monday's news 30 december includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

monday's news 30 december includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Defenceless: Tomkins has joined West Ham's list of crocked centre-backs

West Ham injury crisis means they must try to outscore Fulham in relegation six-pointer

Sam Allardyce claimed attack will now be the best form of defence as West Ham’s season goes from bad to worse.

Saturday's crazy 3-3 draw with West Brom means the Hammers have conceded nine goals in their last three games - and the vibrant visitors looked like scoring every time they went forward in the helter-skelter second half.

The injury-ravaged Irons will now face fellow ­relegation candidates Fulham on New Year's Day without a recognised centre-back after James Tomkins joined the crocks.

And Allardyce, the new favourite in the sack race, admitted he only has the money to bring in two new players in the January transfer window after blowing his transfer budget on Andy Carroll.

So Big Sam, who has played without a striker this season, is now threatening to go gung-ho and try to out-score the Cottagers in a basketball-style contest.

“My problem is that the team that’ll play at Fulham is depleted at the moment,” he said. “I need to recover these players as quickly as I can and try to produce a resilience and desire that they produced today and try to get a result at Fulham.

“Ultimately, it’s stopping goals in. We used to be great at it because we had all our defenders were fit, now we have to say to ourselves, ‘Look, it’s unlikely we’re going to keep a clean sheet so we’re going to have to at least score two to win the game’.”

West Ham only picked up only two points in December - the worst in the Premier League and have now won only once in the top flight in 12 games.

There are unwelcome parallels with the last time the Hammers went down under Avram Grant with an unwelcome League Cup semi-final coming up next month. After 19 games under Grant, West Ham had 16 points. Under Allardyce half way through the season, they have 15

The West Ham hierarchy now admit they should have replaced Grant that season but co-owner David Sullivan again publicly backed his manager on Sunday.

That has not stopped Allarydce’s odds to be sacked to be trimmed to 7/4 though.

“Maybe I should put a bet on!” joked Big Sam. “What will be, will be. It’s not my problem what the bookmakers do.

“I have no interest in them and they have no influence over me. And they don’t have any influence over the owners, so we just carry on and do what we’re doing.

“We know what the problems are and our problems are injuries. Injuries effect results - that’s a fact not an excuse.”

But with West Ham needing strikers and defenders, Allardyce will not be able to buy his way out of trouble although one report has claimed he is willing to sell Ravel Morrison to raise funds.

How many new players will he bring in?

“As many as I can afford with the budget I’ve got,” he said. “But that would probably be two.”

What this six-goal romp did prove is that Allardyce has not lost his players, and that West Brom, whoever they chose as their new boss, should score enough goals to stay up.

After Joe Cole gave the Hammers the early lead, Nicolas Anelka scored his first two goals for the Baggies to see the home side booed off at the break.

But West Ham responded with goals from super sub Modibo Maiga and captain Kevin Nolan before Saido Berahino netted the third goal in five minutes.

Rallying cry: Nolan has backed his boss to help the Hammers claw their way out of trouble

West Ham's Kevin Nolan backs boss Sam Allardyce as beleaguered Hammers stay second bottom

Sam Allardyce set his ­struggling Hammers a six-points target for December – but they have ended up with only two.

Perhaps nobody expected West Ham to beat Arsenal or Manchester United. But draws against ­Sunderland and now managerless West Brom have seen the Upton Park club slide into the relegation zone. In fact, West Ham are the only club in the bottom six to stand by their original manager for this campaign.

Such has been their belief in the experienced Allardyce.

Big Sam had described the clash with fellow relegation strugglers West Brom as a “must-win” but the 3-3 draw at Upton Park means the Londoners end the year in deep trouble.

Kevin Nolan, West Ham’s goal-scoring skipper, is adamant Allardyce must stay.

He said: “If Sam was out of a job any of the clubs in the bottom six would hire Sam to keep them up. The co-chairmen here have been brilliant with him. They understand we’ve had injuries.

