.

'Sometimes you take a player and then you get a player come back to you that you have been negotiating with and you kick yourself and think, "If I had just waited a few days longer."'

Point to prove: Brazilian striker Wellington Paulista
Recruitment drive: Wellington Paulista is West Ham's latest addition[/color

'm one of the best strikers in Brazil and I will prove it, says West Ham new-boy Paulista

West Ham have completed the loan signing of Brazilian forward Wellington Paulista from Cruzeiro.

The 29-year-old has signed for the Hammers on an initial six-month loan deal but the club have an option to extend that to a three-year contract.

Wellington has been linked with a move to Upton Park for a number of weeks and becomes Sam Allardyce's fourth signing of the January transfer window following the acquisitions of Joe Cole, Sean Maguire and Marouane Chamakh.

Wellington, who can play as a main striker or operate on either wing, will now be competing with Chamakh, Andy Carroll and Carlton Cole for a berth in West Ham's attack.

The Hammers have struggled to find goals from their forwards for much of the season with midfielders Kevin Nolan and Mark Noble leading the scoring charts with nine goals between them.

Allardyce will be hoping Wellington could be the answer to the lack of firepower, with the Brazilian having finished last season as Cruzeiro's top scorer with an impressive 27 goals.

Wellington said he has moved to West Ham to showcase his talents outside his home country and is not worried by the pressure of playing in the Barclays Premier League.

'I think I can do my best here and I am coming to England to prove to everyone that I am one of the best strikers in Brazil and to get better and better,' he told West Ham TV.

'I am strong, I am a fighter and I can score with both feet. I run a lot on the pitch and I can play as either as first or second striker.

'The pressure will not be a problem for me because I am used to it from my time in Brazil, where the fans were really addicted to the club. The manager also put pressure on the players too, so it will be the same playing here.'

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan labelled the signing of Wellington as a 'wildcard' but is sure he will be a hit at Upton Park.

'I'd like to welcome Wellington Paulista to east London and West Ham United,' Sullivan said.

'He is another exciting player to add to our squad and although he may not be that well known on these shores, he comes with an excellent track record in Brazil.

'His arrival is similar to some of the other 'wildcard' players we have signed before like in Demba Ba and Ilan.

'They both made significant contributions and if he can match their efforts he will be an excellent acquisition for West Ham United.'

SLEEPLESS SAM ALLARDYCE COUNTS TO 1,000

SAM ALLARDYCE has lifted the lid on the stress placed on Premier League managers during the transfer window as they labour under the warning: “Mistakes cost you your job.”

He also offered a glimpse into the scale of the extra work piled on during January, with the West Ham manager expecting to have 1,000 names put on his desk for consideration before the window closes at 11pm on January 31.

Every one of those leads has to be followed up for fear of missing out on the rough diamond that can add the extra sparkle to the side.

Allardyce yesterday completed the signing of 29-year-old Brazilian forward Wellington Paulista from Cruzeiro on a six-month loan but with an option to of a permanent deal. He is the Hammers’ fourth transfer-window signing following those of Joe Cole, Sean Maguire and Marouane Chamakh.

It has not stopped Allardyce and his staff from sleepless nights as he looks to paper over an injury crisis in order to build on the good work of the season so far.

Such is the extra demand that in some ways, the 90 minutes at Sunderland today will come as a blessed relief.

If I make mistakes in the transfer window and bring in players who fail, it gets me the sack

Sam Allardyce

“If I make mistakes in the transfer window and bring in players who fail, it gets me the sack,” said Allardyce. “You must rely on the information you can gather and try to make a calculated choice that is the right one for you.

“I pass everything on to Martin Glover, our head of recruitment. The chairman gets a whole load thrown at him as well. I would think we would touch 1,000 by the end of January.

“You try not to let it take up too much time but that’s why Martin is panicking at the moment. He cannot get any sleep. It’s a case of, ’Get on with that, research that and come back to me’.”

Needless to say, Allardyce is not a fan of restricting transfers to a set window during the season. “It has always been out of control since it started,” he said. “You can get lots of your players disrupted by the rumours that are circulating.”

