23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Re: 23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

Post by Up the Junction »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Were the plans shown in visual form, or solely through words and statistic?
If I may speak on Dave's behalf momentarily AH, your question has already been answered in the KUMB news story:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

54,000 in football mode sounds more appropriate than 60,000. My biggest concern in this has never been how far away the seats are from the pitch, but about how the stadium would feel when not totally full....always thought 50,000 was a more realistic size to be aiming for, anything which gets closer to that is a good thing IMO.

Had trouble understanding the griping about distance from the pitch since it became widely accepted there would be retractable seating. Thought the view was fine when I was at the Olympics, and now there'll be seats even closer so if you want a good view at the stadium, you'll be able to get one. No doubt there will be some sections that are further away then at present, but nobody will be forcing you to sit there. And in a general sense for pretty much any sporting occasion - if I wanted a perfect view I'd never attend a game...I'd watch it on TV. Which, in a circular way, gets back to my initial concern - which is with the number of seats and the design of the roof etc. being conducive to a good atmosphere. THAT'S the real crucial issue IMO.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Aceface wrote:54,000 in football mode sounds more appropriate than 60,000...
Without a doubt the view would have been totally unacceptable if the seats remained as they were, especially the areas behind the goals. But after reading the KUMB article, (no idea how I missed that UTJ, thanks for the heads up!) I feel much more comfortable with the news that all four stands will be brought together with retractable seating.

I have to say I also felt happier when I heard the figure of 54,000, which just seems more appropriate and as you say, conducive to a good atmosphere. Make no mistake though, the viewing distances are the most crucial issues. A football stadium, especially an English one at that, simply will not work if the fans feel too detached from the match. It would seem promising that the reaction towards the retractable seating is primarily positive. I was watching Roma - Atalanta in the Coppa Italia and it is dreadful to imagine that stadium scenario for us. Thankfully, that looks to have been avoided with the retractable seating.

If the stadium looks anything like the artists impression that was released some time ago, I'd be delighted. Reading about claret and blue panels on Twitter, if true, would suggest that the early impression still has some relevance. Now if only those horrible seats could change colour!

Looking forward to the plans being released in the New Year and can only hope that we do not see delays in that like we have seen with the bidding process.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Aztec Hammer wrote: (no idea how I missed that UTJ, thanks for the heads up!)
That's fine AH. I'm used to it :D
Aztec Hammer wrote:Now if only those horrible seats could change colour!
Big fan of white seats here. The claret ones in the BG have faded terribly and look pony now.
Aceface wrote:Thought the view was fine when I was at the Olympics, and now there'll be seats even closer so if you want a good view at the stadium, you'll be able to get one.
I believe the lower tier will hold less than 25k Ace, so unless you're a season ticket holder the chances are you'll be sat in the upper tier.

Many who attended the games in the summer have since said they would not want to watch football from that far away - but that is the stark choice most members/occasional visitors will be faced with, it seems.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

the pink palermo wrote:Using all the good people for your galley slaves as your little boat struggles through the warning waves

World Party, ship of fools .

I'll have plenty to say once the gagging order comes off .
Bang!
mushy

Post by mushy »

brownout wrote:Emergency SAB meeting Tuesday 11th.
Those attending still have to sign Non Disclosure Agreements. Mobiles etc have to be handed in beforehand.
How can members represent other fans when they cannot report back to them?
This all seems so extreme, mobiles handed in, sorry that bordering on the ridiculous.
There cannot be anything that SAB have been told that any decent hack could learn in 5 mins.

