Why no campaign against the move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: Why no campaign against the move?

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote:I think most people are pretty hostile towards the move. However, the lack of specifics means that there is actually very little, except the initial act of leaving the Boleyn, for people to get worked up about.

The club are playing an absolute blinder, they know that if people start kicking off about specific aspects of the new ground they can just turn around and say "how do you know? No details have been released yet and all concerns will be addressed during the 'consultation' period blah, blah, blah". There is nothing concrete to actually protest against as far as I can see.
Still stands ^^ and unfortunately the club will turn round one day and say "this is what we're doing" and when people (finally) have a look and don't like what they see the club will say "you should have spoken up before". The fact that we had no idea what was being proposed until that point will be conveniently forgotten in a wave of spin and bull****. Shame.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Sorry DH, that's complete b*llocks. If people dont have enough information to campaign against going to the O/S how can they decide if they are against the move or even as some have said will never go to the O/S. If the claimed majority against the move made a very public protest against the move the very least it would do is send a message to the board get the conversion wrong and you have got trouble, instead you are sleep walking your way to whatever the Daves and Brady decide is a good deal.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Hammer110 wrote:Sorry DH, that's complete b*llocks. If people dont have enough information to campaign against going to the O/S how can they decide if they are against the move or even as some have said will never go to the O/S. If the claimed majority against the move made a very public protest against the move the very least it would do is send a message to the board get the conversion wrong and you have got trouble, instead you are sleep walking your way to whatever the Daves and Brady decide is a good deal.
They have that message .They have been given that message in spades .They have been given that message in a 200 page document supplied by the SAB .

They know .They also know there is signifcant, and quantifed opposition to any move .

They are willing to gamble on recruting a new fan base ..........
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Hammer110 wrote:Sorry DH, that's complete b*llocks. If people dont have enough information to campaign against going to the O/S how can they decide if they are against the move or even as some have said will never go to the O/S.
This is entirely my point, although some say they will never set foot in the O/S, many more, even the hardened sceptics such as myself would like to see what the actual proposal is. It might not be that bad! However, I doubt it. People don't want to leave UP for a variety of reasons, one of mine being that I don't think the O/S is a necessary upheaval or a suitable football venue. However, I don't know because there are no plans for me to even look at in any kind of detail which makes me suspicious.

Hammer110, you are clearly 'for' the O/S but, as you haven't seen all the plans how do you even know what you are so positive about?
Hammer110 wrote: If the claimed majority against the move made a very public protest against the move the very least it would do is send a message to the board get the conversion wrong and you have got trouble, instead you are sleep walking your way to whatever the Daves and Brady decide is a good deal.
You say that the 'Claimed' majority are against the move as if that is some kind of spurious statement? Do you honestly, in your heart-of-hearts, think that the majority of people actually want to move?
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

the pink palermo wrote: They have that message .They have been given that message in spades .They have been given that message in a 200 page document supplied by the SAB .

They know .They also know there is signifcant, and quantifed opposition to any move .

Not wishing to denigrate the work of the SAB but I don't think they'd listen unless there were large-scale protests in and out of the ground over a period of weeks and months as with the Bond Scheme.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

PP actions speak far louder than words.

DH I challenge you to find anywhere where I have actually advocated the move, I have attempted to stay fairly neutral on the subject for two reasons not enough information and I don't get to many matches nowadays which I feel negates my opinion either way. But do i think the club should have a new stadium fit for the 21st century? Yes. Do I think the club should move to O/S as it stands today? No. Should we move to the O/S if a decent job of converting it is made? Probably yes, but I would like to see a shorter term lease with the option to renew long term which would give an option to explore a new build if things werent working out.

I have always been fairly vocal about the "claimed" majority against the move getting off its collective arse and doing something about it, which they have spectacularly failed to do.