Swansea have made a £7m bid for Blackpool winger Tom Ince, 20. The England Under-21 international is also a target for former club Liverpool.

talkSPORT

QPR have failed with a £7.3m offer for Rennes' French midfielder Yann M'Vila, 22. The Ligue 1 club are holding out for around £8.3m and M'Vila is keen to move to Loftus Road as long as the deal involves a release clause in the event of Rangers being relegated.

Le Parisien (French)

Chelsea are preparing a £22m bid to bring Real Madrid's former Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric, 27, back to England.

The Sun

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has ruled out signing former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, 34, who is currently at Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua, and insists the club will keep Brazilian forward Robinho, 28, until at least the end of the season.
Gazzetta dello Sport (Italian)

Tottenham could renew their interest in Shakhtar Donetsk's Brazilian striker Willian, 24, after the Ukrainian side beat Chelsea to sign Metalist Kharkiv's Brazilian forward Taison, 24.

Metro

Newcastle have opened talks with West Ham as they move for defender James Tomkins, 23.

talkSPORT

Reading and Norwich are considering moves for Carlton Cole after the striker, 29, was told he can leave West Ham.

Daily Mirror

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has ruled out the prospect of moves for Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott, 30, and Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker, 32.

Birmingham Mail

Birmingham's Serbia striker Nikola Zigic, 32, has turned down a move to Villarreal, with his agent claiming the target-man's wages are on a par with a Manchester United player.

Sky Sports

Sunderland are monitoring Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 22, who is out of contract in the summer but could move to the Stadium of Light for £2.5m in the January transfer window.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal have reportedly earmarked a January move for AC Milan utility man Urby Emanuelson, 26.

Caught Offside

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard says Luis Suarez is the best striker he has ever played alongside. "He is a fighter, and he doesn't like losing even in training. Luis ticks every box for me," Gerrard says.

Daily Mirror

Striker Wayne Rooney, 27, could return to the bench for Manchester United's match against Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday after missing four games with a knee injury.

: Daily Telegraph

Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini's homesickness and rumoured desire to leave the club is thought to revolve around the health of his wife, who has returned to Argentina and left the 30-year-old centre-back to look after their two children on Tyneside.

Daily Telegraph

Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez is the man Real Madrid's members want to replace Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu. Benitez, who started his career as a youth coach at the club, secured 21.4% of the vote, while Germany coach Joachim Low got 19.5%. Swansea's Michael Laudrup got 15.6% and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger secured 3.1%, while 21.2% are undecided.

Marca (Spanish)

Gary Bowyer, who took charge of Blackburn for Friday's 1-1 draw with Wolves, expects to return to his role as reserve team boss when Michael Appleton officially takes charge at Ewood Park.

Lancashire Evening Telegraph

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce admits he "burnt the ears" of head of recruitment Martin Glover after missing out on Swansea's Spanish striker Michu, who has scored 16 goals this season, in the summer.

Daily Mail

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard insists he will celebrate - and not confess to the referee - if he scores with his hand against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Daily Mirror

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has been fined again - but this time by traffic wardens after parking his camouflaged Bentley on double yellow lines in the centre of Manchester.

Manchester Evening News

babe of the day

http://www.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery/20 ... cs_49_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sterling

Re: saturday's news 12th january includes west ham

Post by Sterling »

Thanks CH!

So we are going to replace CFC who is committed to WHU, with a load of loan forwards?
Doesn't make total sense to me, I'd want to keep Carlton, at least until the summer
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

Thank you CH,

Been on this site a long time not as a member, but felt it was time to post a thank you to you for all your hard work everyday.

Cheers mate!!! :crest:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Cheers CH- I don't often say thanks to you for doing all of this but I always think it!

You're a top man.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Cheers CH.

Can't see the sense of offing Carlton a loyal club servant, particularly with Carroll still not fit, Chamakh still to prove his credentials in the PL and Wellington a complete unknown, think it might just be paper talk especially after what SA said about Cole being a beacon etc in the Standard.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers CH.

Really hope Carlton stays.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cheers CH ~ So Carlton has been given the order of the Wellington then ?
bengaliron
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by bengaliron »

Thanks a lot CH. Great work as ever.

