wednesday's news 1 january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Re: wednesday's news 1 january includes west ham

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Happy new year ch and all Hammers
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Happy new year ch and all Hammers

likewise mate
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

What can I say CH, another fine read, happy new year...
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

SportsDirect News has learned that the departure of Mladen Petric will save £30,000-a- week in wages and that he is almost certain to be followed out of the club by £20,000-a-week Carlton Cole.
Is Petric not contracted to the end of the season? I can't imagine there's a queue of clubs waiting to take over his contract to save us a few bob.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL

David Moyes has insisted Manchester United can still retain their Barclays Premier League title and warned they will get even better when Robin van Persie returns.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto was at the centre of another French race storm last night after it emerged that he had invited anti-Semitic comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala to a game at Tottenham, insisting he would 'love it'.

DAILY EXPRESS

Bolton underlined the grim financial reality of Premier League relegation by revealing crippling debts of £163.8million.

Arsene Wenger has laughed off Jose Mourinho's claims that Manchester City are strong favourites for the title.

DAILY STAR

Jose Mourinho fears Manchester United are on the march again.

Arsene Wenger claims everyone is waiting for Arsenal's title bid to blow up in their faces.

DAILY MIRROR

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is making an £8million move for Southampton's England striker Rickie Lambert

Spurs star Sandra has issued a warning to Charlie Adam as the row over the Scot's record against the north Londoners continued.

THE INDEPENDENT

Jose Mourinho believes that second-placed Manchester City are the clear favourites to win the Premier League title this season.

THE TIMES rday.

Chelsea have abandoned their long-standing target of breaking even after recording a loss of £49.4 million for the year ending June 2013.

THE SUN

Ian Rush last night claimed Luis Suarez has a whopping £120million get-out clause in his new deal.

Chelsea go into the New Year nearly £50million in the red.

THE GUARDIAN

Jose Mourinho has sought to pile the pressure on to Manchester City, presenting them as red-hot title favourites for 2014, and the Chelsea manager has insisted he is not playing mind games.

Bolton Wanderers have admitted their debts have grown to a staggering £163.8m, with £50.7m haemorrhaging during the 12 months to June 2013.

DAILY TELEGRAPH

Arsene Wenger has dismissed Jose Mourinho's claim that Manchester City are overwhelming favourites to win the Premier League and insisted that Arsenal could make their most serious title challenge for a decade.

Jose Mourinho was given a stark reminder yesterday that the days of virtually limitless spending at Chelsea are over when the club posted a huge annual loss of £49.4 million but still promised to meet Uefa's strict new financial rules.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Cheers CH, and thanks for all your hard work again over another long year of West Ham ups and downs!

Happy New Year Steve and to your family... and indeed to all my fellow KUMBers. :crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Cheers CH, as always.

happy new year mate
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Cheers CH, and thanks for all your hard work again over another long year of West Ham ups and downs!

Happy New Year Steve and to your family... and indeed to all my fellow KUMBers. :crest:

thank you mate same to you and yours
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Exclusive - Le Tissier rubbishes Lambert to West Ham transfer talk

Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier admits he’d be very surprised if West Ham managed to land Rickie Lambert in the January transfer window.

The England striker has been linked with a £9million switch to Upton Park as the east London club look to solve their shortage of options up front.

But former Saints star Le Tissier claims Mauricio Pochettino will be desperate to hold on to the 31-year-old.

“I’d be surprised,” he told talkSPORT when asked whether Lambert would move to the Hammers. “£9million is a lot of money for someone of Rickie’s age and the number of seasons he’s got left in the Premier League, not for his ability though.

“West Ham are in a position where they need to find somebody who can score some goals so they may well try again to sign him, having failed in the summer.

“From what I know though and what I hear, Rickie is pretty happy at Southampton so I’d be surprised if he left.”
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

lucy bang ard proper name for a slut that

happy new year steve to you & yours from me & mine, lets hope this new one is better for both of us. :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

non west ham news

Leyton Orient vs Bristol City clash postponed due to structural damage at Matchroom Stadium

Bristol City's New Year’s Day fixture at Leyton Orient has been postponed due to structural damage at the Matchroom Stadium caused by the recent adverse weather conditions.