“We’re all in it together. We feel we’ll be in the Premier League come the end of the season.”

Hammers co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan have remained low-key and supportive during recent troubles.

Apart from one public complaint from Sullivan about the wisdom in paying £15 million for the long-term injured Andy Carroll, they have been a model of restraint - so far.

Despite the boos from the home crowd on the final whistle Allardyce insisted: “It was a remarkable performance given our defensive injuries.

“It was going well until (James) Tomkins was injured. His injury meant everybody getting depressed. We had two full-backs playing centre-half. You try and defend that. We scored three very good goals and the lads are disappointed they did not win.”

Allardyce went on: “The game was very frustrating. We showed great fighting spirit in the second half.”

Joe Cole put the Hammers ahead but Nicolas Anelka levelled before poking in two minutes later to give the Baggies a 2-1 half-time lead.

The home side equalised through Modibo Maiga’s 20-yard shot and Kevin Nolan prodded home from close range to put them back in front. But Saido Berahino equalised again for West Brom with a fine low strike.

Allardyce knew all about Anelka’s goal-poaching menace having signed him for Bolton in 2006.

He added: “Maiga’s goal was quality. Which is what you need in our situation. Sadly we didn’t protect ourselves which is a bitter pill for me tos wallow.

“We must have mentally switched off and we got heavily punished. Fatigue kicked in but I thought it was a very good goal given our defensive injuries.”

Baggies caretaker boss Keith Downing has now overseen three draws since Steve Clarke was sacked. But he is refusing to take the credit for stabilising the club.

“I could take all the adulation,” said Downing. “But of course it’s down to the players. I don’t know who is taking over or when but I’m fully focused. I will gladly support the new guy, whoever it is.”

Defensive issues: West Ham's last fit recognised centre-half James Tomkins went off injured early on
Delight: Saido Berahino scored the sixth goal of the game to pull West Brom level at Upton Park
Clinical finish: The talented youngster's strike was crucial in the relegation battle
No chance: Anelka breaks through the defence and slots past the helpless Jussi Jaaskelainen
Angry: Hammers boss Sam Alllardyce vents his frustration on the touchline

Allardyce blames West Ham slump on injury crisis as he targets two 'quality signings' in January window

Sam Allardyce has claimed he is to blame for West Ham's slide into the relegation places but said injuries were wreaking havoc on his team's season.

James Tomkins limped out of the 3-3 draw with West Brom early on after suffering a groin problem, meaning Alladryce has no senior central defenders fit to play the huge match at Fulham on New Year's Day.

Winston Reid and James Collins are also out but Ravel Morrison should return for West Ham, who are second-bottom without a league win in six games.

The point gained on Saturday looked unlikely at half-time after two Nicolas Anelka goals, his first in English football since August 2011, cancelled out Joe Cole's opener with West Ham fielding a defensive line of only full backs.

Allardyce, who wants two ‘quality signings’ once the January window opens, said: ‘This is my fault if you like, and that’s fine, the manager is meant to carry the can. But in my defence we’ve had six/seven players injured out for weeks and weeks and weeks.

'My problem is that the team that’ll play at Fulham is depleted at the moment. I need to recover these players as quickly as I can and try to produce a resilience and desire that they produced against West Brom and try to get a result.'

West Ham United

Manager’s moves
Sam Allardyce has seen many of his managerial colleagues at the bottom of the table sacked already and he needs to pick up points quickly to avoid a similar fate. Allardyce has badly missed record signing Andy Carroll and will be banking on him returning to fitness in the new year.

Star player: Winston Reid
The central defender has been sorely missed since suffering an injury. With West Ham struggling to score goals, Reid is crucial if they are to keep them out.

Flop: Andy Carroll
The striker has yet to play a game since joining on a permanent basis for £15  million from Liverpool.

