Change of Crest?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Iron-worx

Re: Change of Crest?

Post by Iron-worx »

Trap1 wrote:Isn't the castle a representation of our current location rather than the club's origins?
The earliest use of a castle that I've been able to find is early 1920s and a clear depiction of Lady Garrets Tower (The Boleyn Castle) in Green Street.

That would tend to suggest that the Castle was added due to the clubs location in Green Street rather than from the name of the team that Thames Ironworks FC superceded in 1895, Old Castle Swifts - But I don't definitely know that, that's just the best that I've been able to ascertain over many many years and I'm always looking for further info.

When the Castle was added, early 1920s at the latest, Old Castle Swifts would have been a not too distant memory at the club and it is plausible that the Castle was added for both reasons rather than just one.

I would raise a protest with the club if ever the castle (or the crossed hammers) were to be dropped as both are emblematic of the clubs origins - I would have no objections to discreet Olympic rings being added should we move to the OS because history is always in the making.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

the copyright laws on the olympic rings, are some of the most stringent in the world, there is no way at all they'd allow their use in any badge, they like every image in the host city eradicated with rings on them, and only allow the use by the host nation of the time for a limited period,

and doing moody ones saw instant nickings enforced, they monitor it heavily
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

The Russian fencing team wear the Olympic rings on their kit, and have done for as long as I can remember. Every age group, every international tournament, including the Olympics: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/NYWaBkWU ... ga+Kharlan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Admittedly fencing is nowhere near as high-profile a sport as football, but nevertheless the IOC are surely aware of this seeing as fencing has featured at every single modern Olympic Games and Russia are historically the best fencing nation ever.

I've no idea how they get away with it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Start getting used to it now as :crest: will be no more!
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

sutts07 wrote:Image

I quite like that.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

You forgot to put Karren Brady's profile on it.
Last edited by Doc H Ball on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

The scaremongering and paranoia on here is laughable at times. It's a wonder any of you leave the house.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Quite like the badge but we would remain West Ham United I would hope.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Rio wrote:The scaremongering and paranoia on here is laughable at times. It's a wonder any of you leave the house.
:thup:

Seeing as this one still ludicrously hasn't been Locked, I'm also considering starting the following threads completely without foundation or any credible sources whatsoever:

~ Change of Kit Colours? Well it happened @ Cardiff, didn't it?

~ Drinking ban within 1 miles radius of the OS?

~ Plot to invite $purs to share the OS with us within 5 years of moving in?

~ Move to OS entirely motivated by secret plan to bring back the Bond Scheme?

~ Train style 'Quiet Zones' to be introduced at the OS?
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Rio wrote:The scaremongering and paranoia on here is laughable at times. It's a wonder any of you leave the house.

:thup:

Seeing as this one still ludicrously hasn't been Locked, I'm also considering starting the following threads completely without foundation or any credible sources whatsoever:

~ Change of Kit Colours? Well it happened @ Cardiff, didn't it?

~ Drinking ban within 1 miles radius of the OS?

~ Plot to invite $purs to share the OS with us within 5 years of moving in?

~ Move to OS entirely motivated by secret plan to bring back the Bond Scheme?

~ Train style 'Quiet Zones' to be introduced at the OS?

Two of my favorite posts for quite a while together here!! LOL
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

We are known as the Hammers, so the hammers are much more emblematic than the Castle ever has been in my opinion, and those ridiculous towers at the Boleyn are such a joke that it actually turned me off the whole 'castle' symbolism.

Clearly the association with the Boleyn Castle (which let's face it was a house!) or the Castle Swifts got kicked out long ago and was replaced with something else that was supposed to represent a 'fortress'. But it's a pretty manufactured symbolism that doesn't really capture our local history in the way the Hammers do. All clubs try to make out their home ground is a 'fortress', so it's not even original.

Personally, I would like to see us use some kind of industrial/arcitectural symbolism associated with Stratford's old identity before the Olympics, just as we did by incorporating the Boleyn Castle. That would be consistent, but it would also be an opportunity to connect again with that early working class identity.

Stratford has had an industrial landscape for much of the last 400+ years, which connects with our own past in the ironworks. I would look for some kind of interesting industrial architecture being used that relates specifically to the Stadium area. There were lots of different factories in the area, like gunpowder mills, small arms factories, ironworks, confectionery makers and noxious chemical plants. There were even several soap factories - bubbles anyone!

