Commiserations on an athletics stadium, from a Rotherham fan

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Commiserations on an athletics stadium, from a Rotherham fan

Post by HammerMan2004 »

UpTheMillers wrote:Image
Anyone else get the impression by looking at that image, the brown patch is much closer to the stand at the other end of the pitch? I'm sitting over there :lol:

In all seriousness, the brown patch is not the size of the pitch...
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

I've ran round the track in Berlin 8-)

Daft comparison anyway - the rake in Berlin is much steeper than at the OS, and the side stands are parallel with the pitch in Berlin and therefore much closer to the pitch.
UpTheMillers

Post by UpTheMillers »

HammerMan2004 wrote:In all seriousness, the brown patch is not the size of the pitch...

Are you sure, the line around it is the inside of the running track. The only way it isn't the pitch is if you're expanding the pitch over the running track, which given the need to host athletics strikes me as exceedingly unlikely and would only serve to make the pitch 'too big'. I'd bet money that the brown patch is precisely the dimensions the pitch will be.

You're all taking it very well! I admire the optimism, I just dread checking back in 2 years time.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

UpTheMillers wrote:You're all taking it very well! I admire the optimism, I just dread checking back in 2 years time.
It looks much too square to be a football pitch. Given the size of something like this:

If someone has an image from more directly above I'll stand corrected...
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
In all seriousness, the brown patch is not the size of the pitch...
The brown patch (athletics field to be) is approx 9m wider & 15m shorter than the present pitch at the Boleyn Ground.

So it's not !
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

I was fortunate enough to see football at the old Wembley on various occasions an old open and low terraced stadium yet the atmosphere was superb something that most people I know feel the new Wembley has struggled to equal. Twickenham has quite a space around the pitch too and that is a fantastic atmosphere. Even the emirates has quite some space at he ends. The new Olympic stadium is very compact with steep terracing. IF there can be some temporary retractable added over some of the track there is no reason that this can be a very successful move. Certainly better than a slow death at the Boleyn where the cost of even the needed new stand would be excessive especially with the requirement to improve public transport as per the last time we proposed that is taken into consideration. Personally I don't think the sympathy will be required.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

I was fortunate enough to see football at the old Wembley on various occasions an old open and low terraced stadium yet the atmosphere was superb something that most people I know feel the new Wembley has struggled to equal. Twickenham has quite a space around the pitch too and that is a fantastic atmosphere. Even the emirates has quite some space at he ends. The new Olympic stadium is very compact with steep terracing. IF there can be some temporary retractable added over some of the track there is no reason that this can be a very successful move. Certainly better than a slow death at the Boleyn where the cost of even the needed new stand would be excessive especially with the requirement to improve public transport as per the last time we proposed that is taken into consideration. Personally I don't think the sympathy will be required.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

spyinthesky wrote:I was fortunate enough to see football at the old Wembley on various occasions an old open and low terraced stadium yet the atmosphere was superb something that most people I know feel the new Wembley has struggled to equal. Twickenham has quite a space around the pitch too and that is a fantastic atmosphere. Even the emirates has quite some space at he ends. The new Olympic stadium is very compact with steep terracing. IF there can be some temporary retractable added over some of the track there is no reason that this can be a very successful move. Certainly better than a slow death at the Boleyn where the cost of even the needed new stand would be excessive especially with the requirement to improve public transport as per the last time we proposed that is taken into consideration. Personally I don't think the sympathy will be required.
Did you say new Olympic stadium is compact with steep terracing. Have a look again mate you must be looking at the wrong picture.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

mywhufc wrote: Did you say new Olympic stadium is compact with steep terracing. Have a look again mate you must be looking at the wrong picture.
Looks great :wink:

paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Hi UTM, thanks for your input!
Was just wondering if you've been to the don valley when the stadiums been near full and if so was the atmospere better at all?
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

Went to Rotherham v Exeter in May 2009. Got a season ticket in the BML but Exeter are my other team and all that. West Ham were away at Stoke that day, the one when it all kicked off.

Anyway, Exeter took thousands as they would get promoted with a win. We made noise. We gave it some atmosphere, but I can imagine how miserable it is for Rotherham fans on a week-to-week basis. They made very little noise, but then they were headed for mid-table mediocrity whatever happened in that game.

Some good pics on this website from the day. I'm in there getting stopped by stewards from invading the pitch. They couldn't stop us for long though, and after the final whistle about 2,000 Exeter fans went on. Police didn't nick anyone for it - pointless really.

http://www.cheggerspics.fpic.co.uk/c1691942_1.html