That Mirror story about CC leaving sounds like utter Bullocks. They also suggest we are after a loan which is impossible as we have two already. Total agents bullsht.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
jacko67

Post by jacko67 »

Thanks CH your efforts are much apprieciated :crest:
tonka_tonka

Post by tonka_tonka »

thanks ch ..top job
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

thanks CH
Dicks' Thunderbolt

Post by Dicks' Thunderbolt »

Cheers CH top stuff. Looks like BOTD has eaten all her greens,lovely.

On a personal level I don't want to see 'King Cole' leave because he loves the club so much and he has stuck with us through thick and thin and he really wants to fight for his place.................but
On the other hand from a business point of view,where getting relegated or not finishing high in the league costs points which equals ££££! I think we have to let him leave so that we can get some cash for him as I think he is passed his sell by date and offers nothing that Carroll or Chamackh don't. If you were honest with yourself you would admit he is very frustrating to watch and may only produce 1 good performance in 10.

Out with the old in with the new because times they are a changin'

:crest:
west ham morgan
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by west ham morgan »

Cheers CH - as a few above I read every day but have never said thanks for putting the news together!

Surely Carlton could be offered a day with a heavy pay per play aspect? Somebody happy to sit on the bench and be a squad player is exactly what we need.

Can't see Carroll or Chamakh being too happy on the bench.
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers mate - great work!

:thup:
Tommy B

Post by Tommy B »

Cheers ch. the interesting quote there is big Sam getting just 1 of his six summer transfer targets. I'm sure that happens to most managers when shopping in the transfer market but it's strange he admitted it. Wonder how it makes the likes of Jarvis and Caroll feel ( probably not bothered). Refreshing honest from a Pl manager.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Sir Alex Ferguson fears Manchester United could fall victim to Luis Suarez's dirty tricks when Liverpool visit Old Trafford on Sunday.
Steven Gerrard has insisted he will celebrate if he scores a handball winner for Liverpool at Old Trafford.
One of Arsenal's biggest fans' groups feels it is time for Arsene Wenger to change its approach or leave.
QPR manager Harry Redknapp is preparing a £4million move for West Brom's Peter Odemwingie. Redknapp, meanwhile, has admitted he was sacked by Spurs after becoming a victim of politics.

Carlton Cole is fuming after being told he can leave West Ham.
Sunderland are closing in on Toulouse's £2.5million French midfielder Moussa Sissoko.
Southampton and West Ham have both made an enquiry to take Manchester City's John Guidetti on loan.
Rafael Benitez has claimed Chelsea fans will fall back in love with Fernando Torres.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis is stunned Manchester City and Arsenal failed to rival Chelsea for Demba Ba's signature.
Leon Osman will celebrate the 10th anniversary of his Everton debut by signing a new three-year contract with the club.
Fabricio Coloccini will captain Newcastle at Norwich on Saturday - despite asking to quit the club because of personal reasons.

West Ham will be offered an eye-watering 1,000 players over the course of this January transfer window, which Sam Allardyce has slammed as "out of control".

Daily Star

Sir Alex Ferguson reckons old rivals Liverpool face an uphill battle to get back to the top of English football.
Rafael Benitez has leapt to Chelsea striker Fernando Torres' defence - because he has been battling on despite a stomach bug.
Fabricio Coloccini could play his last game for Newcastle at Norwich on Saturday.
Roberto Mancini fears Carlos Tevez could end up walking out on Manchester City for nothing at the end of next season.
Arsene Wenger expects Theo Walcott to sign his near £90,000-a-week new contract at Arsenal before the transfer window shuts.
Martin Jol has told Brede Hangeland to hurry up and sign a new contract at Fulham.
Harry Redknapp insists Tottenham axed him for political not football reasons.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis insists he feels vindicated following his attempt to sign Demba Ba two years ago.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has slammed the January transfer window - revealing he will field 1,000 calls from agents this month.
Paul Lambert has told Aston Villa fans to stop dreaming of big-name arrivals this month after admitting they can only afford to shop for bargains.

