Why no campaign against the move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Why no campaign against the move?

Post by brownout »

It puzzles me why with the majority of fans opposing the owners plans to move our club to Stratford there is no campaign against it.

Mywhufc ran a campaign last year but that stopped when West Ham were initally chosen to own the stadium.

WHU's VIEW campaign for a poll, but are neither for or against.

Spurs fans were quick to protest when their owners wanted to move to Stratford. We have protested against owners, managers etc before. All I have seen against Stratford is one banner in the ground (last season) and Mywhufc's petition.

I know there are many unknowns but it seems strange that out of perhaps 20,000 regular fans who oppose the move no one seems to be doing anything try to stop it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Re: Why no campaign against the move?

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If the Daves decide the numbers add up and want to move they will move. The only way you can stop them is to buy a controlling interest in the club.

Banners saying "Down with this sort of thing" will not affect their decision.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I think most people are pretty hostile towards the move. However, the lack of specifics means that there is actually very little, except the initial act of leaving the Boleyn, for people to get worked up about.

The club are playing an absolute blinder, they know that if people start kicking off about specific aspects of the new ground they can just turn around and say "how do you know? No details have been released yet and all concerns will be addressed during the 'consultation' period blah, blah, blah". There is nothing concrete to actually protest against as far as I can see.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

It's not a cut and dry issue, there are large numbers who actually want to move and there are large numbers who want to know more before arriving at their decision.......
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

Agree with denbighhammer....the club are playing a classic game of divide and conquer which means that any protest would probably lack the necessary gusto and would leave the Club with a classic get -out clause of saying that all concerns would be addressed later on.

That said, I still think some sort of protest would help, especially with media attention. When we are sitting there in the athletics stadium with the promises unfulfilled with the financial rationale given, it will be too late. I can't believe more people haven't seen through D, S & B's utter disregard for the truth.....very fine line in PR between commerical positioning and bulls*it and they have definitely crossed that line time and time again (I'm thinking of the conversations with their mouthpiece Ian Tompkins when I say that even though he seems like a decent bloke)
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Iron-worx wrote:It's not a cut and dry issue, there are large numbers who actually want to move and there are large numbers who want to know more before arriving at their decision.......
I'm surprised at anyone wants to move to a purpose athletics stadium. Be interesting on the Kumb poll to know how many that voted yes are STH or regular attendees

As for a campaign, look at the grief mywhufc got !

It's modern day society
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Pop Robson wrote:
I'm surprised at anyone wants to move to a purpose athletics stadium. Be interesting on the Kumb poll to know how many that voted yes are STH or regular attendees

As for a campaign, look at the grief mywhufc got !

It's modern day society
It is definitely not a cut and dry issue, the poll shows that for every 11 saying no there are 7 saying not no
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The problem with West Ham is that is has no organised Fans organisation independant from the club to run a campaign.
I didn't know where to go or what to do, and I think it showed, I didn't even know about KUMB or Westhamonline, then when I did turn up on here some treated me with suspicion, some thought I was a loon. To be honest what done for me was spuds throwing there hat in the ring.
Until its known if the club will bid and what form that bid takes I can't see any protest taking off, and as I was at the recent SAB meeting where many in there changed in 90 minutes from against to pro, on the basis of out of date information, once the clubs PR machine click into gear I could see the fence sitters falling off into the pro move camp. I'm more anti if that was possible,than I was before mainly because of what I saw at the SAB meeting, and after the WHUs view meeting with the club, but until after the we know if the club will bid, which they will, and what they have planned I can't see any protest asking off.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Iron-worx wrote: It is definitely not a cut and dry issue, the poll shows that for every 11 saying no there are 7 saying not no
11 Against 7 For the move, motion carried no move !

I wonder why don't the club do a poll :think:
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Pop Robson wrote: 11 Against 7 For the move, motion carried no move !

Because the club ain't a democracy, the directors/owners have to make the decision that's best for the club (the business) not one the fans agree with, and anyway agreeing with the move or not is not what the club are interested in, it's whether you will go or not!
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Pop Robson wrote:
11 Against 7 For the move, motion carried no move !