What now?
West Ham must find a goalscorer to stand a realistic chance of staying in the Premier League. Relegation is unthinkable for a club with a high wage bill and the Olympic Stadium move in 2016.

Matt Law's verdict: 4/10
West Ham gambled on the signing of Carroll and so far they have paid the price. Allardyce may benefit from dropping captain Kevin Nolan and allowing talented midfielder Ravel Morrison to play in his favoured advanced position. The January transfer window will be key.

Rejected: Asamoah Gyan has turned down the chance to move back to England with West Ham
Striker: Gyan scored 10 goals in 34 appearances for Sunderland in the Premier League
Purple club: He completed a permanent deal to Al Ain in September 2011
Staying in his job? Sam Allardyce is dancing with relegation currently

West Ham fall short in attempt to lure striker Gyan back to the Premier League

West Ham have had a loan bid for former Sunderland striker Asamoah Gyan turned down as their desperate search for a striker continues.

The Ghanaian moved to United Arab Emirates club Al Ain in 2011 and is happy to stay despite the opportunity of another stint in the Premier League.

Speaking to Ghanasoccernet.com, Gyan said: 'West Ham have made an offer for me, but it is up to Al Ain to make a decision. I have a contract with them. So I will remain focused on my work.

'My heart and soul are attached to Al Ain and I always look forward to show the best level that satisfies my ambitions with my team and the fans.

'When my mum passed away I was thinking about my team and, when I will be with my national team in the World Cup, I will work with the same level with my national team to hit the targets of myself and my people.'

West Ham are in need of a striker to try and drag them out of the relegation zone, with Andy Carroll not expected to be back on the pitch for at least another couple of weeks.

Even then, his impact may not be enough to turn their season around, and the likes of Everton's Nikica Jelavic and Atletico Madrid's Leo Baptistao are being lined up for a January loan move.

Verywestham

Say Hello to Ishak Belfodil: at last an understudy to Andy Carroll?

Breaking news from France is that Ishak Belfodil the French-Algerian forward who has been warming the bench at Inter this season is on his way to West Ham. L'Arena reports that apparently, a six-month loan deal has been agreed that will bring him to the Boleyn until the end of the current season. West Ham fans will hope that this is the start of a series of squad enhancements that can propel them to safety as they face into 2014 second from bottom of the Premiership.

Is the Algerian international the answer to West Ham’s problems? Well, for sure Belfodil has got some Allardyce characteristics –he’s big at 191cm, also muscular weighing in at 86kg and as footage of him in action shows he’s also pretty pacey and hard to dispossess– perhaps a bit like a mixture between Diame and Vaz Te, but looks stronger than both in the air.

For Inter he has been employed mostly as a right-sided forward rather than as all-out striker and has a scoring record that does not suggest he is quite the hitman that many are hoping for – having scored a respectable 8 goals for Parma last season (mostly headers and some pretty impressive efforts amongst them) he has struggled at Inter and remains to break his duck with them. he managed to get himself voted onto the Serie A flops of the year (no goals, one red card for fighting off the ball!!!), but Italian soccer press can be pretty cruel and in reality he has not been given much of a chance and almost certainly would plead that he has been largely played out of position on the wing rather than his prefrred centre forward berth. However, Hammers fans will note that at a mere 21 years of age and with pretty sporadic experience in the French and Italian Leagues, he lacks the experience that the pressures of a Premiership relegation dog fight require.
Only for the different colour of boots they'd be identical...
However, with his youth and after a frustrating season where he has been unable to break into the Inter first team, the reported six-months loan period at the Boleyn may be attractive to the youngster. He has quite a few Carroll-like attributes and could be a useful back up for the injury-prone star as West Ham face a nervous period when their star forward finally returns from his lengthy injury-problems. Also, in a World Cup year when Algeria will be competing - he needs to get some proper game time. Impact sub i hear you cry?

