sunday's news 29th december includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: sunday's news 29th december includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

On target: Modibo Maiga scored West Ham's second as they drew 3-3 with West Brom on Saturday

Modibo Maiga believes only minor tweaks are needed to revive beleaguered Hammers

Modibo Maiga has tipped West Ham to find some form and believes only minor tweaks will revive the beleaguered Hammers.

Maiga was introduced at the beginning of the second half against West Brom on Saturday and sparked the hosts’ comeback with a low strike from the edge of the box.

But Saido Berahino equalised for the Baggies to ensure the points were shared and leave West Ham languishing in 19th heading into the new year.

Despite their lowly league position, the Mali international maintains that various slight changes will offer a massive difference in terms of results.

"I think overall there's not much wrong, perhaps a slight lacking in confidence," he said.

"The only solution is to work hard. Hard work and then, ultimately, we'll see how it goes. We'll carry on working hard and I believe it's just the small things that are missing right now - but we'll be OK."

Sam Allardyce’s men missed the chance to clamber out of the bottom three in Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off, but Maiga insisted every point accrued is crucial.

"It is true that we're all disappointed [to draw],"

"It was a tough game physically. Though we're disappointed, the most important thing now is to pick ourselves up for the next game, so that things turn in our favour.

"Every point is important and the most important thing on Saturday was not to lose. We've got to try to continue to play as we did in the second half."
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham struggle to draw with West Brom in surprise thriller, 3-3

I don’t know what happened to my match write-up but it’s decided to disappear. For a recap of the game itself,
It’s official: West Ham have less points at the half-way point in the Premier League than they did under Grant’s reign during the 2010/11 season. If that’s not deeply concerning then I don’t know what is.

Big Sam: “Like I said, I can’t be too critical of the back four because I have a back four that shouldn’t be playing as a back four with full-backs at centre-half. It has to be like that for this moment in time.”

Big Sam: “Because of our injury problems we’ve started to concede goals and we will continue to concede goals if we have to play people out of position in defence. It is just a necessity at the moment because we are coping with six or seven injured and it’s a massive problem for us”

Nolan yesterday: 1 Goal, 2 Assists, 1 Shot Off Target, 1 Shot Blocked, 16/21 Passes Completed, Won Possession 4 times, Blocked 1 Shot.

Noble yesterday: Passes Completed 47/53, Won Possession 10 times, Created 1 Chance, Had 3 Shots all Off Target

As I expected, Allardyce’s decision to drop Adrian backfired spectacularly. Jussi was sloppy in his handling and often looked afraid of the ball. He was lucky not to be beaten by a free-kick once again as he failed to even move before the ball cannoned off the post. Inconsistent keeper selection is often a feature of a relegated side so Big Sam needs to put Adrian back in the starting XI and leave him there.

It would be a real travesty if we were to keep Carlton Cole at the club instead of Maiga this January. The latter is much younger, fitter as well as being equally apt in the air. His impressive performance was capped with his first Premier League goal of the season today.

At least Joe Cole proved he could still play football. He had one of his best games since returning to the club.

Brilliantly put by a West Ham fan: “West Ham are the only team in the world who concede goals on a regular basis from their own corners”

It’s hard to expect anything other than at least three goals conceded when you have McCartney and O’Brien at centre back. Whilst Allardyce should have brought in defensive reinforcements, it’s hardly his fault that the three players we have in that position are all out injured.

Both Kevin Nolan and Matt Jarvis split opinion today. Personally I thought they were both solid with flashes of quality. Let’s hope for more of the same.

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham may cash in on Ravel Morrison

West Ham may sell Ravel Morrison in the January transfer window to allow Sam Allardyce money to strengthen his squad.

The 20-year-old midfielder, who has 18 months left on his current contract, has an £18million release clause, but also a clause that says if West Ham receive a bid of £10million or more, the players’ wages will be quadrupled to £60,000-a-week.

West Ham signed the England Under-21 international from Manchester United for an initial £650,000, rising by £25,000 per appearance, and selling him would give the Hammers a significant profit.

West Ham are interested in the Everton pair of defender Johnny Heitinga and striker Nikica Jelavic, but they are unlikely to be able to tempt Demba Ba to sign from Chelsea.

Ghana international Asamoah Gyan has already turned down a loan move in January, stating that he would prefer to stay at Al Ain.

West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan confirmed that Allardyce retained the board’s support, despite the Irons sitting in the Premier League relegation zone after the 3-3 home draw with West Brom.

“We back our manager, we have four key players out on long-term injuries, but we are doing all we can to sign reinforcements early in January,” he told Telegraph Sport.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Thanks CH. Boy that's like a smorgasboard of controversy.... where do you start....
Let's hope the New Year brings positive changes for us as there's not much to cheer about at the moment.
:crest:
shortofbrillant

Post by shortofbrillant »

Thanks CH.

These posts are priceless to a Hammer fan in Canada.
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
I want players to be frightened to play in front of our supporters at the Boleyn, like in the old days, not cheered when scoring against us..
Opposition players haven't been afraid to play at the Boleyn since the 80s......

Thanks CH..
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

[quote)

I want players to be frightened to play in front of our supporters at the Boleyn, like in the old days, not cheered when scoring against us..[/quote]
b*llocks, bought my 50/50 scarf yesterday, was happy whoever won, came to watch us play the baggies 'stars' cheered all six goals,and rushed to the tunnel to photograph the baggies 'stars' at the end of a most thrilling game, and now you tell me this?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

w4hammer wrote:
hardly goad..a gentle jog and a smile.... getting very sensitive down at the boleyn, eh...
Hang on, you're the one getting wound up because some people booed an opposition player!

Cheers CH, happy new year to you.