23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: 23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

Post by Pop Robson »

54,000 capacity so 26,000 empty seats even before we play Wigan !!!!!
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Pinks...Did you ask again how much money would filter through to the playing squad and did you get an answer?
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Why actually has the LLDC continued to demand confidentiality at this stage ? I thought that now we have been nominated as the first bidders there shouldn't be a problem as these are just plans yet that may or may not come to fruition depending on sorting out the finances.

From the snippets I've read it'll be a fantastic stadium even though it started life as an athletics stadium.
And when I hear people complaining about seats being further away from the pitch than currently at the Boleyn: Isn't it quite obvious that at least some seats will be further away from the pitch as the OS is bigger than the Boleyn Ground ?

If the ground ends up as a slightly more modern version of Wembley, would people consider this not right or appropriate for West Ham ? Or is it just the case of some people simply not wanting a bigger ground for West Ham as they want West Ham to stay just as they are without actively trying to attract new fans? Fair point as there's always the fear we won't continue to be a special club if suddenly kids all over the UK start running around in claret and blue.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Sustained success on the pitch will get the kids wanting West Ham shirts, not a rented re-configured athletics stadium.

Have you ever been over Central Park before a home and the locals are playing football, in Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool shirts.

I even seen Chelsea :thdn:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

HamburgHammer wrote:And when I hear people complaining about seats being further away from the pitch than currently at the Boleyn: Isn't it quite obvious that at least some seats will be further away from the pitch as the OS is bigger than the Boleyn Ground ?
You do realise it is the FRONT row people are quoting the distance to don't you?
HamburgHammer wrote: If the ground ends up as a slightly more modern version of Wembley, would people consider this not right or appropriate for West Ham ? Or is it just the case of some people simply not wanting a bigger ground for West Ham as they want West Ham to stay just as they are without actively trying to attract new fans?
Wembley is ok for big occasions, I wouldn't want it as a "normal" club stadium due to the distances the front row is away. The facilities away from the pitch are good at Wembley, as you say who wouldn't want that.
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

So if the front row seats really are about 4 metres further away from the pitch than now I can see this as a deal breaker for many fans unfortunately. The rest of the OS can be as phenomenal as any great stadium in the world, this will be the argument people are going to use when rejecting the idea of moving into the OS.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Pop Robson wrote:Sustained success on the pitch will get the kids wanting West Ham shirts, not a rented re-configured athletics stadium
Don't you think sustained success will be more achievable with increased revenue from extra support, more attractive corporate facillities etc. etc.?
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

HamburgHammer wrote:So if the front row seats really are about 4 metres further away from the pitch than now I can see this as a deal breaker for many fans unfortunately. The rest of the OS can be as phenomenal as any great stadium in the world, this will be the argument people are going to use when rejecting the idea of moving into the OS.
How far would you say the current first seats are away from the touchline at present in the east side lower.
Must be over 10m surely?
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Coloured font removed.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Rio wrote: Don't you think sustained success will be more achievable with increased revenue from extra support, more attractive corporate facillities etc. etc.?
No not without the success first, you can't charge top prices otherwise.

You'll get the initial new stadium lot but they won't stay if we're not successfully or get relegated.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Pop Robson wrote:No not without the success first, you can't charge top prices otherwise.

You'll get the initial new stadium lot but they won't stay if we're not successfully or get relegated.
With all due respect that is complete nonsense.

We've charged top prices for years and still manage to have a more than healthy support. Even before the intiatives by our owners to make football more affordable. This despite the fact our stadium is cheaply assembled, disjointed mess with horrendous transport links.

You yourself have just admitted that we'll get an immediate influx of fans because of the new stadium. More bums on seats equals more money coming in. Without neccesarily charging more.

Improved corporate facillities in the heart of one of the biggest financial capital cities in the world will attract more corporate income.

Every club in the top 2 divisions who have moved to new grounds have seen an initial groundswell of support. That, without the neccesary statistics at my disposal, has been maintained to a higher degree than that of when they we're in their former homes regardless of success. Sunderland this season have averaged 39826. That 15 years after moving from Roker Park, which held nowhere that figure and they've not been rolling in silverware, have had as many ups and downs as us too.

The Boleyn Ground some are getting misty eyed and sentimental over isn't fit for purpose for us. It's death knell was sounded in 1993 when the Bobby Moore stand was erected and it ceased to be the place I grew up loving and found magical in 1995.