In the background is a pretty complicated legaal arrangement between Inter and his former club Parma who retain 50% ownership of him, although it is unclear whether this is likely to prove relevant to a loan deal and may only become an issue if a more permanent deal is sought.
The reports suggest that he will arrive in the next few days.......Waddaya think???

Stick or Twist - The Great Managerial Gamble

As it currently stands, West Ham are the only team in the bottom 5 of the Premier League who have not made a managerial change. An alarming statistic for those who believe change is a good thing. However, it might also lead to you ask if there is any merit in the wisdom of our fellow relegation battlers decisions. After all…they are still all in the bottom 5.

Following the bore draw against Sunderland – themselves having made a managerial change earlier in the season – the majority of the post match talk was centred on the future of Sam Allardyce. In essence, should we stick or should we twist?

There are plausible arguments for each side of the debate. On one hand, 8 clean sheets are evidence of the fact that Allardyce has turned us into a fairly solid unit – the main issue being our lack of goals. There is a strong feeling that having put together a team consisting of Downing, Jarvis and Carroll he should be given the opportunity to turn things around once that line up is available again. However, Allardyce brings with him a certain style of play that the purists claim not to be “The West Ham Way” which at times can be difficult to watch. Similarly, he must at least be culpable for putting all his eggs into the Andy Carroll basket. Not only that, but having signed Maiga, that means he must have thought he was good enough for the Premier League. Worrying Judgement!

So should he go? Will it perform the turnaround in form everyone expects it to? Well, who knows? For every Mauricio Pochettino, there’s a Nigel Adkins. Statistically speaking, there is no evidence to suggest whether changing manager is a good thing or a bad thing. However, with the utter shambles of failing to replace Avram Grant still fresh in the memory, it’s understandable that with a record equally as bad as that fateful season, its understandable many fans are getting nervy.

But whilst relegation remains a possibility, it is not very likely. If you look at where we are now, and the players we have to return, things do take a slightly positive outlook. After all, we have Reid, Downing and Carroll returning in January – a trio that if any of the clubs in the bottom 6 were to sign, they’d surely pull away.

So whilst I remain confident that we will stay up, even with Allardyce in charge, should the board decide to make the change – who is available? And would they be a better fit?

Steve Clarke
One of the more surprising recent sackings, and a sign of the often kneejerk decisions made in modern day football. His reward for guiding West Brom to a recent high of 8th in the Premier League last year, winning at Old Trafford and notable performances against Chelsea and Man City was to be dismissed after 4 straight defeats. A manager
who looks to combine attractive football along with playing a target man (Lukaku) he could be the perfect solution for a club who have invested so much in Carroll. The only problem will be that having previously paid a large compensation for him to leave as part of the Zola sacking, the David’s are unlikely to want to loose face and re-hire him.

Glenn Hoddle
Dismissed from the England job for infamous non football related reasons, he was undoubtedly one of the most forward thinking coaches in recent generations. An advocate of the passing game, his appointment would see a return to the traditional style of football. However, his Spurs connections will be an issue for a few, as will his perceived failures with less talented players at Wolves and Southampton – however, just imagine what he could do with Ravel Morrison. An outside bet, but still a possibility.

Pepe Mel
A bit of an unknown on these shores, but Spanish press has been linking him with the job for several weeks. The 50 year old former striker was until recently manager of Real Betis, having led them to 7th place and Europa League qualification last season. However, after a humiliating 4-0 defeat to rivals Sevilla in December, he was sacked. Known for playing the ball on the floor, and a fan of the tika taka style of play, quite how he would utilise our prized asset is a mystery. Also an advocate of bringing through younger players (Just ask our current back up keeper Adrian) any concerns about his knowledge of the Premier League would surely be overlooked when considering the impact the likes of Laudrup and Pochettino have had in recent years.