No... That's not the point. The point is that the fanbase is not a democracy by which a 51 to 49% majority holds sway, and the KUMB poll shows that for every 11 saying no there are 7 saying not no.....

It is not a cut and dried issue by any means, and any protest campaign would NOT represent the views of a very large minority of supporters, many of who are actually for a move and many more of who like me don't think that it can be fairmindedly said either yes or no without knowing a considerable amount more....

11 to 7 is not by any means an overwhelming majority....

The club are not a democracy either and they will doubtless do exactly what I would do, decide on the matter personally including consideration of what the disgruntled may or may not do, but essentially f*** what anybody else thinks.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Presenting the Poll results as 11 v 7 is disingenuous :
it is implying that the (roughly) 3 out of 7 who are undecided will eventually vote "YES"

Why not 14 (not "YES") v 4 ("YES") :)
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

uptonparkhurst wrote:Presenting the Poll results as 11 v 7 is disingenuous :
it is implying that the (roughly) 3 out of 7 who are undecided will eventually vote "YES"

Why not 14 (not "YES") v 4 ("YES") :)
I have no idea how you work that one out, lets demolish it without delay....

The thread is titled 'Why no campaign AGAINST the move'...

And the answer is because for every 11 who voted no in the poll 7 didn't vote no, they are either for a move or don't know enough yet to decide one way or the other, none of the 7 are against the move as of this very moment in time - Nothing is implied about anybody thems the facts....

So any campaign against the move would NOT represent the views of 7 in every 18 fans, and that's not the overwhelming majority that a lot of the against the moves try to make it out to be....

Why not 14 not yes 4 yes - obviously because the threads not titled: Why no campaign FOR the move...

More mythbusting courtessy of Ironworx.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Iron-worx wrote:More mythbusting courtessy of Ironworx.
:?

but is that just the Kumb poll ?
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

So why are the 60% of fans who have voted no on the latest poll, not doing anything to try to stop the owners moving our club, apparently against the wishes of the majority of fans?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2906 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Edit .
Last edited by the pink palermo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

PP

Thought provoking if slightly depressing reading :D

Think it sums up a lot of people's feelings. I'm in that bolshi 20-40 category for a few more years yet so I don't know if that explains my inclination to have some sort of protest! However, I don't think it has to negatively affect the team if done in the right way. The most recent demo's against Brown (few years ago) were done after the game (Coventry I think) and didn't affect the crowd getting behind the team for 90mins

Just a thought
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

DD wrote: I'm in that bolshi 20-40 category for a few more years yet
There is a lot in that, when you're younger you do think that you're able to influence things, even change them. But as you grow older you realise that if things change at all it takes forever and that it's more or less a waste of time trying....

Whatever you do somebody who almost invariably couldn't do it themselves even if they lived two lifetimes will criticise, which results in you doing it f*** what anybody else thinks....

If somebodies going to criticise whatever you do then it may as well be after you've done what you prefer to and it's a foregone conclusion....

Sullivan and Gold are considerably older than me, and they've been high profile for much of their lives so they know those things even better than I do.....

They will weigh up all the pros and cons, because they're successful business men and they're good at that, and part of what they will weigh up is what effect their decision will have on attendances.....

If they think attendances will not be adversely affected, and from a projection I remember seeing some time back it would seem that they think that attendances will rise, and if other factors on balance make sense for a move, then they will move....

But it will be very very much f*** what anybody else thinks, let those who criticise do so after it's a foregone conclusion because that's the way of the world.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

From day one I've been amazed how meekly the West Ham fans have gone along with everything that Gold, Sullivan and Brady have spouted.

We're quite a lilly livered bunch aren't we?

If the Eastenders of the 1940s had capitulated like we have then we'd all be speaking German !!!
arlhe
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 176 likes

Post by arlhe »

I'm genuinely undecided; that's true for most West Ham fans I know. I'm pretty sure that's why there is no big protest movement.