We have a chance now to move into a world class stadium. Admittedly it wasn't purpose built for football, but having seen the plans last night I'm more than satisfied that it will be fit for it. This is a chance for us to move forward. If we don't we'll continue to be a mid table at best outfit, clutching at memories of past glories and the what if's. Pretty much like we do now
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think your dates are a little bit funky there Rio?
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

Rio wrote:This is a chance for us to move forward. If we don't we'll continue to be a mid table at best outfit, clutching at memories of past glories and the what if's. Pretty much like we do now
Exactly Rio, that's why some of the posters on here are reluctant to leave the Boleyn as deep down they probably want to stay the club as it is, like a closed shop of diehard fans, drifting around midtable, having the odd relegation and promotion, sometimes even a decent cup run, but not challenging constantly.

This perennial underdog tag has suited us fine, proving to the rest of the world time and time again how big our support is in the face of adversity, ridiculious decisions and downright misery. Now as virtually out of nothing we are being thrown a lifeline, a great stadium that after conversion other clubs would kill for, some of our diehard supporters are reacting like a rabbit in the headlights. We know there will be no guarantees for success if we move into the OS.

We may still get caught in a relegation scrap, we may still get relegated and renting the bigger capacity OS may even result in us doing a Coventry. Yet, realistically how big are the chances of this happening with G&S, Brady and Allardyce around ? The risks are there, but aren't the opportunities so much bigger, too big in fact to turn this down ? Why are people so afraid if we attract bigger crowds and gain more fans all over the world ? We don't have to become a plastic club like Chelsea only because new fans join the Hammers faithful.

We might no longer be the underdog or everyone's second team, but we would still remain a fantastic club, steeped in history, but finally with hopes for a sustained future. The Boleyn unfortunately is rapidly approaching its sell-by date. Still, I'd expect a vote on the OS to be very close as the OS seems to divide supporters' opinions right through the middle...
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

HamburgHammer wrote:The Boleyn unfortunately is rapidly approaching its sell-by date.
Not at all. If London Transport and the Police played ball then we could expand the East Stand as planned and we'd have a fantastic football ground and a large part of peoples objection to UP would be removed. No wheelie-stands required. No massive lawyers fees needed to be paid. A proper home, where everyone is close to the pitch and the atmosphere is intimidating and unique.

There is no sell-by date on a football ground. The Boleyn is no different to many modern stadiums all over the country. It isn't as shiny as The Emirates, or the OS (at the moment) but I can't see any way in which it is approaching some mythical sell-by date?
KierZ
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by KierZ »

when you say neutrals are welcome...

does this mean like fulham?
also how do you police neutrals.... if it kicks off in a neutral part of the ground would west ham fans be blamed ect?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Don't mess with the neutrals, I saw them smash up the casuals before shittin on the NF.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Clearly the Boleyn is unique, but it's not so unique that it's worth passing up the opportunity of a lifetime.

The OS has the perfect infrastructure in place. There is no better place for a ground in East London or London for that matter. It's a size where we can grow into and never grow out of. It will now be made fit for football.

If we don't move, then we will have accepted our perennial midtable/relegation battling status for the foreseeable future, which in my opinion is selling ourselves short. We're capable of much greater things because we the fans are unique.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Sod the whole lower tier, just give us rail seats like the Südtribüne in Dortmund. Give us a roof to cover it and we're laughing :lol:
West Ham Dave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by West Ham Dave »

At times like this, a lot of things get said/reported, and as always they fall into 3 categories
1/ True
2/ Partly true
3/ Not a chance in hell
And all three categories certainly apply to what I have read on here.

If I was one of those who never attended last night, I to would be chomping at the bit for info, but as keeps being repeated it's not possible to go beyond UTJ's summery at this time, and January isn’t that far away now.

Personally I started 100% against the move, having now attended all but one of the relevant meetings, and subject to what we have been shown and told ACTUALLY happening, my view is shifting, I'm not a diehard convert yet, but I was much more impressed with what I saw last night, than I thought I was going to be.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I just want to say thanks to all those that give up their free time to attend the meetings.

It's easy to sit back and criticise and I for one as a fan outside of London appreciate those that go.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

West Ham Dave wrote:Personally I started 100% against the move, having now attended all but one of the relevant meetings, and subject to what we have been shown and told ACTUALLY happening, my view is shifting, I'm not a diehard convert yet, but I was much more impressed with what I saw last night, than I thought I was going to be.
That last part is good to hear. I know you are bound by the NDA, but I think I'm ok to ask this, if not, by all means ignore it. Were the plans shown in visual form, or solely through words and statistic? It's so frustrating only having that old artists impression of the stadium to go by, which probably is completely irrelevant now anyway!