Paolo Di Canio
A sentimental choice but not much else. Impressed at Swindon, but clearly not suited to the egotistical modern day Premier League footballer. Prone to shooting from the hip, his temper may get the better of him. The only thing that is certain is that he would instantly get the crowd on side with him, though quite how long that -or his current legend status – would last for is anyone’s guess! A disaster waiting to happen at the moment and his political views mean current chairmen are unlikely to employ him; it will however be worth seeing how he progresses in his next job.

Avram Grant
He is still available...

So what do you think? Should we stick with Sam, or take a gamble on a new boss. And if so, who would you like to see take the reigns?

By Marcus Johns
@Johnsie31

Follow the blog on Twitter @MooreThanAClub for more great Hammers news!

West Ham would be mad to let him go

Carlton ColeThis week I have been asked: ‘Should we offer Carlton Cole a new contract?’ Well after a big summer of beer and pies, Cole is finally fit again to play a 90 minute game of football. The big question is should we be looking to extend his contract till the end of the season or should we use the money for someone else?

Cole has scored three times in December and is in some good form, so really why would you let his contract expire? Yes there is a chance of injury and Cole is a touch injury prone. But the hardest part about transfers is getting the guy to take of their shirt and put a West Ham one on. Cole’s home is West Ham, he took a 50% pay cut and stayed with us when we went down, despite there being offers on the table.

I have never seen a recent copy of Cole’s pay check, so I can’t say for sure how much he is on. But I believe it would be about the £20-30,000 a week deal, maybe even £40,000. Whatever the cost is, Cole will be very likely to stay should an extension be offered till the end of the season.

However what about the flip side of the coin? What happens if we miss out on a player who is better that we could get in on loan? Manchester United’s Wilfried Zaha is a player that West Ham are mad if they don’t try to get to Upton Park. Furthermore, Manchester City’s Jack Rodwell is a good young midfielder that could do with a six month spell at West Ham and give us some more options in the midfield. However these type of players would not come to West Ham for wages of the kind that Cole is on, the really good players want big money and that brings me to my next point.

We have no idea how much money is in the bank or how much the owners will pump into the club, this January. But we do know that there is some money, and that we are actively hunting for more options. The fact that Cole has scored against Manchester United and Arsenal is sure to be on the owners mind. While he didn’t score against West Brom, he wasn’t awash with chances either. I think he has done well of late, and I think most people would agree.

Sam Alladyce has said about how hard it is to get players through the door. Some of these players think that they are going to go to a big club because that’s what their agents tell them. They also tell them that they can get a deal done for them and they will play week in week out, this is all rubbish some players that are rejecting a move need to see that they won’t play for any of the big club any time soon, or if they do they will be a very expensive spectator. The advantage of Cole is he is here right now with the shirt on and wants to keep playing.

So I say give him a contract till the end of the season, he might just surprise us all. He is our joint leading goal scorer for the season in the Premier League. To simply let him go is madness.

Chelsea want to bring former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso, 32, back to the Premier League after the Spain international snubbed new contract talks at Real Madrid.

Daily Express

Manchester United are preparing to send 19-year-old playmaker Nick Powell to Hull City on loan after his success at Championship side Wigan.

Daily Mirror

Liverpool are planning a £7m bid for Udinese's Ghanaian midfielder Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu, 23, in January after Reds boss Brendan Rodgers bemoaned his lack of squad depth.

Metro

Everton manager Roberto Martinez can "guarantee" that left-back Leighton Baines, 29, will not be leaving for Manchester United during the January transfer window.

Sky Sports

Stoke boss Mark Hughes wants to bring former Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne, 25, back to the Premier League - in a loan deal from Hamburg.

Daily Mirror

QPR manager Harold Redwanker wants to sign Tottenham striker Harry Kane, 20, on loan.

The Sun (subscription)

Ray Wilkins, 57, is to return to Fulham as part of Rene Meulensteen's coaching staff. Wilkins was manager at Craven Cottage in 1997 prior to taking up coaching roles at Chelsea, Watford and Millwall.
Daily Mail

West Ham United expect striker Andy Carroll to be playing within "two to three weeks" according to owner David Gold, which means manager Sam Allardyce can shift his focus to defensive reinforcements once the transfer window opens.