What would happen to you all if you broke the non-disclosure order?
I assume its not a state secret as such so not against the law, just that you may get sued or something.
A sign of the times.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

mushy wrote:What would happen to you all if you broke the non-disclosure order?
One would be removed from the consultancy process.
mushy

Post by mushy »

So if someone came on here as an anonymous poster (as most of us are anyway),and post the results what would happen?
Would you have to take the can?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

mushy wrote:So if someone came on here as an anonymous poster (as most of us are anyway),and post the results what would happen?
Unsure what results you're referring to mushy but if a registered member posted confidential information that could place either myself, as owner, or KUMB in a difficult position then we'd have no option but to revoke that particular member's posting privileges.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Could those that attended possibly let me know in the form of a noise how good the stadium looked?...a guide being the sound of a fog horn as bad and a James Brown scream as good.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Georgee Paris wrote:Could those that attended possibly let me know in the form of a noise how good the stadium looked?...a guide being the sound of a fog horn as bad and a James Brown scream as good.
:tune:

Where the plans, actual plans or an artists impression as we had previously ?

gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

i guess that the old artists impression is actually not that in-accurate.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

gavind wrote:i guess that the old artists impression is actually not that in-accurate.
I doubt that the lower tier will abutt the upper tier like that. Especially at that sharp angle which would give a good lower tier view.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote: I believe the lower tier will hold less than 25k Ace, so unless you're a season ticket holder the chances are you'll be sat in the upper tier.

Many who attended the games in the summer have since said they would not want to watch football from that far away - but that is the stark choice most members/occasional visitors will be faced with, it seems.
Is that right? Don't know why, I presumed the vast majority would be seated within the retractable part, with the current ends largely cut off, which would leave only the top tiers on the sides as the 'current' seats that would be used. It's very hard to picture it all without seeing the plans. I still can't get my head around how they're solving the end sections given the massive distances.

Price-dependent, I wouldn't be averse to sitting where I did during the Olympics, which was on the side of the upper tiers - roughly equivalent to the angle you'd get sitting in the West upper a block or so from the STB. Certainly wasn't as good as where I'd normally sit at the Boleyn, but I could live with it. Can't speak for other areas of the stadium though
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If the plans turn out to be as good as the artist made them look, I'd be intrigued to know the reasons those who will still be saying 'No' would give. Are you against moving from The Boleyn per se, or is it because the proposed OS conversion still doesn't meet your needs?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Up the Junction wrote:I believe the lower tier will hold less than 25k Ace, so unless you're a season ticket holder the chances are you'll be sat in the upper tier.
That seems to suggest that each retractable seating section will be tiny doesn't it? Divided equally between the four sides thats four tiers of 6,500 each section.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Just out of interest, at these meetings, are any concerns of the supporters against the move aired or discussed. If they are, how are they addressed by the board. I get the sense they're sidestepped or ignored in a political fashion, though I hope I'm wrong.

I've no agenda, just a suspicion, as I think the only people that should be making the decision are current season ticket holders alone, ( of which I am not one ), as those alone I trust are fully aware of the responsibility, whichever way their vote goes.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

hamagram wrote:I think the only people that should be making the decision are current season ticket holders alone.
I don't think that's entirely the case. They're certainly the most important group that needs to be heard from given they're your hardcore, but aside from the fact that it is slightly arbitrary anyway - does someone who bought their first season ticket this year deserve to be heard more than someone who, for instance, had one for 20 years and then stopped this season? There would be plenty of examples like this - the decision to move is about far more than where people sit. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be thinking of moving.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

I ask why are we moving. Many say that it's to progress, go to the next level what ever that means. Compete with the big boys.
IMO what I saw last night that stadium will not do that, but then no stadium gives you that. Is it worth moving to just finish more regulary in the top 10 because what I saw and heard that's the best we will get.
Last night we only got the 1 side of the story. Why always compare the OS to Wembley, I've only ever seen us there 3 times, yet over 700 at the Boleyn why not compare sight lines etc etc to what we have.
If it is only 54,000 then income will be less or the cheap tickets won't be as what many think it will be.
If you cover the running track with seats are not those upstairs still looking over the track.
Why not compare what is the possibility of a finished Boleyn V the OS.
The owners say they are here for life and hopefully their kids step up., so no rich oligarch etc etc to bankrole us into top 4, then the stadium must pay for it, and that stadium IMO will not pay for that so called next level.
That's why I voted no, apart from my emotional tie to the ground.
I don't want a brand West Ham, a marketing tool to sell this or that, just a football club, that plays football, managed well and run well that pays for itself.
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

Great post mywhufc - my sentiments exactly

Interesting to hear from someone who was there bringing some realism to the debate