Commiserations on an athletics stadium, from a Rotherham fan

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Commiserations on an athletics stadium, from a Rotherham fan

Post by barlimanrob »

the pink palermo wrote:
The same one I used with the blonde at the Baggies yesterday .I've promised I'll be careful on which pics I upload .

A small Canon - never let me down
:lol:

Lets have the lot mate! Is it a compact jobby, can you see what focal lengths are being used? If so, the magic number will probably be at or around 35mm.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

UpTheMillers wrote:

On atmosphere, I really hope so and on the positive, I think it will be much better for you than it is at Rotherham, however I don't think you'll ever be able to achieve anything like what you could[can] at Upton Park, and it is the notable difference that will upset fans. You don't know what you've got until it's gone .

On the photo... photos always look great. Though do you see those ants on the pitch in the photo? Wait until you're sitting in it for real! I tried to convince myself of all this before we moved to DV.

Sorry, I feel terrible for being so negative. I try to be eternally optimistic!

I've sat in the top tier at wembley and never had any problems. From many photos and videos of hertha berlin the view looks fine.

Put retractable seating behind the goals and I think we'll be fine.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

GideaParkHammer wrote: I am not a sensitive man, but I think I am going to cry. No, you have broken me. I am now going to phone the Russians and ask them why they did not obliterate the Berlin Olympic Stadium with the rest of Berlin.

Truthfully I have never seen so much bandwagon jumping since someone first posted a You Tube video of f***ing Hertha Berlin's fans. Now everyone thinks that we will become f***ing flagwaving, chanting Kruats when we move to the OS. The Germans love a good show of flags, and ritual singing. Perhaps I should dig out some old pathe films of Nuremburg.
:lol: , if you want I can personally link you to some more videos?
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Mike420 wrote: hertha berlin the view looks fine.
Mods, can the words Hertha and Berlin go on the list of band words? Pretty Please. If so I promise never again to mention Withdean
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

mywhufc wrote:Don't look too busy in the pic. As for their fans, they are the biggest club in Berlin, so bound to have more fans to make more noise. Haven't they gone down as well

As someone who has been there for an England game...i can honestly say its in my top 5 stadiums
GideaParkHammer

Mike420 wrote: if you want I can personally link you to some more videos?
Nah, that is OK, I have loads of videos of fans that are nothing like the English :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C0mIF5s ... dded#at=11
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:Hello Rotherham fan , and WelKumb to this board . :thup:

Are you at home this weekend - I may just pop up with a camera if you are ?

Is the Don Valley stadium similar to Hertha Berlins ?

Are you having a laugh Pinky ??

Bit like comparing the Withdean with Wembley
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

GideaParkHammer wrote: Mods, can the words Hertha and Berlin go on the list of band words? Pretty Please. If so I promise never again to mention Withdean
Come come GPH, you're not suggesting that the well designed and fit for purpose Berlin stadium is in anyway not the very twin of Stratford are you ?

The game will be up , and reality will bite 2 seconds after anyone of us walks inside Stratford and sees the pitch in relation to the stands .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:Come come GPH, you're not suggesting that the well designed and fit for purpose Berlin stadium is in anyway not the very twin of Stratford are you ?

The game will be up , and reality will bite 2 seconds after anyone of us walks inside Stratford and sees the pitch in relation to the stands .

The Olympic Stadium that has only been modernised from the original 1930s structure you mean ???

They left a lot of the original stuff too...

Im sure if the Krauts can do it...we can
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

barlimanrob wrote:
Mate, I think it's quite different.

The sides are straight, they will be a lot closer to the pitch at the halfway line than we will.
You're right I assumed that the jump pits were on the roofed stand side, having looked at some other pictures they appear to be recessed into the far side side stands if you get my drift.
GideaParkHammer

the pink palermo wrote: Come come GPH, you're not suggesting that the well designed and fit for purpose Berlin stadium is in anyway not the very twin of Stratford are you ?

Well, London will be the 30th Olympic games, and if you read these threads, only Wembley and Berlin have hosted the last 29. Wembley has been knocked down, so I guess we can only compare to Berlin, and those crazy Hethaites
OxHammer

Post by OxHammer »

I was at the Don Valley earlier in the season watching Oxford Utd play. You're never gonna get a good atmosphere in a stadium that has 20,000 empty seats, playing in a different town. Refusing to sell alcohol after kick-off was a real killer aswell.
boleyn4life

Post by boleyn4life »

UpTheMillers wrote:. Sadly, I fear that the real Olympic legacy will be decades of disgruntlement for West Ham fans who loathe that they are stuck in a soulless bowl not designed with the beautiful game in mind.

It's almost certainly too late, but I truly wish there was some way you could mount some opposition, and screw the Olympic committee or whichever pen pushers thought this was a good idea, I don't care what the world thinks about building a stadium for a few weeks and the knocking it down, I fear that a football club is going to have it's beating heart ripped from its chest.

Peace

Hi mate ~ that is exactly what i fear.
I'm gutted we are leaving the Boleyn but i could have accepted it more if we were going to a purpose built football ground,where the stands were much nearer the pitch without that sodding running track.Sadly we are stuck with it.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Saw Def Leppard at the Don Valley many moons ago :thup:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

barlimanrob wrote:
Mate, I think it's quite different.

The sides are straight, they will be a lot closer to the pitch at the halfway line than we will.
We should have our sides straight. No reason they can't come up to the running track minimum. I hate that bow down the sides more than the distances behind the goals.
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

It's all about waiting for the rich Arab now.

Let's do a man city f*** it. I would rather not do it this way but there is no way we'll win a trophy otherwise
:crest:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The stands at Berlin are as close to the running track as possible and the rake of the seats is fantastic, looking at the pictures. Alas I can't see the board spending the sort of money that they spent in Berlin. Is the OS having a claret running track ?

From wiki

With the intention of creating a more intimate atmosphere for football games, the playing field was lowered (even more) by 2.65 metres (8.7 ft); approximately 90,000 cubic metres (120,000 yd3) of sand was excavated. The lower tier of seating in the stadium was demolished and rebuilt at a completely different angle of inclination.
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Metal Hammer wrote:Saw Def Leppard at the Don Valley many moons ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfyDgNbaiyg :thup:
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

A thoroughly mischievous thread, in which a supporter from a lower league club with low attendance, one who has not been on this site before, draws upon their experience in a stadium that has little, in truth, in common with the OS - apart from each having a track - to 'commiserate' with our supporters. Hmm :think:
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Well let's face it those in favour of the move are basing their support on nothing more than a stadium that nobody has any experience of at all even for athletics and on a desire to stop Spurs moving there. Once the Boleyn is gone and we have moved in we had just better hope it isn't ****, hadn't we? Typical English balls up. No thought put into it at all. It would have been obvious to anyone that the only viable way of the place surviving in any form after the Olympics was with a football club inhabiting it and yet that was not taken into account at all in the design.