Daily Telegraph

Tottenham are keeping tabs on Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone despite appointing Tim Sherwood as their head coach on an 18-month contract.

Daily Star

Gabriel Obertan's days at Newcastle United may be numbered after the French winger stormed out of St James' Park when he was told he would not be involved in the clash against Arsenal.

Daily Mail

Cardiff City remain determined to appoint Molde boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as their manager but have ruled out a move for ex-England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Daily Telegraph

Celtic target, midfielder Mahmoud Hassan, 19, has handed in a transfer request to force through a move to Parkhead from Egyptian club Al-Ahly.

Daily Record

Blackburn want to sign Bradford striker Nahki Wells, 23, with QPR and Wigan also interested in the £3m rated forward.

The Sun (subscription)

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has informed the club's board that he prefers them to buy players with the number eight in their birth date.
Metro

this twat is bonkers

http://static.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery ... girl35.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no 2 please
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Re: monday's news 30 december includes west ham

Post by swash »

Cheers CH
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Thanks CH.

Madness to let Cole go, give him an extension - he's earned it

:crest:
damiant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by damiant »

cheers CH,

that algerian forward looks ok :-), might put some pressure on AC once he's fit
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, much appreciated.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... fault.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Thanks CH as ever!

Can just see Sam on phone to Nolan, "Hey Kev, can you come out and back me, no one else will, and your the first name on my team sheet every week" LOL!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL

Nicolas Anelka faces a minimum five-match ban from the FA after producing a goal celebration branded 'disgusting' and 'clearly anti-Semitic'

Jose Mourinho and Brendan Rodgers were locked in a war of words last night after Chelsea beat Liverpool 2-1 to stay in the thick of the Barclays Premier League title race
THE SUN

Jose Mourinho went to war with old mate Brendan Rodgers over 'wild' Luis Suarez.

Arsene Wenger hailed his Gunners as the new 'Special Ones'.
DAILY MIRROR

Jose Mourinho last night launched a no-holds-barred attack on Luis Suarez, branding him an 'acrobatic swimming pool diver'.

Nicolas Anelka could become the first high-profile player banned under new anti-racism rules after his anti-semitic goal celebration.
DAILY EXPRESS

Jose Mourinho launched an astonishing attack on Luis Suarez, accusing the Liverpool striker of being an 'acrobatic swimming pool' diver.

DAILY STAR

Jose Mourinho and Brendan Rodgers were locked in a war of words last night after Chelsea blew the title race wide open.
Arsene Wenger claims something special is happening at Arsenal.
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

Once again, Chelsea and Liverpool took a walk on the wild side. Once again, the rivalry spilt over. Samuel Eto'o, Oscar and Lucas could easily have been dismissed. But once again, there was some breathtaking football, much of it flowing from the marvellous Eden Hazard, vibrant in possession, diligent in tracking back and deservedly man of a thrilling match.

There is a peculiar beauty in 1-0 away wins at the end of ugly games in bleak midwinter played a long way from home, so Arsenal should be proud of this.

THE TIMES

Jose Mourinho continues to talk up Manchester City as champions elect, but no-one in the Barclays Premier League will rest easy with Chelsea two points off the top at the halfway stage.

THE GUARDIAN

Jose Mourinho has accused Luis Suarez of reverting to 'wild' natural instincts by performing 'an acrobatic swimming pool jump' in an attempt to win a late penalty, as Liverpool surrendered momentum in the title race to Chelsea.

Nicolas Anelka has refused to apologise for his controversial quenelle gesture and denied any anti-Semitic intent behind the celebration.
THE INDEPENDENT

Jose Mourinho last night claimed that Luis Suarez dived to try to win a penalty against Samuel Eto'o and that it was in the Liverpool striker's 'cultural nature' to do anything to win games.