Daily Mail

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has expressed his fears that the antics of Luis Suarez could prompt referee Howard Webb to give Liverpool crucial decisions in Sunday's Premier League clash at Old Trafford.
The chairman of the Referees Association and his predecessor have resigned in an expenses scandal.
Arsene Wenger has backed Theo Walcott to go from strength to strength after confirming the Arsenal striker is close to signing a new contract.
Harry Redknapp says he still has no idea why Tottenham sacked him.
Newcastle are facing a battle to hold on to talismanic captain Fabricio Coloccini after he told the club he wants to return to Argentina.
Rafael Benitez has hit back at the Chelsea critics who call for his head.
QPR want West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie and have offered £7.5million for Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila.
Everton are keen on 6ft 5in South Korea international striker Kim-Shin Wook of Ulsan Hyundai.
Sunderland are close to signing French star Moussa Sissoko, 23, in a £3.5million deal from Toulouse.
Nottingham Forest and Bolton want Dedryck Boyata on loan from Manchester City.

Daily Express

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has urged the club's hierarchy to consider a new contract for their one-time rebel striker Carlos Tevez.
Unsettled captain Fabricio Coloccini is set to lead Newcastle on Saturday despite growing doubt about his future.
Arsene Wenger had a beam on his face on Friday with Theo Walcott set to sign a new £90,000-a-week deal with Arsenal by the end of the month.
Chelsea will make a £25million summer move to rescue Luka Modric from his Real Madrid nightmare, and finally get the man they have been chasing for more than two years.
Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill is set to agree a loan deal for controversial defender Abdou Kader Mangane of Al-Hilal.
Paul Lambert says Aston Villa fans are in dreamland if they think the club can afford star names to dig them out of yet another crisis.
Swansea have told Real Betis they will not be held to ransom over Jose Canas.

The Sun

Liverpool's Luis Suarez will quit the Premier League if people keep having a go at him.
Wayne Rooney has handed Manchester United a boost ahead of their crunch match against Liverpool by returning to training.
Steven Gerrard says Liverpool team-mate Luis Suarez is the best striker he has ever played with: "Van Persie is a top player and I love watching him, but Luis is the best centre-forward I've played with."
Chelsea are ready for another crack at landing Luka Modric. Blues owner Roman Abramovich will dangle £22m in front of Real Madrid to land the midfielder.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp believes his shock summer sacking by Tottenham had nothing to do with football.
Cardiff's Rob Earnshaw is being linked with Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday.
Cardiff boss Malky Mackay plans to loan out Stephen McPhail.
Daniel Carrico had to Google Reading before he joined them - as he had no idea where it was.

Daily Telegraph

Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool captain, fears a culture of ageism is infiltrating English football, with experienced players being discarded because of a growing obsession with investing solely in youth.
Harry Redknapp says he was sacked by Tottenham for "political" reasons rather than results.

Independent

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has risked breaching Football Association rules governing discussion of officials before games, having been drawn into a debate about Luis Suarez which was initiated by Sir Alex Ferguson.
Roberto Mancini, the Manchester City manager, has raised the prospect of a 12-month contract extension for Carlos Tevez - an extraordinary turnaround for a player who was in an outright state of civil war with the club just a year ago.

The Guardian

Premier League clubs are expected to consider a range of proposals, including a suggestion that all 20 offer free coach travel to away supporters for every match, against a backdrop of growing outrage from fans over the price of away tickets.
Rafael Benitez has launched a resolute defence of Fernando Torres after the striker was booed off the pitch during Chelsea's defeat against Swansea, insisting the supporters "will love him again" when his form improves.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday expressed his fears that the antics of Luis Suarez could prompt referee Howard Webb to give Liverpool crucial decisions in tomorrow's Premier League clash at Old Trafford. Read more...

THE SUN

Luis Suarez will quit the Premier League if people keep having a go at him.

Wayne Rooney has handed Manchester United a boost ahead of their crunch match against Liverpool by returning to training.
DAILY MIRROR

Sir Alex Ferguson fears Manchester United could fall victim to Luis Suarez's dirty tricks tomorrow.

Steven Gerrard has insisted he will celebrate if he scores a handball winner for Liverpool at Old Trafford.
DAILY STAR

Sir Alex Ferguson reckons old rivals Liverpool face an uphill battle to get back to the top of English football.

Fabricio Coloccini could play his last-ever game for Newcastle at Norwich today.

DAILY EXPRESS

Sir Alex Ferguson fears Manchester United could fall victim to Luis Suarez's controversial antics at Old Trafford tomorrow.