Some people have been complaining that the Olympic Park has turned its back on its 'industrial' past as if ashamed, so it would be fitting if West Ham went out of its way to bring that connection back.

History is about holding onto important threads, but it is also about turning pages.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Northern_Light wrote:We are known as the Hammers, so the hammers are much more emblematic than the Castle ever has been in my opinion, and those ridiculous towers at the Boleyn are such a joke that it actually turned me off the whole 'castle' symbolism.

Clearly the association with the Boleyn Castle (which let's face it was a house!) or the Castle Swifts got kicked out long ago and was replaced with something else that was supposed to represent a 'fortress'. But it's a pretty manufactured symbolism that doesn't really capture our local history in the way the Hammers do. All clubs try to make out their home ground is a 'fortress', so it's not even original.

Personally, I would like to see us use some kind of industrial/arcitectural symbolism associated with Stratford's old identity before the Olympics, just as we did by incorporating the Boleyn Castle. That would be consistent, but it would also be an opportunity to connect again with that early working class identity.

Stratford has had an industrial landscape for much of the last 400+ years, which connects with our own past in the ironworks. I would look for some kind of interesting industrial architecture being used that relates specifically to the Stadium area. There were lots of different factories in the area, like gunpowder mills, small arms factories, ironworks, confectionery makers and noxious chemical plants. There were even several soap factories - bubbles anyone!

Some people have been complaining that the Olympic Park has turned its back on its 'industrial' past as if ashamed, so it would be fitting if West Ham went out of its way to bring that connection back.

History is about holding onto important threads, but it is also about turning pages.
The 'Castle' was/has been local history for a few hundred years, as for not original at least it really existed !!

Instead of Bubbles, how about a load of tyres like there was where pudding mill DLR is :wink:

Matches instead of Hammers, Bryant and May was over the road !!!!

I think we'll end up with something like Sutts07 has done, possible minus the stadium symbol as it may look different once the floodlight are removed.
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

Pop Robson wrote:The 'Castle' was/has been local history for a few hundred years, as for not original at least it really existed !!
It existed as a house with parapets and a turret, but purely as an architectural feature, much like the All Saints Church in Stratford. Nothing special about parapets. The stretch to the fortress symbol was a big departure from that local history, but nobody seems much bothered. Personally, I think it was fine to play on it, but I don't think it was an essential part of who the Hammers were, i.e. Thames Ironworks!
Instead of Bubbles, how about a load of tyres like there was where pudding mill DLR is :wink:
Ah, a creative genius at work!
Matches instead of Hammers, Bryant and May was over the road !!!!
...juices really flowing now!

Point is, I really would like to see us use something that DID exist in Stratford, that clearly shows our 'industrial' roots. That's being true to the history, and perhaps more true than the present day 'fortress' on the badge.
Last edited by Northern_Light on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Northern_Hammer, your avatar means that I really can't take what you're saying seriously!
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

Rocket wrote:Northern_Hammer, your avatar means that I really can't take what you're saying seriously!
I guess you paid as much attention to my points as you did to my username :wink:
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Northern_Light wrote:I guess you paid as much attention to my points as you did to my username
:oops:
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

Whitters wrote: Image
I love these old coat of arms badges. Probably unrealistic for a modern badge though. Shame.

If we did change and get rid of the castle, I'd be for bringing back the anchor from Thames Ironworks. Not only does it represent the past of West Ham but the history of England as well. You lot are rightly famous for your ships, and the ancestors that built them.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Northern_Light wrote: Personally, I would like to see us use some kind of industrial/arcitectural symbolism associated with Stratford's old identity before the Olympics, just as we did by incorporating the Boleyn Castle. That would be consistent, but it would also be an opportunity to connect again with that early working class identity.
How about this... with crossed hammers in front of it...

Oh wait... :o
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

How about this... with crossed hammers in front of it
Not sure if you are being sarcy or not. :)

Perhaps the Castle was originally intended a composite of the Boleyn Castle and the old Iron Works building.

But I think my point still stands. If we are moving way from the Boleyn, then why not return the icon more to its 'industrial' image? As it's already quite similar, it won't be a massive wrench for those that like the basic image.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

sutts07 wrote:Image

Get that out of my slight