Arsenal have resolve. Newcastle are not a Champions League team. It was hardly an afternoon of revelations at St James' Park yesterday.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Loan ranger: Borriello could be set for a Premier League move in January

West Ham moving for out of favour Roma striker Marco Borriello to boost firepower

West Ham United have opened talks with Italian club Roma over a January move for striker Marco Borriello.

According to various reports, the Giallorossi's sporting director Walter Sabatini has been in London over the weekend, discussing potential ins and outs at the Stadio Olimpico.

And top of his list was 31-year-old Borriello, who has struggled to hold down a regular spot under manager Rudi Garcia this term.

The seven-cap Italian international has made 11 appearances so far, but only five starts.

Additionally, he has scored just one goal this season as unbeaten Roma have moved to second in the race for the Scudetto.

Borriello has already been linked with a move to the Premier League this month, with his agent stating that Tottenham Hotspur had opened talks over a January move.

However, it's reckoned that he could be set for the tenth loan move of his career, with Sam Allardyce's side in pole position.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham United re-call Pelly Ruddock from Luton Town

Pelly Ruddock has been re-called from his loan at Luton Town by parent club West Ham United.

The Premier League side have summoned the midfielder back to Upton Park due to injuries within their squad.

Ruddock’s deal at Kenilworth Road was due to expire on Janaury 4 and the club had expressed a wish to extend the arrangement. 
He made seven appearances during his time at the Hatters.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

His Name is Rio, Should He Come Back to Upton Park?

Rumours abound that former West Ham starlet Rio Ferdinand may make a dramatic return to Upton Park during the coming transfer window. He’s been told he won’t be a first choice at Manchester United and his contract finishes at the end of the season. It is thought he will probably retire at that point, at the age of 35. However, a last hurrah at his spiritual home might well give him a new lease of life.

From West Ham’s point of view we get a player with a proven track record and if he is signed on a ‘pay as you play’ basis until the end of the season it is difficult to see what there is to lose. With Winston Reid playing a similar game to Rio, he could clearly learn a lot from him, as could some of our younger defenders.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Chelsea are on alert after Xabi Alonso snubbed contract talks at Real Madrid. The Spanish side are willing to hand the ex-Liverpool star a two-year deal at the Bernabéu with the option of a third year. But Alonso, 32, wants to become a free agent in the summer and would welcome a return to the Premier League. (Daily Express)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has ruled out a swoop for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye in January. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United boss David Moyes is ready to send Nick Powell to Steve Bruce’s Hull - after his stunning success at Championship side Wigan. (Daily Mirror)

Stoke boss Mark Hughes wants to bring Michael Mancienne back to the Premier League - in a loan deal from Hamburg. (Daily Mirror)

Gabriel Obertan's days at Newcastle United may be numbered after the winger reportedly 'flounced off in a huff' after being told he was not going to be involved against Arsenal. (Daily Mail)

QPR manager Harold Redwanker is keen to take Tottenham striker Harry Kane, 20, on loan. (The Sun)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has hinted he would like to finish his glittering career with Celtic. The Swedish superstar revealed he is a huge fan if the unique Celtic Park atmosphere and would love to play in it every week as a Bhoys player. (Daily Mirror)

Mourinho hails Chelsea's reaction to going behind to Liverpool

Sherwood calls on Tottenham to make White Hart Lane a fortress

Hughes: Decisions still not going Stoke's way

Liverpool probably should have got a penalty, says Rodgers

Wenger praises Arsenal’s spirit in victory over Newcastle

Young issues defiant title warning to Man United's rivals

Exclusive – Dicks blasts lazy West Ham stars

Martinez confirms two enquiries for Everton outcast Jelavic
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

Yes, Yes, Yes to RIo, come home son we need you.
Sherwood calls on Tottenham to make White Hart Lane a fortress
It has been for us!!