The floodlights at the stadium were damaged over the Christmas period and require repair work before the stadium is safe for public use.

Manager Steve Cotterill commented: “I’m really disappointed that the game has been called off.

“We’re in good form and, on the back of the recent successes at Ashton Gate, everyone was looking forward to the match.

“The postponement is a major disappointment for everyone at the club, including our supporters who were planning on making the trip.”

A new fixture date will be announced in due course on bcfc.co.uk and tickets for the original match will remain valid. After the announcement of the new date a refund will be available for those unable to make the rearranged fixture.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

the oldham stripper wrote:lucy bang ard proper name for a slut that

happy new year steve to you & yours from me & mine, lets hope this new one is better for both of us. :thup:

not wrong mate

lucy banghard i would
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Atletico striker given green light for West Ham loan move

West Ham target Leo Baptistao has been given the green light to leave Atletico Madrid on loan - although the Hammers will face stiff competition to land the Brazilian on a temporary deal.

Atletico are set to sign former Bayern Munich attacking midfielder Jose Sosa until the summer and that will pave the way for Baptistao to seek first-team football elsewhere until the end of the season.

The highly-rated 21-year-old has managed only one league start since his summer move from Rayo Vallecano and manager Diego Simeone is keen for him to continue his short-term development elsewhere.

Baptistao, who scored seven goals last season, already has offers from six clubs, namely Malaga, Real Betis, Rayo Vallecano, Almeria, Villarreal and West Ham.

The Hammers have struggled in front of goal this season and landing Baptistao would provide Sam Allardyce's side with a huge boost in their fight against relegation.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Eye on the enemy – Fulham

This proves to be the first return fixture we’ve had for this weekly article; and I’m pleased to say I was able to get hold of the guys across the pond again from cottagersconfidential.com (@CottagersC) to get their take on the game a month after the reverse fixture at Upton Park. As always a massive shout out and thank you to them for getting involved, for the second time this season!

The roles are reversed for this return fixture, we are now below Fulham by just the one point. How comfortable are the Fulham fans now since our first meeting? You’ve played better since Jol’s departure but you’re still very much involved in the relegation battle, not much has changed per say?

Before the Hull game, the fan base was pretty comfortable. The team had generally played well and even in defeat had looked good and always seemed to have a plan. He’s also using players in positions that suit them rather than trying to shoe horn what might be the best 11 into positions where they can’t succeed. I think the results in the second half will be better than the results in the first. If they can make some smart purchases, I think they may stay up.

How demoralising was the recent result again Hull City? You’d picked up some points before that so it must have been a massive sucker punch for the fans and the players to be on the end of a thumping like that?

The Hull result was a bit unsettling. It was a very Jol like game. However, there were some extenuating circumstances. Our first choice RB, two of our CB’s, and our first choice GK were missing. That back line had played zero minutes together. To make matters worse, Scotty Parker was also missing. I think Meulensteen almost treated it like a throw away. He had gotten all three points on boxing day. With the next two league fixtures being home against West Ham and Sunderland, he knew this was a match he could afford to drop points in. He appeared to be playing for a nil-nil draw. It worked for about 50 minutes. But once the wheels feel off, he didn’t really have an answer.

It has recently been rumoured that the world-beater that is Mladen Petric has been released due to him not featuring at all for us due to injury. Have we missed out on much there, or are we better off without him at the club?

Mladen had a lot of the same issues at Fulham. When he played and was healthy he looked quite good. But he kept getting injured. There was simply no way to count on him. He’s still got a lot of quality, but if he can’t stay healthy, he’s hard to keep around. Especially when you are struggling with other injuries.

You tipped both teams to stay up prior to our earlier meeting, do you still feel that way inclined or have you moved the goalposts somewhat?

I still think both teams will stay up. I don’t believe there’s enough quality at Palace or enough investment to improve the squad to save them. Pulis might be an upgrade, but I don’t think they’ll stay up. Cardiff could quickly turn into a dumpster fire the way their owner is behaving. I think Norwich are much, much poorer than they’re point total and could actually regress. And everyone keeps waiting for Sunderland to turn things around, but there’s a real possibility they are just bad and don’t ever turn the corner. That doesn’t even take into account a lot of the other bottom of the table. I think the biggest plus that Fulham and West Ham both have is the financial ability to invest. And boards who aren’t crazy.