Why do I say "claimed" because I have seen no concrete evidence to suggest otherwise, all the polls done have been self-selecting samples and in the vast majority of cases these types of polls result in a win for those with the most polarised view which is not always the view of the majority. Most of my real world friends who are S/T holders are fairly ambivalent about the move.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Comparing a Sp*rs no campaign to a West Ham no campaign is silly, because the campaigns are two very different thing. The Sp*rs campaign was mainly about not moving away from their historic area, which is fair enough. If S&G announced a plan to relocate to Stamford Hill, there would I reckon be massive opposition to it. The West Ham no is (mainly) to do with concerns about the suitability of the OS as a venue for football. The problem is that without knowing what the plans are - its been leaked a few times that some sort of over track seating is planned but we have no clue exactly what yet - most of us cant really decide whether we are for or against it. The tenant has to be selected and announced by October, after which there will be no good reason to withhold plans further, and it now appears likely that the first game wont be until August 2015. That gives us nearly three years to protest if those plans arent up to scratch. Time is on our side, to paraphrase Mick.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

the pink palermo wrote:They are willing to gamble on recruting a new fan base ..........
Really I think they're gambling on not losing as many as say they wouldn't come, and many of those that stick to their guns trickling back once we're there. And of course either recruiting some newcomers or bringing back supporters who may have been priced out through the use of targetted concessions.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Why a NO campaign......

Because the owners and Brady have managed to keep the fans silent by persuading the majority that they are acting for the clubs best interests. This has enabled them to recruit people on their behalf to follow through on their message.

By the time we want to protest with a NO campaign it will probably be far too late.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Hammer110, you will not get a proper opinion of our supporters until the full plans are revealed. My parents are STH in the BML and they are against the move and they tell me the vast majority around them are of the same opinion.

Tell me what a "stadium fit for the 21st century" is please?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

the pink palermo wrote:
Which will not happen unless the club is more successful than it has been in it's recent history.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammer110 wrote: all the polls done have been self-selecting samples
How is standing outside the ground asking attending fans to answer a neutral question 'self selecting'? Based on all available information do you support the boards plans for the O.S? 2,000 season ticket holders, 85% against.

People will walk away quietly.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:People will walk away quietly.
Agreed .

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm only going if we're in the Champions League.
WHURS

Post by WHURS »

Doc H Ball wrote: How is standing outside the ground asking attending fans to answer a neutral question 'self selecting'? Based on all available information do you support the boards plans for the O.S? 2,000 season ticket holders, 85% against.

People will walk away quietly.

Doc

Like most polls its self selecting when people have the option of not filling out the questionaire and walking away if they don't agree or don't care about the result or the cause.

out of interest how many questionaires did you have printed?, you had 2000 answered. But how many did you have left or how many were handed out ??
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

OK I'm willing to throw my hat into the ring. I am against the move
(this has been a pragmatic decision and one I have only finally come
to since visiting the stadium during the Olympics) and want to get
involved in creating a NO campaign. With the Olympics now over and the
new season starting it is now or never for getting an anti-move
coalition going.

I respect that some fans are for the move, but the No campaign has no
voice at all. I'm willing to provide PR and public affairs support for
this campaign (which I do as a living).

But...I will be doing so in my own free time and with my own money, so
I cannot do it alone. In particular I/we are clearly going to need
help creating a proper website and also having (some) financial
assistance with creating leaflets etc. Other than that all I need is
people to actually support the campaign, and a more eloquent
figurehead than myself.

Brownout or anyone else interested can PM me.

(To be clear this is a pro-West Ham campaign, not a pro-Leyton Orient,
Uk Athletics, Spurs campaign, Government-white elephant campaign)
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

I see DG is saying he doesn't believe the 88% figure on twitter,
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I respect that some fans are for the move, but the No campaign has no
voice at all. I'm willing to provide PR and public affairs support for
this campaign (which I do as a living).
Good luck but I suspect like mywhufc last time round you might find you face an uphill struggle and time is very short to try and gather enough support to prove to the club they could lose a substantial number of regular attendees if we move to the O/S, not agreeing with the mover is not enough.
Caribiron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

In the absence of concrete plans available for the vast majority of us it's difficult to know quite what you are opposing. I'm probably more sceptical than I was having been to the stadium, but if the plans are good enough would be more than happy to go. If you were to see the plans and still object, well, that's another story altogether.
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Caribiron wrote:In the absence of concrete plans available for the vast majority of us it's difficult to know quite what you are opposing. I'm probably more sceptical than I was having been to the stadium, but if the plans are good enough would be more than happy to go. If you were to see the plans and still object, well, that's another story altogether.
This is exactly why there will be no 'NO' campaign. People don't have the information to decide either way. If the plans are good, I would be more than happy to go. Its a big 'if' though.