THE GUARDIAN

Premier League clubs are expected to consider a range of proposals, including suggestion that all 20 offer free coach travel to away supporters for every match, against a backdrop of growing outrage from fans over the price of away tickets.

Rafael Benitez has launched a resolute defence of Fernando Torres after the striker was booed off the pitch during Chelsea's defeat against Swansea City, insisting the supporters 'will love him again' when his form improves.

DAILY TELEGRAPH

Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool captain, fears a culture of ageism is infiltrating English football, with experienced players being discarded because of a growing obsession with investing solely in youth.

Harry Redknapp says he was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur for 'political' reasons rather than results.

THE INDEPENDENT

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers yesterday risked breaching Football Association rules governing discussion of officials before games, having been drawn into a debate about Luis Suarez which was initiated by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Roberto Mancini, the Manchester City manager, has raised the prospect of a 12-month contract extension for Carlos Tevez - an extraordinary turnaround for a player who was in an outright state of civil war with the club just a year ago.

THE TIMES

Sir Alex Ferguson fears that Manchester United may suffer at the hands of Luis Suarez when they play Liverpool tomorrow, describing the striker as 'laden with controversy'.

Andre Villas-Boas, the Tottenham Hotspur head coach, believes that his side are reaping the benefits of enduring the stuttering start to the Barclays Premier League season that left the Portuguese facing speculation that he could be sacked, weeks after replacing Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane in July.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

evening standard

Allardyce expecting busy month for West Ham

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce believes the club will have to contend with more than a thousand calls in the transfer window as they clinched the loan signing of Brazilian forward Wellington Paulista from Cruzeiro.

The 29-year-old has signed for the Hammers on an initial six-month loan deal but the club have an option to extend that to a three-year contract.

Wellington had been linked with a move to Upton Park for a number of weeks and becomes Allardyce's fourth signing of the January transfer window following the acquisitions of Joe Cole, Sean Maguire and Marouane Chamakh.

This year marks a decade since the transfer window was introduced as an alternative to being free to buy and sell players throughout the season.

When asked if he could estimate how many calls he would receive throughout the month Allardyce said: "I can do it at the end of January because I pass everything on to Martin Glover, our head of recruitment, and the chairman gets a whole load thrown at him as well.

"He passes them on to us. At the end of the window Martin will sit down and tot up and say we have had thousands of contacts probably. I would think we would touch 1000 by the end of January."

Transfer rumours are a constant whilst the window is open, with some reported deals well off the mark.

Allardyce highlighted Inter Milan midfielder Wesley Sneijder's link to QPR as an example of an unlikely move, but admitted he has secured players in the past who many felt were unobtainable.

"I got offered Youri Djorkaeff once (at Bolton) and everyone said I wouldn't get him so I went and did so just to shut everybody up and he kept us up that year," he said.

"As wacky as it might sound you never know. I would have thought Sneijder for us and for Harry (QPR manager Harry Redknapp) would be way out of our wage league as good a player as he might be and he would not want to come anyway I suppose."

But the sheer number of players offered also means genuine talent can slip through the net, as Allardyce saw first hand during his spell as Bolton boss.

"We could have got (Samuel) Eto'o for 8million euros from Majorca," he said.

"But the chairman was too tight to pay at the time even though I said here was a £20million player for you - Samuel Eto'o."

There have been calls ever since the introduction of the window to abolish it and Allardyce admits he is not a fan of the current set up.

"Not many people remember the old system," he said. "It is a distant memory so you cannot tell people now as much as you could before how much better that system was than this one. It was 100 times better.

"It has always been out of control since it started. It has never been in control at all.

"It has never been an ideal situation in any way, shape or form during the season. It's obviously a very disruptive time of the year, the back end of December and beginning of January."
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks CH sterling work again . BOTD Phoarr!!

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers yesterday risked breaching Football Association rules governing discussion of officials before games, having been drawn into a debate about Luis Suarez which was initiated by Sir Alex Ferguson.

THE TIMES

Sir Alex Ferguson fears that Manchester United may suffer at the hands of Luis Suarez when they play Liverpool tomorrow, describing the striker as 'laden with controversy'.

Got to hand it to Taggart, he is the daddy of them all when it comes to mind games. :D