Final question – again – heart and head, what do you predict for the match at the Cottage?

My heart and head are pretty much in agreement. I think Fulham pull this out three to one. I believe Berbatov comes back up top. We play with a better back four. And the Hull game becomes a distant memory. If Fulham loose this game though, I might be ready to panic.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

The Kevin Nolan Conundrum

Opinions of our not so charismatic captain Kevin Nolan have been some what divided of late.

Regular users of social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook will know that West Ham fans are not exactly shy in letting their feelings known when it comes to ‘their’ club.

Most fans, and I include myself in there, were happy, excited or maybe even just relieved to have signed someone of Kevins’ stature, skill, talent & leadership back in June 2011 – plus his apparent willingness to score and create goals any Premier league midfielder would be proud of. And the approximate fee of £4million seemed a steal at the time.

His record at Bolton Wanderers was 296 games with a return of 40 goals, and that started to get him noticed, but that’s still only a goal every 7.4 games.

But a certain Sam Allardyce seemed very happy with his contribution. After his move to Newcastle, his record changed to an impressive 29 goals in 85 appearances, which works out at a goal every 2.9 games. Very impressive for a midfielder, including 17 goals in Newcastle’s Championship campaign in 2009/2010, but I could go on about facts & figures all day.

What I, and most fans of our club, are interested in is the here and now. Why is he suffering a dip in form? Why do some fans feel he is picked on status rather than merit?

There is no doubting his talent but, when a player goes through a dip in form, should they be dropped regardless of if they are club captain or not? Sir Alex wasn’t afraid to drop Rooney or Roy Keane when they were not playing well. Joe Hart from Man City has been dropped due to poor form recently, so why can’t Nolan be dropped?

There are times during a long Premiership season when injuries & suspensions mean you are un-able to field some of your first choice eleven. If we were short of central midfielders I can see the argument for playing Nolan every week but, when we have a reasonably fit squad and Nolan isn’t contributing as much as he should do, or once did, should he be replaced by a player in his position who is in form or has been ripping up trees in training?

No doubt we have some talented midfielders at the club, most noticeably young Ravel Morrison, or Mark Noble – although he prefers to sit back. Jack Collison or Joe Cole can play there, Ricardo Vaz Te can play there, or even give some of our promising youth players a chance such as the impressive George Moncur.

You can’t fault Nolan’s leadership skills but does he take it too far with needless red and yellow cards?

During his three match suspension, the team seemed to cope rather well without him and didn’t appear to miss him. The results show we can survive without him.

A gutsy draw against Sunderland and a great win away to Spurs to reach the last four of the Capital One Cup were great results considering our recent run of form. The match against Premier league champions Manchester United proved one hurdle too many for a tired squad. The home loss to Arsenal was one to be forgotten but at least he managed to get on the score sheet in the game against West Brom.

So as fans we have to weigh up the good points and not so good points about captain Kev. He certainly has passion and he is a natural leader and chips in with the odd goal, although not as many as one would hope. On the down side he has lost half a yard of pace over the last year or so but he is still only 31, so should have a few more years of playing in him yet.

His lack of pace leaves him making late, lunging tackles which more often than not, result in a booking or dismissal. He seems lethargic after thirty minutes and some fans have been booing him because, from the outside looking in, it looks like he’s not trying hard enough.

There are many players that could be bought or loaned in but I think we already a natural replacement as club captain in Mark Noble. Any one who saw him crying after a defeat during the ‘Great escape’ year, knows he will give blood for this wonderful club and go that extra mile to try and get a positive result for West Ham United Football Club.

Mohamed Diame, Winston Reid or even Andy Carroll would make good captains but, as long as Nolan is still at our club, whether we like him or not, we should back him and the players, get behind the team, be the twelfth player and follow our club into what will hopefully be, a successful period as we prepare to move into the Olympic stadium.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H.

Happy new year to you and yours mate :thup:
kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

Blimey that was a bit of an epic today CH! Nearly dislocated my thumb trying to scroll through that lot on the phone...

Many thanks for all your hard work, and a Happy New Year to you and the family :thup:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Ta CH.

Here's hoping for a much deserved happy new year to you and yours mate.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Happy new year to you and yours CH :crest: